Downloaded maps don't display
1161 8 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larryc43230
Second Officer
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

Mavic Air, DJI GO 4 (latest version), all firmware up to date as of this writing, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet with WiFi only (no cellular).

While connected to my home WiFi network, I downloaded a total of eight maps for offline use. I made it a point to download a map that includes an area just a few miles away from my home where I planned to take the drone and test the offline maps feature.

I took the drone to that location (a local park) today. There was no WiFi available at that location. I fired up the remote controller, the drone, and the DJI GO 4 app and launched the drone. The drone had a solid GPS signal, with at least 12 satellites, at all times. The app displayed the usual view from the drone's camera, with nothing but a black box in the lower-right corner. The black box displayed the word "MapBox" in its lower-right corner, but was otherwise just black. I maximized the black box in the corner with a finger press, but nothing changed. All I saw was a black box with the word "MapBox" in the corner filling the screen. The camera view was now in the lower-right corner, as expected. Just for fun, I switched from Standard view to Hybrid view to Satellite view to see what would happen; nothing changed, just a big black emptiness staring at me.

I'm 100% certain that one of the offline maps includes the area I was in, in fact, the park is near the center of that map area.

Why didn't the offline map display when I tried to view it in the field, away from WiFi? Is there some other setting I've missed that I need to change? Is there something else I need to do (like somehow select one specific map from the list) to make this work?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Larry

2018-7-25
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

I'm not sure what went wrong with my previous attempt to use offline maps, but today's attempt was much more successful.

While at home and logged into my home WiFi network, I deleted all the offline maps I'd previously downloaded. My thinking was that perhaps one or more of those maps had somehow been corrupted or incompletely downloaded. All the maps looked OK when viewed in the DJI GO 4 app, but they could still have somehow been corrupt. I had also reached some space limit when I downloaded maps the first time: When I tried to download an additional map, I got an error message telling me I would have to delete an existing map segment to free up space. This time, I downloaded only two map segments, one for the area near my home and the other centered on the area I had chosen for my next test flight.

I drove to an area several miles from home (Hoover Reservoir in Westerville, Ohio). I was far away from any WiFi source. I flew the drone for almost an hour, and this time the offline map I had downloaded displayed as advertised throughout all the flights. It was a real pleasure to see the map display, and I felt a whole lot safer venturing farther out with the drone.

Conclusions: Either the maps I had previously downloaded had somehow been corrupt and wouldn't display, or my downloading so many map segments that I bumped up against some upper limit caused the app to hiccup and not display any maps.

Larry
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-26 09:49
I'm not sure what went wrong with my previous attempt to use offline maps, but today's attempt was much more successful.

While at home and logged into my home WiFi network, I deleted all the offline maps I'd previously downloaded. My thinking was that perhaps one or more of those maps had somehow been corrupted or incompletely downloaded. All the maps looked OK when viewed in the DJI GO 4 app, but they could still have somehow been corrupt. I had also reached some space limit when I downloaded maps the first time: When I tried to download an additional map, I got an error message telling me I would have to delete an existing map segment to free up space. This time, I downloaded only two map segments, one for the area near my home and the other centered on the area I had chosen for my next test flight.

Hi, glad to know that you were able to solve the issue, you can consider as well to check our recommended devices with our Mavic Air for you to ensure the stability of the app.

2018-7-26
Use props
plainman007
lvl.2

India

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-26 14:12
Hi, glad to know that you were able to solve the issue, you can consider as well to check our recommended devices with our Mavic Air for you to ensure the stability of the app.

[view_image]

Hi Tony,

4 days ago i bought your RECOMMENDED device officially stated on your DJI website, yet maps dont work on that. The phone is Redmi Note 5. DJI has listed it as a fully compatible phone. It is listed on the DJI website and here is the link for your own reference....
https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs

So what do you say to that ? I should now buy another "recommended phone" ? The phone is anyway nonreturnable and i bought it just to fly with all features. Yet it seems even in the approved list "some features" will not work.
2018-9-17
Use props
foyle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106942 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem as Larry had originally. I have DJI Phantom 4 Pro Ver 2 with DJI Crystalsky 7.85 Ultra Bright monitor.
2018-10-29
Use props
foyle
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have the same problem as Larry had originally. I have DJI Phantom 4 Pro Ver 2 with DJI Crystalsky 7.85 Ultra Bright monitor. I have downloaded the offline maps when on wifi but in the field with no wifi all i get is a black Mapbox with no maps showing. Did factory reset to no avail. How do I get the offline maps to display?
2018-10-29
Use props
foyle
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have the same problem as Larry had originally. I have DJI Phantom 4 Pro Ver 2 with DJI Crystalsky 7.85 Ultra Bright monitor. I have downloaded the offline maps when on wifi but in the field with no wifi all i get is a black Mapbox with no maps showing. Did factory reset to no avail. How do I get the offline maps to display?
2018-10-29
Use props
Sato Zoom 2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3172890 ft
United States

foyle Posted at 2018-10-29 14:02
I have the same problem as Larry had originally. I have DJI Phantom 4 Pro Ver 2 with DJI Crystalsky 7.85 Ultra Bright monitor. I have downloaded the offline maps when on wifi but in the field with no wifi all i get is a black Mapbox with no maps showing. Did factory reset to no avail. How do I get the offline maps to display?

You might try making sure your map view is not set to satellite or hybrid mode.  That was my problem when I had that issue.  Setting the map to plain street view and restarting the app worked for me.........
2018-10-29
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

I was told on this forum (many months ago) that once the map of where you plan to fly is on the screen one should zoom in and around the location. Apparently this caches the map.
This works for me although I am not sure why it is necessary so I just stick with what works
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules