Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Burning hot tilt motor--after 3 minutes of use
10099 13 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lowell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 781 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ran the unit for 3 minutes and the tilt motor casing became so hot it melted part of my pant leg and burned my hand enough to create blisters.

I've never seen a unit like this get so hot, is this normal? After letting it cool (and turning it off) it's still incredibly hot after 15 minutes.

I'm running a gh4 with canon 16-35 lens. Everything was balanced correctly.

2015-5-23
Use props
lowell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I rebalanced everything, 100% solid, then turned it on again. Now the tilt motor has an incredibly high pitched whine, auto modes just make it worse. It sounds like pulsating screech and only stops when I tilt the device a bit. Heat becomes noticeable within seconds of turning it on.

Is this a bad device?

2015-5-23
Use props
AndersMontgomer
lvl.1

Norway

I would return it to the dealer and get a new one, it should not get so hot after 3 minutes, I had mine running for probably 20 minutes and the motors were still cold afterwards.
2015-5-23
Use props
DJI-Cathy
Second Officer

Hong Kong

lowell@strillog Posted at 2015-5-23 23:53
I rebalanced everything, 100% solid, then turned it on again. Now the tilt motor has an incredibly h ...

set the Stiffness lower to see, or if it is possible, show me a video of your issue, THX~
2015-5-25
Use props
cdnorris
New

United States

Did this issue get resolved? If so, how? My Ronin-M just did the same thing... Supposed to shoot in the morning. Bumming me out right now!
2015-6-26
Use props
lowell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

cdnorris@live.c Posted at 2015-6-27 15:47
Did this issue get resolved? If so, how? My Ronin-M just did the same thing... Supposed to shoot in  ...

It never got resolved.  Customer Service told me to send it in and wait 6 weeks for it to be repaired.  A brand new device should just be replaced, not repaired (especially when I had only tested it for a few minutes).

We're moving to another stabilizer/company.  DJI has been too difficult to work with.

2015-6-29
Use props
DJI-Cathy
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Dear Customer,

if your Ronin-M is so hot, make sure it is well balanced before it is powered on, and upgrade it to the latest firmware version as well, THX~

Best Regards!
DJI-Cathy
2015-6-29
Use props
cdnorris
New

United States

lowell@strillog Posted at 2015-6-30 00:10
It never got resolved.  Customer Service told me to send it in and wait 6 weeks for it to be repai ...

I agree, the 6 week repair time is way too long for anyone doing paid work. I'm about to mail my device in for repair and am already really uneasy about forking out almost $1500 for an item that has already failed and now I won't have for almost 2 months.
2015-6-30
Use props
cdnorris
New

United States

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2015-6-30 10:24
Dear Customer,

if your Ronin-M is so hot, make sure it is well balanced before it is powered on, an ...

Dear Cathy,
While I appreciate your advice, this issue is not one that is simply solved by educating the user. I'm well versed in gimbal use, and the heat and battery drain an unbalanced unit can produce. The heat generated by this motor should not happen in any circumstance with this type of product - well balanced or not. It is defective and DJI should cover the warranty repair as such. Like the original poster, the tilt motor on my unit was too hot to touch.
2015-6-30
Use props
lowell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

cdnorris@live.c Posted at 2015-7-1 02:47
Dear Cathy,
While I appreciate your advice, this issue is not one that is simply solved by educati ...

I completely agree.  My unit was perfectly balanced and the app was configured correctly (we've done this several times with various gimbals) but the issue still persisted.  Loud grinding noises and lots of heat...this is absolutely due to a faulty unit.

2015-7-7
Use props
DJI-Cathy
Second Officer

Hong Kong

cdnorris@live.c Posted at 2015-7-1 02:47
Dear Cathy,
While I appreciate your advice, this issue is not one that is simply solved by educati ...

Please upgrade your Ronin-M to the latest version
2015-7-8
Use props
DJI-Cathy
Second Officer

Hong Kong

lowell@strillog Posted at 2015-7-8 00:57
I completely agree.  My unit was perfectly balanced and the app was configured correctly (we've do ...

Here is a video from one of our dealers, you may follow to check your balance

Please upgrade your Ronin-M to the latest firmware version first,  if there is nosie during the "Auto Tune Stability", don't worry, it is normal, wait until the calibration finish
If you still have the issue, please kindly send your email to support@dji.com, thanks a lot!
2015-7-8
Use props
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2015-7-9 10:50
Please upgrade your Ronin-M to the latest version

Updating does successfully work. But Software and Information still says updates are available although i have just complete them. What is this? I used latest Software, restarted ronin-m etc. All as described

2015-7-18
Use props
DJI-Cathy
Second Officer

Hong Kong

VWPAlex Posted at 2015-7-19 06:26
Updating does successfully work. But Software and Information still says updates are available alt ...

Don't worry, if it is runing the latest firmware, which means you did the update successfully
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules