LG G6 (Oreo) OTG to RC doesn't work
7206 22 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vitoski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23576 ft

Hello!
I recently got my DJI Spark (Fly More Combo) and been trying to connect my phone (LG G6) to RC via OTG cable. However, it doesn't seem to work as it keeps connecting for a couple of seconds and then disconnecting. During the time it shows RC Connected, I see 'Enter device' button in DJI GO4 app instead of GO Fly. All devices (Spark, RC, Phone) are connected and RC shows green led, meaning it has the connection to the Spark itself.
I tried two OTG cables and I got exactly the same results on both.

I've been reading DJI, Reddit, XDA forums for any help with regards to connecting LG G6 (running Oreo) to RC via OTG cable, but none of them seem to work.
That said, has any of you guys and gals have LG G6 running flawlessly with RC via OTG?

My setup:
DJI Spark firmware: V 01.00.1000RC firmware: V 01.00.600
DJI GO 4 app: 4.2.21 (the latest available in Google Play)
LG G6 firmware: Android 8.0.0 (the latest available official ROM from LG)
OTG cable: https://2.allegroimg.com/origina ... 15c9dc5b062c0937792

Thanks for your help!

2018-7-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

search settings for otg. it is pretty common under oreo there is an option which allows otg for 10 minutes. this is some kind of protection. it should be possible through the notifications. you just have to pin your otg thing there.
Screenshot_20180725-120921.jpg
2018-7-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Germany

plugin cable with rc already on after activating the option.
edit: typo fixed
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

spookster Posted at 2018-7-25 02:10
plugin cable with rc already on after actovating the option.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, there is nothing OTG related neither in notifications drop down nor Android settings.
Searched for OTG and USB keyword but got nothing. Tried to look for it before connecting OTG cable to RC and after - no change.
2018-7-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer

then maybe your device is not otg capable.
are you able to hookup a usb stick to the otg and find it?
unfortunately not all devices can do otg, most of the newer ones do but still there are some black sheep.
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

spookster Posted at 2018-7-25 02:32
then maybe your device is not otg capable.
are you able to hookup a usb stick to the otg and find it?
unfortunately not all devices can do otg, most of the newer ones do but still there are some black sheep.

I'll need to grab some OTG cable that will allow me connecting the drive. However, there are plenty of users out there with LG G6 who reported that OTG works fine with LG G6.
There are also videos on Youtube showing people successfully connect their devices like drives to LG G6 with OTG cable.
Even LG explains on their page how to the OTG works, which means it should be natively supported by G6.
2018-7-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer

yup, try to get a mouse or drive to work to see if it works properly.
if you are successful, have you tried using the rc with another phone via otg?
if that is the case then it is plainly incompatible (with your current android build).
another thing that comes to mind, have you turned on usb debugging in the android developer options?
2018-7-25
Use props
Deftig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105016 ft
Germany

LG G6 is fully OTG capable.
I flew the Spark with an G6 on Android 7.0 with no issues. When LG Updated to Android 8, i had the same issues like you. I informed LG about this. They said that they cant do anything. So i bought an used iphone 6s.
I found no way to bring the g6 back to work woth the spark using otg. Tried 6 different cables and connectors, hardresettet it...nothing worked
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

@spookster, yes I have tried USB Debugging mode on and off, but no difference. I'll try to grab micro USB cable to try OTG with another phone. If it works, then it's LG's fault.

@Deftig, thanks for your input. I've read on some other forums that people were able to fly Spark with LG G6 on Nougat (7.0), just like you. After Oreo update, it got broken, but I thought it might have something to do with DJI software/firmware limitation (prior to the latest update), which didn't have official OTG support. It looks like it's time to contact LG and ask them what they broke...
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

EDIT:
Just talked to LG Support person who took record of the OTG connectivity issue and passed to another department.
Truth to be told I doubt anything is going to happen in this subject unless many more people will start bothering LG about it. It seems like other users in XDA thread chose to downgrade to Android 7.0 in order to keep flying Spark with OTG cable. Shame on LG for breaking something that worked fine.   

Has anyone found another workaround for this?
Thanks!
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Upon checking here, the mobile device you're using is not compatible with Spark. We highly suggest checking this list for mobile devices you can use for Spark: https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2
Poland

I know that my device is not on the list. However, I'm not going to spend extra $ for Apple device, to fly my drone.
It's frustrating that you pay for drone just to learn that if you want to fly with OTG (preferred way in Europe) you need to spend extra money.
2018-7-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Germany

you could flash lineageos 14.1 on your device but since you are already on oreo, rolling back to nougat custom rom just for otg seems like a bad solution. hopefully lg will restore the otg functoinality of your device with next android build.
2018-7-25
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2
Poland

One of the users in XDA shared a solution for Mavic Pro and LG G6.
He downgraded firmware of RC and  AC to V01.04.0300 (february one) for both devices.
According to his feedback this combination (LG G6 with Oreo and that old firmware) works fine.
While it's not very helpful for Spark users, it may be beneficial for Mavic Pro users.
Moreover it also suggest that it doesn't have to be isolated problem for LG device/ROM, but rather combination of both.

And this is the place where DJI's help would be much appreciated. Specifically having engineering team looking into the problem, especially since so many people have reported the issue already.
2018-7-25
Use props
Jupami
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88140 ft
Spain

Good mornig from Spain

Same problem, LG G6 oreo + Spark = Bad idea

downgrade to Android 7.0 work fine

2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Vitoski Posted at 2018-7-25 10:55
One of the users in XDA shared a solution for Mavic Pro and LG G6.
He downgraded firmware of RC and  AC to V01.04.0300 (february one) for both devices.
According to his feedback this combination (LG G6 with Oreo and that old firmware) works fine.

Hi, unfortunately, since we haven't tested the mobile device in our facility we cannot ensure the stability of the app, especially when there will an update for an operating system or with our DJI GO 4 app since we're not yet aware of the capability of the phone and the behaviour of it when using our DJI Go 4 app. Thanks for understanding.
2018-7-26
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

DJI Tony, I completely understand the fact that DJI (and practically every single company out there) is not able to cover all combinations of phone (spec & ROM) and DJI app. I'm pretty sure every single member of this forum understands this. However what we do not understand is the fact that many people report this specific issue (inability to connect RC to LG G6 running Oreo via OTG) here on the company's forum and it's being ignored.
I get it that if one or two people complain on very specific corner case, then it's hard to investigate the issue and provide some reasonable explanation. However, if particular problem is reported by many users here and other major electronic forums (XDA, Reddit) then it is no longer a corner case but general issue. Moreover it's not SPARK specific, as the same problems are reported with Mavic, which makes this issue even bigger.

Side Note - this morning I tried my OLD phone (Motorola Moto X 2013 - running stock Lollipop 5.1) and it worked PERFECTLY fine. No disconnects, rock stable connection. But the phone has way smaller screen and it's rather a backup device than the one I want to use with my Spark.
2018-7-26
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2

UPDATE:

One of the members of this forum called Plujesz (kudos man) here on the forum found a simple and easy workaround to make LG G6 running OREO work with RC via OTG cable. In fact, the solution/workaround works for DJI Spark (tested by myself) and DJI Mavic Pro (found by Plujesz).  I tested this method on the latest firmware for DJI Spark and DJI GO4 app (see the first post for more details).
Have a look at this post for detailed instruction on how to make it work.

Hey DJI team, since the solution/workaround has been already found, CAN YOU make something about it in the next firmware or DJI GO4 app release?
2018-7-31
Use props
Jupami
lvl.2
Spain

Vitoski Posted at 2018-7-31 00:39
UPDATE:

One of the members of this forum called Plujesz (kudos man) here on the forum found a simple and easy workaround to make LG G6 running OREO work with RC via OTG cable. In fact, the solution/workaround works for DJI Spark (tested by myself) and DJI Mavic Pro (found by Plujesz).  I tested this method on the latest firmware for DJI Spark and DJI GO4 app (see the first post for more details).

Hello.

I cant see the post...please confirm....:-)

Thks
2018-7-31
Use props
Vitoski
lvl.2
Poland

Jupami Posted at 2018-7-31 07:02
Hello.

I cant see the post...please confirm....:-)

Have a look here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=150515&pid=1491280&extra=&mobile=2&page=4
2018-7-31
Use props
Jupami
lvl.2
Spain

Vitoski Posted at 2018-7-31 07:07
Have a look here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=150515&pid=1491280&extra=&mobile=2&page=4

Muchas gracias ;-)
2018-7-31
Use props
Javierin
lvl.1
Spain

dji, please push this fix
2018-9-6
Use props
rollyca
lvl.1

Mexico

With my spark and the latest version of firmwares and app today 2019/03/08.
I went using the debug mode until I got a stable connection (it stops vibrating and it appears that a device has just been connected).
After opening the application without marking that always opens when you connect that device, if you mark it there is a problem and you have to delete the applications that are opened by default.
And finally you have to close and reopen the application.
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules