Mavic Sudden Crash After Take-off
715 11 2018-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matto29
lvl.1
Canada

Hello all,

I've been a big DJI fan since the first Phantom, and for that matter I think I still am but I must say my experience last weekend left me with mixed feelings.

After a great flight filming some stand up paddle boarding through a remote part of Northern Ontario, Canada I sent my Mavic up for a second go on a fresh battery when about 10 seconds into the flight it just plummeted straight into the water. Not a power loss and down, but more like an intentional straight down powered descent into the water. It's like it committed suicide. I reviewed the flight record and I never pushed down on the stick. It was unrecoverable as was 2 days of footage on the SD.  I emailed DJI but no reply. Very depressing/disappointing.

I see there are others with similar tales on here, is there a consensus reason as to what most frequently causes this?

Not really interested in dishing out another $1000+ if I can't understand why it happened and how I can prevent it in the future.

2018-7-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Can you post the flight logs here so others can see what caused the issue and give feedback, follow the instructions on the lonk below and once uploaded post the link back
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Firstly, we are sorry to read this. May I know what is the case or ticket number so that I can check this on our end? Thank you for your support.
2018-7-26
Use props
matto29
lvl.1
Canada

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/L0SQHT0CGBMGGIL3189U/

Not sure if I did that correctly, hopefully the link above contains the data.  Thanks for your help!

@Paladin
Hello, I don't have a case or ticket number. I wrote an E-mail to DJI support via the website but never got a reply.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

matto29 Posted at 2018-7-26 03:56
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/L0SQHT0CGBMGGIL3189U/

Not sure if I did that correctly, hopefully the link above contains the data.  Thanks for your help!

Hi. I do apologize for the inconvenience and the trouble that this caused you. I highly recommend you to contact our Support team by dialing +1 (818) 235 0789 for further assistance. Thank you.
2018-7-26
Use props
matto29
lvl.1
Canada

Someone from DJI responded to my earlier email. Apparently I’m out of luck as it’s been longer than a year.  Buyer beware I guess
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

matto29 Posted at 2018-7-26 12:37
Someone from DJI responded to my earlier email. Apparently I’m out of luck as it’s been longer than a year.  Buyer beware I guess

Hi, sorry about that, however, you can expect charges for this scenario as you've mentioned that the unit itself is out of warranty.
2018-7-26
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

Sorry about your drone.

You seem to hold the mavic pro speed record at 148mph
2018-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

matto29 Posted at 2018-7-26 12:37

Sorry to hear that, just lookin at your log it does show a very high speed recording, but everything else in you log matches up with to stick movements, you were flying pretty low to the water when your log ends, so difficult to know what happened without log from blackbox, suppose getting a diver is out of the question.
2018-7-26
Use props
matto29
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-26 13:59
Sorry to hear that, just lookin at your log it does show a very high speed recording, but everything else in you log matches up with to stick movements, you were flying pretty low to the water when your log ends, so difficult to know what happened without log from blackbox, suppose getting a diver is out of the question.

Yes, it was in a pretty remote area only accessible by a very long boat ride, recovery will not be possible.

When I reviewed the log at no point did it show the left stick being pressed downwards.  The aircraft just shot downwards at 148mph into the water. Glad I wasn't over any people or property.  

Caveat emptor.
2018-7-26
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

148 mph, It does not sound possible
2018-7-26
Use props
Yhodah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6637 ft
United States

I assure you it is possible. Just glad I was not under it.    It flipped upside down and flew inverted Into the ground. So quick it was impossible to believe.  Slowed clip
2019-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules