Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Out of Box MavAir odd flight glitch
1118 12 2018-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jiffer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34449 ft
United States

So I just unboxed a new Mavic Air, Bought the DJI Care Plan on it. Took it out tonight for my first flight, upgraded everything to the latest firmware, made sure no metal around, also made sure to reset the IMU and Compass right out of the box.

In my first flight, I noticed one very odd thing in GPS mode as well as in sports mode, The Mav Air is doing like this "self-correcting glitch", is the only way I can explain it. You can be flying and the drone will like glitch itself out to be level with the ground.  So if you just hover in one spot it will like a glitch to the left or the right super fast like its trying to keep its position even though its already in position and not moving from its GPS point. It's also doing it when I fly??? which makes no sense.  Now the video looks fine because of the gimble counteracts whatever the drone is doing. but I will be flying perfectly Level straight line of site and the drone will like glitch left or right even without any wind present. Anyone got thoughts, I can try to record the drone doing this but the FPV does not really show it.
2018-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Jiffer, could you upload some sample video of the issue you referred? We'd like to check the exact status.
2018-7-24
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Do you mean the MA till to break when you release the control stick?
2018-7-24
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Sounds like you're suffering from the known 0400 FW issue of yaw glitch:

MA v01.00.0400 Issues (glitch in yaw and slowly turning in yaw)

This thread has a BUNCH of videos and flight logs proving the existence of the issue with the 0400 FW. Shame you updated yours after unboxing, should've kept it at 0300 version, was MUCH better.

I compiled a list of all the known issues / threads for 0400:

Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400

Might want to review the linked threads on the first post there.

Some pilots report that replacing the drone with a new one under warranty helped, as it seems some hardware versions of the Air don't have issues with 0400, but I strongly advise against that; you'll VERY likely get back a refurbished Air with an unknown number of flight time on it instead of brand new.

Your best bet might be to perform a full firmware reload via DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 via your Mac or PC, which is the best way to update the firmware anyways, and then do a factory refresh via Assistant 2, as some have also stated doing this resolves your problem.

And don't bother with the DJI admins here. They are WELL aware of the problems, and offer very little useful help.

Good luck!
2018-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think as dji Susan said, provide a video of this happening, it seems a bit strange that it has no effect on the video,
2018-7-25
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I would post a video as DJI Susan requested, what your seeing may or may not be normal adjustments in holding position if there was a breeze or even light wind (the errors in positioning are listed in the aircraft Spec's)..
Posting a flight record on http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ might also give some indication if any problems.

Without more information it's difficult to get some idea of what might or might not have been wrong, and for me to try and do so would be pure speculation or fabrication.

Edit:- If you chose to share your flight record, then copy and paste the results page here, and some of the more experienced pilots may be able to offer feedback.
2018-7-25
Use props
Jiffer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34449 ft
United States

So I would assume that the latest firmware would be the best out there, does DJI not offer a nightly build before they actually release new updates to the public? Typically when I write software I would allow those who are willing to opt in to use it, get crash reports back then fix issues nightly build it again then release publicly after it was all working. I suppose I could just whipe the drone and go back to an older more stable firmware. Which is the most stable release?
2018-7-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jiffer Posted at 2018-7-25 05:38
So I would assume that the latest firmware would be the best out there, does DJI not offer a nightly build before they actually release new updates to the public? Typically when I write software I would allow those who are willing to opt in to use it, get crash reports back then fix issues nightly build it again then release publicly after it was all working. I suppose I could just whipe the drone and go back to an older more stable firmware. Which is the most stable release?

No they don’t offer nightly build, however from time to time you may see beta coming up as an option, you also might see beta being offered from some moderators, but not so far for upcoming FW.

There have been some problems, and certain procedures have helped overcome these for some. Other problems may be related to app updates although this seems to be affecting Android users in the main.

If you can upload log and short video, it might help see what your problem is and if something can be done.
As to FW updates, nobody knows, but FW updates can be as short as a month and as long as 6 months, and you won’t hear about it until it arrives.
2018-7-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Jiffer Posted at 2018-7-25 05:38

So I would assume that the latest firmware would be the best out there...

Wrong assumption.  

And to be fair, that is wrong assumption with other companies' firmware / software.   A certain very large maker of a very popular OS is known for an OS being a major step backwards.

2018-7-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Before going down road of broke drone or probalematic firmware...  It would be worth runing through drone's calibrations one more time.  

Especially making sure Compass calibration is done outside in an open grassy area with nothing nearby (at least 10-meters away from anything), and nothing possibly buried under area like underground powerlines or large steel pipe.  You don't want high voltage powerlines nearby or towers with transmitters during calibration.  Make sure you have nothing on you that is magnetic.  Turn off your Smartdevices BlueTooth and Cellular transceiver.  Try to keep SmartDevice away from drone when calibrating compass.

2018-7-25
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post #4 in this thread hits the nail on the head.  Sending logs, videos, etc. is fruitless.  It's unfortunate, but if trying all the re-cailibrations/refreshes doesn't help, you have to decide to either send it back under warranty and hope you get one back that isn't affected by .0400 ( I was lucky), or wait for an update that may or may not fix your issues.  However, we've already waited nearly 3 months and I'm no longer holding my breath.  I have a strong suspicion these issues have something to do with why DJI postponed their "event" last week.
2018-7-25
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308327 ft

Fly the drone in a different area. Mine did the same but it was magnetic interference that caused it. Volcanic rocks  made mine do what you describe
2018-7-25
Use props
fans18d204c5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2949393 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic mini is doing the sam thing. I just got it a couple of weeks ago.
2019-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules