Our Hobby May Soon Be Regulated Out of Existence
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

From what I could tell, this panel was the result of an alleged incident with a UAS and an airplane last week.

It seems that now they want to do away with Section 336 rules:

The end of recreational drone and RC model flying in the USA?
2018-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for sharing this very important video information. We need to be aware of this regulation. Please keep us posted for future updates.
2018-7-28
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-28 11:36
Hi. Thank you for sharing this very important video information. We need to be aware of this regulation. Please keep us posted for future updates.

Here's the House Subcomittee discussion. Bottom line, they want to shut down hobby drones to make way for Amazon delivery drones in our airspace.

2018-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-28 12:15
Here's the House Subcomittee discussion. Bottom line, they want to shut down hobby drones to make way for Amazon delivery drones in our airspace.

Search      9+      31:44 / 2:02:57 Counter UAS Issues: A Roundtable of the Aviation Subcommittee

Thank you for this additional video information.
2018-7-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This topic was already posted about 20 hours ago

https://forum.dji.com/thread-159100-1-1.html

2018-7-28
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-28 13:25
This topic was already posted about 20 hours ago

https://forum.dji.com/thread-159100-1-1.html

Didn't show up in the usual places I monitor here. Thanks.
2018-7-28
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might want to include the WHOLE story........Below is the AMA's post in the comments of the video.

modelaircraft
1 week ago
This round table was not intended to be focused on recreational flying; in fact, Committee documents for the round table event had no mention of 336. AMA was present in the room, but because the focus was intended for something other than Section 336, legislators did not call upon AMA to testify.  While we did not speak at this particular meeting, we still influenced the conversation behind the scenes.  Excerpts of this meeting may have seemed detrimental to model aviation, it is important to remember that many legislators are supportive of our members and the hobby. In fact, the Chairman of the Aviation Subcommittee, Rep. Bill Shuster, acknowledged in this meeting that modelers have been operating safely and Congress needs “to protect the people who haven’t done anything wrong.”   

The discussion shown at this committee meeting is not new, but a daily battle that the AMA has been waging behind closed doors for several years.

While counter UAS measures will affect airspace and aviation in general, it is important to recognize that an amendment to preserve the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336) has already been added to the House version of the FAA Reauthorization bill.  Round table discussions are an important part of the democratic process; however in the end, legislation is what truly matters. Because of this, and because the House FAA Reauthorization Bill already includes protections for Section 336, AMA has shifted its focus and are actively working with the Senate to provide long term protection to Section 336. In fact, while the House Aviation Subcommittee was assembled, members of the AMA team were meeting with the Department of Defense and key members of the Senate to preserve our hobby.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs Team

Randy
2018-7-30
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-7-30 12:11
You might want to include the WHOLE story........Below is the AMA's post in the comments of the video.

modelaircraft

Thank you for sharing that under-represented perspective. It seems that the video was a bit pedantic and intended to raise panic among UAS pilots, and certainly the hand picked excerpts from the discussion seemed to support the cause for panic.

I do hope that things are not as bad as that. Our government is always at work trying to either take away our freedoms, or find a way to tax us more heavily, so I tend not to trust these discussions and hearings, as ulterior motives are usually at play.
2018-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-31 05:59
Thank you for sharing that under-represented perspective. It seems that the video was a bit pedantic and intended to raise panic among UAS pilots, and certainly the hand picked excerpts from the discussion seemed to support the cause for panic.

I do hope that things are not as bad as that. Our government is always at work trying to either take away our freedoms, or find a way to tax us more heavily, so I tend not to trust these discussions and hearings, as ulterior motives are usually at play.

Our government is always at work trying to either take away our freedoms, or find a way to tax us more heavily, so I tend not to trust these discussions and hearings, as ulterior motives are usually at play.
Those sentiments sound like what you might have heard in East Germany in the 1970s.

What is it that makes so many US citizens so paranoid and afraid of their own government   (apart from the bozo that lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave)?
2018-7-31
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-31 13:55
Our government is always at work trying to either take away our freedoms, or find a way to tax us more heavily, so I tend not to trust these discussions and hearings, as ulterior motives are usually at play.
Those sentiments sound like what you might have heard in East Germany in the 1970s.

Ruby Ridge, Waco, Cliven Bundy, Ed & Elaine Brown, and many others. ;)
2018-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-31 14:13
Ruby Ridge, Waco, Cliven Bundy, Ed & Elaine Brown, and many others. ;)

Yes   and???
Accounts of a few heavily armed crazies or cranks that went looking for trouble and found it doesn't prove that your government is your enemy.
2018-7-31
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides, it seems we are now a country that feels the need for at least a 100 different laws, on the same subject, all slight variants on each other.   It's a feel good mentality and everyone has to have their safe space, at least until you do something they don't agree with.  

2018-7-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It’s sad and disheartening to see these articles and proposals...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-31
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

All of the victims didn't go looking for trouble. They were just living as free Americans should. It's the government that wants to know everyone's business and intervene about what you can and cannot do on your own land.

One of the 37 reasons I'm relocating to Japan is because I was falsely accused of committing a heinous crime and my legal defense cost me $27K. I was unable to sue for damages because government officials were doing their job and enjoy sovereign immunity.
2018-8-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-1 07:27
All of the victims didn't go looking for trouble. They were just living as free Americans should. It's the government that wants to know everyone's business and intervene about what you can and cannot do on your own land.

One of the 37 reasons I'm relocating to Japan is because I was falsely accused of committing a heinous crime and my legal defense cost me $27K. I was unable to sue for damages because government officials were doing their job and enjoy sovereign immunity.

They were just living as free Americans should. It's the government that wants to know everyone's business and intervene about what you can and cannot do on your own land.
Waco = living the way free Americans should ??

Paranoia + lots of guns + a dose of crazy is a very dangerous combination.
2018-8-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-1 13:04
They were just living as free Americans should. It's the government that wants to know everyone's business and intervene about what you can and cannot do on your own land.
Waco = living the way free Americans should ??

They weren't doing anything wrong. The government tried to impose 'their' living standards upon them, and the FBI was bucking for an increase in budget and needed an opportunity to demonstrate their "usefulness". Hence 83 men, women and children burned to death at the hands of Janet Reno.

My move to Japan can't happen soon enough. No drone registration in Japan. Hokkaido, here I come!
2018-8-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-1 19:38
They weren't doing anything wrong. The government tried to impose 'their' living standards upon them, and the FBI was bucking for an increase in budget and needed an opportunity to demonstrate their "usefulness". Hence 83 men, women and children burned to death at the hands of Janet Reno.

My move to Japan can't happen soon enough. No drone registration in Japan. Hokkaido, here I come!

They weren't doing anything wrong.
That's right, and Timothy McVeigh was a civil rights worker.
2018-8-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-1 20:07
They weren't doing anything wrong.
That's right, and Timothy McVeigh was a civil rights worker.

Oh give me a break. No one mentioned him (and supposedly he did what he did as revenge for Ruby Ridge).
2018-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-2 08:51
Oh give me a break. No one mentioned him (and supposedly he did what he did as revenge for Ruby Ridge).

I mentioned him ... just another crazy like the ones you mentioned.
2018-8-2
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-2 12:39
I mentioned him ... just another crazy like the ones you mentioned.

So you feel that the government can do no wrong?
http://blog.independent.org/2012/08/22/lessons-from-ruby-ridge/

2018-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-2 12:57
So you feel that the government can do no wrong?
http://blog.independent.org/2012/08/22/lessons-from-ruby-ridge/

There's no question that YOUR government does plenty that wrong.
But the folks you've chosen as examples were cranks or crazies that went looking for trouble and found it.
If you go poking a tiger, you are responsible for what happens.
2018-8-2
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-2 13:11
There's no question that YOUR government does plenty that wrong.
But the folks you've chosen as examples were cranks or crazies that went looking for trouble and found it.
If you go poking a tiger, you are responsible for what happens.

Not at all. Just folks that want to be left alone. Wake up and see the reality. It's rotten to the core in Washington. Things aren't going to get any better. They're going to clamp down on every activity that they can regulate and tax out of existence.
2018-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-2 14:14
Not at all. Just folks that want to be left alone. Wake up and see the reality. It's rotten to the core in Washington. Things aren't going to get any better. They're going to clamp down on every activity that they can regulate and tax out of existence.

I not going to continue this pointless discussion.
What you believe is not going to change.
Enjoy Japan .. you might notice a few differences.
Less than 1 gun per 100 population and near zero gun deaths is a notable one.
2018-8-2
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-2 14:39
I not going to continue this pointless discussion.
What you believe is not going to change.
Enjoy Japan .. you might notice a few differences.

It's not the lack of guns, it's the culture. Pre-LBJ, we used to bring our varmint rifles to school and had marksmanship classes at school. USA changed after LBJ's "Great Society". 1965 Blackout, nothing happened. 1977, looting and riots. What changed?
2018-8-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-3 06:34
It's not the lack of guns, it's the culture. Pre-LBJ, we used to bring our varmint rifles to school and had marksmanship classes at school. USA changed after LBJ's "Great Society". 1965 Blackout, nothing happened. 1977, looting and riots. What changed?

The civil rights of african-americans?

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/voting-rights-act
2018-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules