Considering buying Spark, is it worth it with current Canadian laws?
1255 15 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

I am seriously considering buying Spark but due to Canadian laws, it seems it is pretty useless now.

I wanted to use Spark as an improved selfie stick. To be able to get selfie shots and videos from a far and take better photos and videos. However with the current Canadian laws it is pretty much useless --- for example:
  • You can't use this drone on provincial parks. Meaning going to picnics with family and taking a family selfie shot and videos is a nono.
  • You can't use this drone on busy areas. Meaning if I go to the beach with my family, I cannot take a family selfie shot and videos unless I move this drone 30m away from everybody or go to the beach where it is just literally me and my family.

So in summary I cannot use this drone as a selfie or video drone, especially utilize its gesture controls for easy taking shot UNLESS we are on a secluded area that is NOT a provincial or national park. Then what can I use it for then? Can anyone advise?
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

I am seriously considering buying Spark but due to Canadian laws, it seems it is pretty useless now.

I wanted to use Spark as an improved selfie stick. To be able to get selfie shots and videos from a far and take better photos and videos. However with the current Canadian laws it is pretty much useless --- for example:
You can't use this drone on provincial parks. Meaning going to picnics with family and taking a family selfie shot and videos is a nono.
You can't use this drone on busy areas. Meaning if I go to the beach with my family, I cannot take a family selfie shot and videos unless I move this drone 30m away from everybody or go to the beach where it is just literally me and my family.
You can't use this drone on your neighborhood unless you move the drone 30m away from everybody.

All I wanted is to have this drone active track me just a few feet away and take videos and selfie shot of me and the surrounding. But because of Canadian laws this is not possible unless me and my family are in a secluded area. Meaning no gesture control and few feet away of autonomous selfie shot and video taking in public areas like parks, neighborhood, playgrounds, party in a friends house or anywhere where there are other people. Then doesn't that defeat the very purpose of this drone? Then what can I use it for then aside from lonely flying in a
2018-7-25
Use props
js349
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3671 ft
United States

If it's the size/weight that Canadian law prohibits, how about a DJI/Ryze Tello?
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

I am currently doing a research right now about that actually. But it seems DJI Sparks has the best video and photo capture in the market but because of its size then nothing else is on par.
But how about the others though who has DJI Spark? I am really interested. How are they filming and taking photos in public areas, doing gesture controls for quick shots or whether they are able to do so at all without worrying whether you'd get a citation or complaint or worst, your device confiscated.

Isn't that supposed to be the deal with Spark? To be able to take out in public do a quick selfie or video hovering just a few feet away and get awesome shots where ever you go? But with these laws all over the world and DJI Spark being above 250g --- then its all moot?
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, I hope someone here can provide the best recommendation when using a drone in Canada.
2018-7-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

If you want it for Pictures, buy a small Ryze Tello to start with, just to let you know that the Video is very Jittery as it depends on the Wifi Connection, as there is not SD Card Port on the Tello.
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

So I cannot use DJi Spark the way it is marketed to and targeted for?
2018-7-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

As long as you obey the Rules of your Country you can use it where ever it is allowed. Here in Europe we have very strict laws too. As long as you keep distance from Airports, Parks, Crowds and Military Gov Facilities you are good to go. Also highways streets and city centers are banned here in most Europe. You need special permission to fly in special areas. For a Pocket drone I would go with a Tello, have one myself and it take good pics as I have said already.
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks. Which means --- I can literally only fly it when there's absolutely nobody around at least 30m (according to Transport Canada) on all sides. I am not allowed to fly it on all provincial parks. I am not allowed to fly it in city parks. I am not allowed to fly it on neighborhood. Basically I  have to map a secluded area to be able to fly and take pictures. So basically I cannot use it the way its marketed as the ultimate selfie drone. So basically I cannot do selfie on awesome places except empty lonely places. Nice. So no DJI Spark then.
2018-7-25
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

mervs Posted at 2018-7-25 13:03
Thanks. Which means --- I can literally only fly it when there's absolutely nobody around at least 30m (according to Transport Canada) on all sides. I am not allowed to fly it on all provincial parks. I am not allowed to fly it in city parks. I am not allowed to fly it on neighborhood. Basically I  have to map a secluded area to be able to fly and take pictures. So basically I cannot use it the way its marketed as the ultimate selfie drone. So basically I cannot do selfie on awesome places except empty lonely places. Nice. So no DJI Spark then.

If you plan on buying it without controller, and you really. Really only want to use it for selfie, then it is ok, but if you want to fly further away you need a remote...
The ryze tello is smaller and a very cabable selfie device...
Consider the parrot bebop2. They are chaep now, and got full speed and range with phone only for control, and it flies 25 mins
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

Is this confirmed? My concerns are people complaining or police officers walking up to me and get fined just for taking a selfie. And as you know with DJI Spark - you cannot take a selfie up close. You need to send it away and then do the selfie gesture. And with the active track, taking video while on the move --- do I need to follow the rules that I have to be 30m away from the public (basically everybody else - that means I cannot do a jogging video)? It will just follow me like a few feet away --- would I get fined if I get caught by a parks officer etc?
2018-7-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Unfortunately all famous sites are banned, unless you have special permission. If you go to place like Rome and try to fly the Drone near the Colusseum you will end up in the Police Headquarters. Unfortunately those are the rules. Here in Europe most countries only allow flying with Insurance imagine they do that in Canada and Us, how more discouraging it is. This applies to all drones not DJI only. Use DJI Geo Maps to have an idea where you can fly.
2018-7-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Remote Contoller or Not it wont make a difference to the Authorities the Drone in the Air is the Problem. I dont agree with that User, if you fly a Drone even without RC or Phone just with Gesture Mode you still will get a Good Slapping.
2018-7-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Just 1 thing to remember is the Law says it has to be 30m away, here you can use that 30m as Height it's not specific to Horizontal distance. Still if cities are banned though, you cannot fly it inside city centres.
2018-7-25
Use props
mervs
lvl.1

Canada

Thank you very much. Your feedback are very much appreciated. I  hope this helps anybody else who has this in mind. Thanks again!
2018-7-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

mervs Posted at 2018-7-25 13:25
Is this confirmed? My concerns are people complaining or police officers walking up to me and get fined just for taking a selfie. And as you know with DJI Spark - you cannot take a selfie up close. You need to send it away and then do the selfie gesture. And with the active track, taking video while on the move --- do I need to follow the rules that I have to be 30m away from the public (basically everybody else - that means I cannot do a jogging video)? It will just follow me like a few feet away --- would I get fined if I get caught by a parks officer etc?

If you still want more feedback from a fellow Canadian...

I started flying my Spark this spring at a couple of parks nearby before I knew I wasn't supposed to (that's another story). I made sure to go when few people would be there and kept away from them, but several times, they came to me out of curiosity, and I was happy to answer their questions. I didn't have a single negative encounter, and no one called the cops on me. If I still flew there, against the law, I really doubt that anyone would, but the thing is, you never know. If the risk is a hefty fine and loss of my drone, it isn't worth it in the least for me to try.

My purpose for having a drone is entirely different from yours, and I can live with the regulations. I prefer to get out of the city anyway (where I still have to get permission from landowners). For your purposes, you'll just have to do without a Spark and settle for a Tello, or risk the hefty penalties. You shouldn't be too disappointed with a Tello. From what I've seen, its video and photo quality is superb. I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself just for fun.

That goes double if you're new to flying drones, because you are going to crash it at some point. It's easier to lose a hundred bucks through inexperience than 500.

So, in conclusion...Have fun with your Tello.
2018-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules