Video of strange iPad behavior during flight
1258 19 2018-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hi everyone!  This is an update to the strange iPad screen behavior during flight I posted about a few days ago.  I went back to the same park where I had the trouble and got the same issue.  But then I tried it out in front of my appartment building and had no issues at all.  So I'm convinced it was isolated to the park.  It's strange because my Mavic Air had no problems at the same park using the same iPad. Anyway I'm going to post a video and you guys can look and tell me what you think.  

2018-7-24
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

What model iPad are you using?
2018-7-24
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-7-24 15:18
What model iPad are you using?

iPad mini 4
2018-7-24
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

It appears to be interruptions in the video feed. Have you tried changing the frequency?
2018-7-24
Use props
Arwon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226404 ft

Try a new cable, I too had a simulator issue and change the cable and for me it fixed the issue
2018-7-24
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-24 17:22
It appears to be interruptions in the video feed. Have you tried changing the frequency?

How do I change the frequency?
2018-7-25
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-25 13:36

20180726_074403.jpg

Once connected to the drone go into settings top right you will see a series of small dots then click on the above icon.
There you can change frequency settings
2018-7-25
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-25 13:47
[view_image]

Once connected to the drone go into settings top right you will see a series of small dots then click on the above icon.

Thank you!  I'll give that a try.
2018-7-25
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-25 13:47
[view_image]

Once connected to the drone go into settings top right you will see a series of small dots then click on the above icon.

Looks like there are 2 frequency choices.  What is the difference?  There are also different channels.  Not sure what that is about.
2018-7-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-25 13:36

Ok, time to get serious with you, here.

Did you RTFM? Please RTFM several times, helping you become more familiar with your rc model.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-25
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Lithuania

Well hello everyone,

I believe this matter was discussed not once, and i had this problem as well.

I'm using Ipad Air 1st gen CPU A7 i noted that with Litchi app it is working fine and with GO 4 app it has same glitches as in first video showing. However, if im flying with the same Ipad in the same place just in colder environment, it's working fine, so i made conclusion that i pad with A7 chip needs to be cooled down to work properly with GO 4 app. And i can tell the same think with Iphone6, it is forking fine until it gets let's say direct sun light in mid day, when it does it starts to give same glitches on the screen. So i think GO 4 app simply requires more computing power so it needs more powerful gadget.
2018-7-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have seen this on  android tablets too, it always goes away as soon as i take off
2018-7-25
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-25 14:22
Looks like there are 2 frequency choices.  What is the difference?  There are also different channels.  Not sure what that is about.

2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz.  It is said that the 5.8 Ghz band is more resistant to interference.  Also the bit rate or Code transmission rate should be set as low as possible (4 Mbps)  
2018-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

and turn off Video Caching in DJIGO.  For me, I always saw this problem when I was caching video on my iPad.  Too much bandwidth.

2018-7-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-7-26 13:50
and turn off Video Caching in DJIGO.  For me, I always saw this problem when I was caching video on my iPad.  Too much bandwidth.

I turned mine off and also did a firmware refresh as suggested by a You Tube drone pilot who demonstrated it.  I'm going to try it out this weekend and see if that works.  Will report back.  If it doesn't work I will return the drone.
2018-7-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

I think my iPad flashing black and green is resolved.  I did a firmware refresh and turned off video cache.  I went back out to the same park where the problem was observed and had no problems.  I'm not sure which fixed it but keeping my fingers crossed.
2018-7-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-27 15:23
I think my iPad flashing black and green is resolved.  I did a firmware refresh and turned off video cache.  I went back out to the same park where the problem was observed and had no problems.  I'm not sure which fixed it but keeping my fingers crossed.

It will be because you switched off the video caching. That problem with black and green screen is because the iPad is not able to keep up with the video streaming from the aircraft. And that is because DJI have put so many processes into the Go4 App that the iPad is choking on them. Shutting off the video caching makes less work for the iPad processor and it is able to then keep up.
2018-7-27
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-27 15:23

I had the same thing going on with my Mini 4 for ages and when I went to the latest DJI update the problem was resolved. I may get a green flash every so often but no where near as much as before.
2018-7-28
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-27 19:05
It will be because you switched off the video caching. That problem with black and green screen is because the iPad is not able to keep up with the video streaming from the aircraft. And that is because DJI have put so many processes into the Go4 App that the iPad is choking on them. Shutting off the video caching makes less work for the iPad processor and it is able to then keep up.

Thank you for explaining that.  Might I ask what video caching does?  
2018-7-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-7-28 08:17
Thank you for explaining that.  Might I ask what video caching does?

The aircraqft sends a lower resolution (usually 720p) copy of the video being recorded or viewed to the RC unit so you can see what you are shooting on your iPad. If you enable video caching in the camera settings, then the iPad also records the low resolution copy to its own storage space. This action makes for more work on behalf of the iPad, therefore can affect its ability to properly display the camera image.
2018-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules