Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
p3 pro blur and frame jitter when rotating drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
me.kevinnicolso
First Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

i have  just got a p3 pro, i am getting  blur and  slight frame jitter when you rotate the drone ?  i do not get it when steady, going forward or even moving gimble up and down, only seems to do it when the drone rotates ?

is this normal for drone cams, very smooth every other way just when going 360 and worse obviously if you go faster

why if this is normal does it only do it when you go 360 ?

thanks guys

kevin.

2015-5-23
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Could you post a short video file demonstrating this effect?
2015-5-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of reasons why this may happen - you can try fiddling with frame rates (shoot at 60fps) or install an ND filer and/or manually address the shutter speed. One big possibility is that the light drastically changes if you are doing a 360 and that screws up the camera exposure and settings.
2015-5-23
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
First Officer
United Kingdom

here is a link to a video, if you want a few seconds i speed up, this is at 25fs 4k, it is better in 60fs hd but you can still see that it is fine going forward just wheni rotate it kind of blurs video, is this normal ?

2015-5-24
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Yes, that is normal.

I'm not sure - did you change the speed of the clip? Or is it the speed of the original clip?

As such, I don't see anything wrong with the image, also I don't see any "jello" which is what we suspected you were talking about.

I personally shoot in 30 fps (max for the 4K) to get it as smooth as possible. Some choose 25 to conform with TV or 24 to conform with movies/cinema/film. If you want to do that sort of fast movement, you could consider doing 1080P60 fps in which case it would be much more smooth. But 30 pretty much is the standard - and if you remember to use smooth movements you will get smooth video, also at 30 fps (or 25 or 24 for that matter - but why not go for 30 when it is for Internet and home-use?). Set your Phantom to "NTSC" and then you can choose the 30 etc. framerates.

Because you rotate/yaw, there is also a bit of change in exposure, which isn't so pretty. This is why you should consider using Manual (the button under the shutter button in the Pilot app). Also you can click the AE-lock (little text-"button" top right). In Manual you set the ISO (100 in normal day conditions) and set the Shutter speed until you don't see too much overexposure (make sure you have enabled Overexposure Warning in the Camera settings - these show as "zebra-stripes" on the screen). It is important not to have too much of the image overexposed because that will be 100% white with no detail (can't do anything with it in your editor). But some zebra stripes are inevitable and okay, like the sun or reflections. If you try to get rid of them all, the image will become too dark.

Here is the kicker; there is a problem setting the shutter speed high (which the camera will do automatically in Auto mode (when not in Manual mode)). Having a very high shutter speed (200+) for video has the consequence that each frame becomes very sharp. Now, that sounds good, right? In stills it is. But in video, it isn't. Because in video we want some natural motion blur when there is a lot of fast movement in the image like when you rotate/yaw like in the video. In fact, the general rule of thumb is, to have a shutterspeed of about twice the framerate. So if you do 30 fps, it would be good to have a shutter speed close to 60 (lower and it will become quite blurry when there is movement, higher it will get stuttery/choppy like in your video).

The reason the camera does a high shutterspeed is because it uses it to control the amount of light that comes to the sensor. It only opens a short while to get enough light, if it is a bright day (or just daylight). What we can do to control this is to add an ND-filter (neutral density). This is like sunglasses for our camera, it is a grey filter that cuts out a part of the light so the camera can run at a slower shutter speed without getting overexposed. This has the benefit of adding some very much needed motion blur - and can also aid in problems with "jello" that we talked about. There are no official ND-filters available for the P3 yet, but there are some solutions, including cutting out filters yourself from GEL-sheets. It is not perfect, but it can help in certain situations. I could possibly cut you some filters from the sheets I have.

In general, you should really try to make very very slow camera movement. If you want to use/show the video, spinning that fast is a big no-no (unless you're going for that effect)   It is really about slow slow smooth smooth movement. It can help to lower the EXPO of the sticks so they don't move so fast when you just move them a little bit. This also goes for the gimbal-speed - it really helps to slow that down significantly from the standard setting which is way too fast for smooth gimbal up-and-down movement.

It is a good lesson to look at some of the nice looking aerial drone videos and notice what other people do. Notice that usually they dont turn around at all. They just go in one direction for a smooth flight - and then cut to another clip where they also don't yaw ("look around").

I know it got a little long-winded, but I hope you can glean something useful from my experiences.

Edit: I forgot to metion that some of the artifacts you see are due to compression. This is also normal. It gets worse when uploaded to YouTube where it is recompressed even further. Again, fast movement is the enemy. Especially in large areas of the same texture with tiny details - like that parking lot and especially grassy fields, tall grass etc.

2015-5-24
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
First Officer
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-25 02:55
Yes, that is normal.

I'm not sure - did you change the speed of the clip? Or is it the speed of the ...

GREAT info !!!!  thank you so much, was thinking i had a problem when its just the not knowing what i am doing with this type of video, i will print this out and go out tomorrow and try some of your ideas in manual mode, thank you for spending the time to write all this.

ps: do you have a you tube channel ?
2015-5-24
Use props
odontologo98
lvl.1

Brazil

Same problem here.
Thank you so much.
2016-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now