308781 308781 2018-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

rikk08 Posted at 2018-8-1 23:08
just a small tip - hit reply button to quote and reply to other people's messages ;)

Goin in September starting off in Fish River Canyon, Luderitz, Sesriem, moon landscape, skawakopmund (less than 24 hours though :/), walvis bay and the skeleton coast!

Aww man, it works, thanks.
24 hours,  man, you need to go for a good couple of days, there is soooo much to see and do. Moonlandscape is awesome to fly over, but lots of magnetic interference, so the no signal every now and again makes your heart stop more often than not. But worth it.

Swakopmund have some awesome dunes, that are not full of footprints and bike tracks, for photography. Just get someone to take you out there for a day.

Sesriem is super, beautiful, but no drones and although some people tried, if they catch you, they confiscate the drone. Deadvlei is awesome for photography. (hope you are fit though, 1.4 km walk over dunes to get there, so go early morning.)
I go on as if it is your first time there, maybe you know all this already.
I loved it there, the peace and quite.
2018-8-2
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Luderitz peninsula, go there and fly to your hearts content, vast open spaces, rocks and hills, and the bay with oyster farms, awesome. But be aware of the wind, it can pick up before you know it, and it is fierce.
2018-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-1 22:52
@Hallmark001, i have NO idea what u on about? Please explain. Who need to find their own spot? Who is copy, pasting? Huhhhh

Obviously my Italian cousin with Tourette’s is having great trouble explaining himself.  ;+)....
As for me I think it’s a great shot..
2018-8-2
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thanks, yes, i have no idea what that is about, but i do smile silently inside.
Thanks for the compliment, appreciate.
2018-8-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-2 00:10
Aww man, it works, thanks.
24 hours,  man, you need to go for a good couple of days, there is soooo much to see and do. Moonlandscape is awesome to fly over, but lots of magnetic interference, so the no signal every now and again makes your heart stop more often than not. But worth it.

welcome ;) now people will get notified once you reply to them too, pretty useful!

I know but I cannot afford to spend more at least I can say that I've been there but not enough time to do any of the walks :/ Where's the magnetic interference in moon landscape coming from anyway? Any ideas? In that case just set a high RTH point and you should be fine as the drone will start to make it's way back on its own.

Will be hiring a 4x4 but I'm scared of driving on the dunes, maybe with a guide or tour or something..

Super excited for Sesriem and all the dunes..not really fit for the dunes but I will still try to climb as we've got 3 days there. Did you try flying the drone around the dunes or canyon maybe when no one was around?
2018-8-2
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

rikk08 Posted at 2018-8-2 03:46
welcome ;) now people will get notified once you reply to them too, pretty useful!

I know but I cannot afford to spend more at least I can say that I've been there but not enough time to do any of the walks :/ Where's the magnetic interference in moon landscape coming from anyway? Any ideas? In that case just set a high RTH point and you should be fine as the drone will start to make it's way back on its own.

Hi
Magnetic interference from the iron in the rocks around there. U will see what i mean. Yes, the RTH helped me out more than once. If you go into the dunes, remember to always deflate your tyres to nearly flat. Also, let someone know where you plan to go. People have been super nice, and helped me out when stuck once or twice.
I did not take my drone into Sesriem, but i wish i had. We were all alone for many a hours there. So take it.
I will pm you a guys number that we used at Swakop, it is for tourist, but if you are willing to pay a bit extra, they will take only you and your group, and the guy don,t mind drones. Let me get home, will do it this afternoon.
Where will you be staying in Sesriem?
2018-8-2
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-2 03:58
Hi
Magnetic interference from the iron in the rocks around there. U will see what i mean. Yes, the RTH helped me out more than once. If you go into the dunes, remember to always deflate your tyres to nearly flat. Also, let someone know where you plan to go. People have been super nice, and helped me out when stuck once or twice.
I did not take my drone into Sesriem, but i wish i had. We were all alone for many a hours there. So take it.

Thank you would really appreciate it!!!

Will be staying at the Sesriem campsite ofc the only one that allows entrance for sunrise and sunset ;)
2018-8-2
Use props
RogueDNA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95184 ft

New Zealand

Wow that's a beautiful pic
2018-8-2
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

It amazes me to see artists be so critical of their own work.  This picture is amazing.  You should be proud.  no disclaimers!

this is very well done!
2018-8-2
Use props
donthaveanyidea
lvl.4

nice shot
2018-8-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thanks to all, for the nice compliments, appreciated.
2018-8-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

rikk08 Posted at 2018-8-2 05:23
Thank you would really appreciate it!!!

Will be staying at the Sesriem campsite ofc the only one that allows entrance for sunrise and sunset ;)

http://www.charlysdeserttours.co ... es.html#livingdunes
This is the guys we used. They were more than prepared to take us out for longer, and the tour guide (will try to remember his name) took us to a couple of places i asked for, off the tour track, and he was very patient and interested in the drone. We also asked for a earlier tour, as we were all friends, and all into photography.
Go to the Moon landscape by yourself, don,t use the tour, drive is nice, and tour not needed.
2018-8-3
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Beautiful capture congratulations   
2018-8-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thank u very much, appreciate.
2018-8-4
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-3 11:33
http://www.charlysdeserttours.com/english/tours/day-tours-activities.html#livingdunes
This is the guys we used. They were more than prepared to take us out for longer, and the tour guide (will try to remember his name) took us to a couple of places i asked for, off the tour track, and he was very patient and interested in the drone. We also asked for a earlier tour, as we were all friends, and all into photography.
Go to the Moon landscape by yourself, don,t use the tour, drive is nice, and tour not needed.

Which tour did you go on the first one? and where else did you ask the guy to take you? I'd be super interested in doing the similar too as I along with my friends are all into photography too. I'm a freelance videographer myself infact..we're thinking of doing a scenic flight around Sossusvlei too so I just emailed them to check their prices

Definitely doing moon landscape solo, we've got 2 days there roughly and I'm super excited for it..looks like Mars
2018-8-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

rikk08 Posted at 2018-8-4 03:01
Which tour did you go on the first one? and where else did you ask the guy to take you? I'd be super interested in doing the similar too as I along with my friends are all into photography too. I'm a freelance videographer myself infact..we're thinking of doing a scenic flight around Sossusvlei too so I just emailed them to check their prices

Definitely doing moon landscape solo, we've got 2 days there roughly and I'm super excited for it..looks like Mars

We booked the living desert tour, but only for our group of 8. So no one else along to make it difficult.

I asked the tour guide to take us to areas where the tour normally don,t go, in order to get some dunes and landscapes without footprints and tire tracks etc, which he did. We also asked to go earlier, as well as stay longer, and he was very cool with that. Took some awesome videos etc (but i am definitely not good with the video part, taking jittery scenes etc, still have to practice
Still to do any proper video editing, brand new to video, old hand at photography.

Be sure to ask the guys that u book the Sossus flight with, if they do fly at a higher altitude. We had several people complained that the balloon rides and helicopter flights were not allowed to fly over the dunes, and stayed very low, which is stupid.
The Moonlandscape is awesome. U have to be there to take in the vastness of the area. Textures, man, it is breathtaking. (go down the road and drink a cold one at the Desert camp restaurant, eat a Oryx steak)
(buy a entrance licence at the municipality in Swakopmund, for in case)
I guarantee you, you will be blown away with the quality of light in Namibia, no haze, clear crisp light right through the day. (except for sand storms, which is fun too.)
2018-8-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

And take lots and lots of water on the hike to Deadvlei.
2018-8-4
Use props
Buckeye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29931 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very well done.
2018-8-4
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot.  Love seeing different parts of the world.  
2018-8-4
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Beautiful capture. Never use saturation but use luminous instead. Bring down highlights and incress shadows and clarity. I use lightroom for my pro landscape ( on the ground) shots.
2018-8-4
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Germany

You did it great !
2018-8-5
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thank u all kindly.
2018-8-5
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-4 07:33
We booked the living desert tour, but only for our group of 8. So no one else along to make it difficult.

I asked the tour guide to take us to areas where the tour normally don,t go, in order to get some dunes and landscapes without footprints and tire tracks etc, which he did. We also asked to go earlier, as well as stay longer, and he was very cool with that. Took some awesome videos etc (but i am definitely not good with the video part, taking jittery scenes etc, still have to practice

thanks for all the tips man, this makes me way too excited for my trip and I really can't waittt
2018-8-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Pleasure, and enjoy.
2018-8-6
Use props
MavicRich
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579062 ft
United Kingdom

Awesome shot, really nice!
2018-8-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Exctremely exciting shot. I feel very romantic
2018-8-6
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

No complaints here, very nice photo
2018-8-6
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-4 07:33
We booked the living desert tour, but only for our group of 8. So no one else along to make it difficult.

Really looking forward to that cold one and that Orxy steak you mentioned ;)  was is expensive? and do you remember the exact name of the place? (wasn't able to find it on Google Maps)

I would like to ask you about the road and national park permits, did you buy them beforehand or on the day/way?

Cheers
2018-8-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

rikk08 Posted at 2018-8-6 12:14
Really looking forward to that cold one and that Orxy steak you mentioned ;)  was is expensive? and do you remember the exact name of the place? (wasn't able to find it on Google Maps)

I would like to ask you about the road and national park permits, did you buy them beforehand or on the day/way?

Nope, wild meat is very cheap. Fresh produce is a bit touch and go money wise. (Cucumber, Tomatoes, Fruits etc)
Oasis Rest camp Restaurant. You turn to your left a few kms after the main Moonlandscape lookout, don,t go all the way to the Welwitsicia, unless u really, really want to see it. Far, and not a lot to see on the way. Some nice rocks and mountain formations on the way to the Restcamp. You drive down in the Moonlandscape between the mountains.

The problem with Namibia is that most of the open areas and desert landscapes is national parks, so no fly zones in principal, but the good thing is, no one around for miles and miles at times.
We bought a general national park permit from the Municipal building in Swakop, to cover most of the Namib Naukluft area. No one there to check on it, and no one asked us for it in all the time we were there. We bought it anyway, to support the parks, etc. You will not find anyone to buy permits from in the areas you want to visit, no one around to check on tourist in 99% of the places.
(Do not try to fly near or in the Skeleton Coast area though, Kolmanskoppe etc, they will take your drone if they catch u.)

Buy homemade pies at Outjo bakery in Outjo, main road, dirt cheap, big and delicious.
And maybe keep the drone in the car if u see some tourist bus stopping. Some of the German tour guides get very angry if u fly around then. I had one or two telling me in no uncertain tones, to stop it, or they will ram it up my wahoooo.... I did fly when they left though.
2018-8-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Search Goanikontes Oasis Camp.
2018-8-6
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just for information. You definately need a permit , kost around 80 usd . If the authorities stop you , you can get a big fine or worst courtcase. This permit is quite easy to obtain via civil aviation authorities , took me 2 weeks . You have to give them some coordinates and screenshots of places you are intend to fly from google maps. But check their website , they explain everything.
If you go to etosha , they wil seal the drone. Happy travels
2018-8-6
Use props
smithethan801
lvl.2

United States

Very beautiful photo, nice to know that this kind of capture can be done very good.
2018-8-6
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thanks you very much.
2018-8-6
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-6 12:49
Nope, wild meat is very cheap. Fresh produce is a bit touch and go money wise. (Cucumber, Tomatoes, Fruits etc)
Oasis Rest camp Restaurant. You turn to your left a few kms after the main Moonlandscape lookout, don,t go all the way to the Welwitsicia, unless u really, really want to see it. Far, and not a lot to see on the way. Some nice rocks and mountain formations on the way to the Restcamp. You drive down in the Moonlandscape between the mountains.

Thank you so much for all that!!!!!! You have no idea how useful it was. So permits for places like Spitzkoppe,Skeleton Coast, Kolomanskop you just bough the permit on site/by the gate?
Thinking of getting the photographers permit for Kolomanskop. Wish I could fly the drone there but I won't risk it and I'll just fly around Shark Island instead. Also did you head down to fish river canyon? I'm hoping to get a shot there as the 4x4 trail looks pretty epic and the last viewpoint is amazing..I want to get some shots there!

That's the camp we'll be staying at can't wait to try all that meat
2018-8-7
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Spitzkoppe, no permit, we went in and took photos. Friend nearly stepped on a Puff adder, so be super carefull. It was fun though, we laughed as he nearly wet himself.....
Skeleton Coast, you are only allowed in with a tour guide as far as i know, even if you self drive, you must be accompanied by one of the tour guides. Will send you a guy we used, to take us to Elizabeth Bay.  Kolmanskop, yes, get the photography permit the day before. Be there very early to get some breathing space. Stick the permit on the windscreen and go in.The tours are only suppose to come around 10, but believe me, by 9 the place crawls with tourists, and that makes photography difficult.

Shark island, is nice, stayed there for 2 days. I would suggest you take a ride around the peninsula. Awesome small beaches, scenery, crashing waves. I even left Kolmanskop earlier to take that round route again. Awesome flying places, take the small sandy roads down to the sea, you won,t be sorry. (no toilets, take paper........ Get a map to show you the peninsula round route. Worth it. You need 20 batteries just to get everything in. Man, it,s awesome. Some days are very windy, Luderitz known for their storm strength wind, so don,t waste flying time if you have a quite day.
Did not do the Fish river canyon, but did spend a day at Augrabies waterfall, in full flood for the first time in many years, so it was worth it.
Last but not least, don,t know what you and your partner like, but we like the off the beaten tracks, bush, very few people, and even less shops  experience, so if i say awesome, it is because of the solitude.
2018-8-7
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

What is your tour plan, from where to where and how many days? Mostly camping?
2018-8-7
Use props
rikk08
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-7 02:04
Spitzkoppe, no permit, we went in and took photos. Friend nearly stepped on a Puff adder, so be super carefull. It was fun though, we laughed as he nearly wet himself.....
Skeleton Coast, you are only allowed in with a tour guide as far as i know, even if you self drive, you must be accompanied by one of the tour guides. Will send you a guy we used, to take us to Elizabeth Bay.  Kolmanskop, yes, get the photography permit the day before. Be there very early to get some breathing space. Stick the permit on the windscreen and go in.The tours are only suppose to come around 10, but believe me, by 9 the place crawls with tourists, and that makes photography difficult.

2 weeks mostly camping - off the beaten track, self drive and try to avoid as much tourists as possible. We won't be visitng Etosha or Erinidi as we don't have enough time. Kolomanskop for sunset not sunrise and again no time to visit Elisabeth bay due to the tight schedule.

How did the puff adder happen and what's the best way to stay away from snakes as much as possible? (my partner is terrified of them!)
2018-8-8
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Thanks for sharing !
2018-8-8
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Ah man, u must enjoy. We were climbing up to the arch of Spitzkoppe, and he nearly stepped on it. Was lying next to a big rock, baking in the sun.
You must know, i am not a young one anymore, so it took me a while to get my heart under control.
Thanks for taking a peek.
2018-8-8
Use props
fans92a809f2
New

Australia

2018-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules