Osmo Mobile Video Slow Motion Problem
4936 21 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

I bought DJI OSMO mobile some months ago and haven't been able to shoot a proper slow motion video since then. Every single video that I shoot, at some point, ends up with some kind of jumping focus (at least it's what it looks like to me) that completely ruins the smoothness of the video. It happens several times during a single 60 seconds video.
I have shot dozens of videos and I can't use a long shot without having to edit the video in Premiere to get rid of this kinf of jitter.

I'm using an iPhone 6s with the DJI Go software.

Could anyone please help me?

Thanks
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you send a sample video showing the issue?
2018-7-26
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

I tried to upload the original video here (27mb) but it took forever showing only the blue bar saying "uploading and loading picture...(0/1)".

So I uploaded the original video on Wetransfer so you can download it wherever you are:

https://we.tl/5uMsFBbvru

Thanks again

2018-7-26
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51575 ft

Same issues here - iPhone X. It's even worse in filmic pro, filming high frame rate and rendering as slow mo - image jumps around everywhere.
2018-7-26
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2

Same issues here - iPhone X. It's even worse in filmic pro, filming high frame rate and rendering as slow mo - image jumps around everywhere.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Antpal Posted at 2018-7-26 09:42

Hi, would it be possible if we can provide a short video of the issue? you can use google drive or drop-box then provide the link here.
2018-7-26
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

Well, I provided my video 3 days ago. Did any of the administrators care to see it? Still waiting for a feedback...
2018-7-28
Use props
Antpal
lvl.2

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-26 09:50
Hi, would it be possible if we can provide a short video of the issue? you can use google drive or drop-box then provide the link here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wept8 ... SsiwWxipTWgTda?dl=0

2018-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-7-26 06:19
I tried to upload the original video here (27mb) but it took forever showing only the blue bar saying "uploading and loading picture...(0/1)".

So I uploaded the original video on Wetransfer so you can download it wherever you are:

Hi, my deepest apology for the late response, unfortunately, I'm having a problem downloading the link, would it be possible if you can try to re-upload the video using google drive or drop-box then provide the link here?
2018-7-30
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8sju1 ... vQyfPg77FoIXna?dl=0

The main problem begins at about 10 seconds of video played

2018-7-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-7-30 12:38
Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8sju1 ... vQyfPg77FoIXna?dl=0

Hello there. Sorry for the late response. Did you try to reinstall the app? Or try to use a different mobile device?
2018-8-1
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

Yes, I tried to reinstall the app and I tried to use it with Filmic Pro as well which, by the way, seens to make the "focus" problem even worst, with some weird "jumps". And no, I don't have a second mobile unit to try it with. But, what makes me think it has nothing to do with my iPhone 6s is that when I use the native slow motion from the iPhone (without DJI Osmo Mobile attached) the footage is flawless. No jitter, no focus problem. If I had to do a shooting today to use in a final movie I would trust much more to shoot a slow-motion with my bare hands than DJI Osmo Mobile device.

Any thoughts about what could be happening?
2018-8-1
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

I’m still patiently waiting for answers that never come... Do DJI thinks that if it keeps silence for long enough consumers will give up? I wonder…
2018-8-3
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-1 02:49
Hello there. Sorry for the late response. Did you try to reinstall the app? Or try to use a different mobile device?

Wanda, as you can see above, I answered your question 5 days ago. Could you please reply with your thoughts?
2018-8-6
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-30 10:38
Hi, my deepest apology for the late response, unfortunately, I'm having a problem downloading the link, would it be possible if you can try to re-upload the video using google drive or drop-box then provide the link here?

Tony, as you can see above, I sent you the link more than a week ago. Did you see it? Any thoughts?
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-8-6 04:21
Wanda, as you can see above, I answered your question 5 days ago. Could you please reply with your thoughts?

Hi. We're very sorry for the late response. Did you try to calibrate the gimbal?
2018-8-6
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-6 04:35
Hi. We're very sorry for the late response. Did you try to calibrate the gimbal?

Hi Wanda, thanks for your reply. Do you mean the Settings > Gimball > Auto Calibration?
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-8-6 06:38
Hi Wanda, thanks for your reply. Do you mean the Settings > Gimball > Auto Calibration?

Yes, it is.
2018-8-6
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

Hi Wanda, I've just calibrated it again and recorded a new slomo video as a test. The problem still the same.  When playing back, sometimes it looks like that's some kind of jitter and other times it looks like it's "jumping" some frames. Anyway, the result is as always: impossible to record a smooth slomo that lasts more than 2 seconds without having to cut the video before one of those errors ruins the footage.
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-8-6 10:41
Hi Wanda, I've just calibrated it again and recorded a new slomo video as a test. The problem still the same.  When playing back, sometimes it looks like that's some kind of jitter and other times it looks like it's "jumping" some frames. Anyway, the result is as always: impossible to record a smooth slomo that lasts more than 2 seconds without having to cut the video before one of those errors ruins the footage.

If that's the case, we highly suggest to send it to our repair facility to have it check. You may contact our support to start up a case.
2018-8-6
Use props
Gary Paul
lvl.1

Marlos2 Posted at 2018-8-6 10:41
Hi Wanda, I've just calibrated it again and recorded a new slomo video as a test. The problem still the same.  When playing back, sometimes it looks like that's some kind of jitter and other times it looks like it's "jumping" some frames. Anyway, the result is as always: impossible to record a smooth slomo that lasts more than 2 seconds without having to cut the video before one of those errors ruins the footage.

Hi Marlos2.

Frustrating, isn't it? Are you using the Slow Mo option in the DJI GO app itself?

I have had very similar effects - that jittery look is annoying as hell isn't it? The problem seems to be that the stabilisation from the Osmo "fights" against the built in stabilisation on the iPhone.

One way I have managed to make the footage slightly better is to record at 60 fps using one of three options:
1. The native iPhone camera app (apologies, I'm on an 8+ so not sure if the 6s has 60 fps?)
2. Filmic Pro.
3. Moment.

Both of the apps 2 and 3 have manual settings where you can set the frame rate to 60 fps. I've then found that by slowing the footage down afterwards has a better result than the immediate conversion. By immediate conversion I mean this is what the DJI Go app is doing - filming at 60 fps but slowing it down before saving the file - and it does not appear to be any good at it!

My suggestion is not a perfect fix, as again the issue seems to be the two bits of hardware fighting, but you may find it works at an acceptable level for you.

Hope this helps!
2018-8-12
Use props
Marlos2
lvl.2
Brazil

Gary Paul Posted at 2018-8-12 07:57
Hi Marlos2.

Frustrating, isn't it? Are you using the Slow Mo option in the DJI GO app itself?

Hi Gary, is thata really what DJI app does? I didn't know that. But why the app doesn't use the native 240fps from the iphone to shoot? Can't understand this... Anyway, thanks for your reply.
2018-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules