[Baseplate] Manfrotto incompatibility
18739 13 2018-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>

I have original Manfrotto baseplates 500PLONG (from 'Bridging technology' MVH500AH fluid head) and 504PLONGR (from latest Nitrotech N8).

504 is compatible with: MVH400AH, MVH502AH, MVH502A, 504HD, 509HD, MVHN8AH and MVHN12AH
The RoninS is said to be compatible with Manfrotto 501 PL.

Whilst the Ronin base plate also fits all my existing tripod heads without an issue, I cannot mount my existing plates onto the RoninS, because the fit is just a little too tight, which comes as an unforeseen and unneccessary surprise.
Also, I cannot use certain handy D-ring camera mount screws with the Ronin plate as the slit it too tight to make the bolts move along.

I think it would be good to make sure the infrastructure is interchangeable and compatible.

Thank you DJI team ;-)
2018-7-28
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I have Manfrotto 500Plong (https://www.manfrotto.it/monopie ... luida-e-testa-video) and the baseplate is fully compatible with Ronin-S.
2018-7-30
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

ToscanaDrone Posted at 2018-7-30 05:11
I have Manfrotto 500Plong (https://www.manfrotto.it/monopiede-video-xpro-con-base-fluida-e-testa-video) and the baseplate is fully compatible with Ronin-S.

interesting!
wonder if other users have this issue or if it's just me!
however, having 2 baseplates that i expected to fit makes me a little nervous..
2018-7-30
Use props
constmachi
lvl.1
United States

Anyone have advice on this as well? I'm having the same issue where none of my 501 plates fit nor any of my 357 ones. Frustrating, since it was all in the promotional material. I need plates that would fit on both the Ronin and all my heads and I don't want to add any more weight to the Ronin S by adding a QR adapter.
2018-8-2
Use props
AvaIzzySashi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ToscanaDrone Posted at 2018-7-30 05:11
I have Manfrotto 500Plong (https://www.manfrotto.it/monopiede-video-xpro-con-base-fluida-e-testa-video) and the baseplate is fully compatible with Ronin-S.

This is not true, I have a Manfrotto 500PLONG and it does not fit the Ronin-S
2018-8-6
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a GH5 specific plate from Zhiyun which is the same spec as Manfrotto but with the camera slightly offset. Sadly that doesn’t fit the Ronin either. It’s just slightly too wide.
2018-8-7
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I have the feeling the base plate receptical is manufactured too tight to allow for full Manfrotto compatibility.
Please post your experiences so that DJI knows if this is an isolated issue or a design problem across the board.
2018-8-7
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

AvaIzzySashi Posted at 2018-8-6 10:44
This is not true, I have a Manfrotto 500PLONG and it does not fit the Ronin-S

Yes is correct, i use the Ronin-S baseplate on my camera (not the Manfrotto baseplate) and i can use with all... Ronin, tripods and monopods.
So the right affirmation is “the Ronin-S badeplate is compatible with the Manfrotto Heads”.
04CAFF80-B6C3-48AB-BCD2-8A67E879D261.jpeg
2018-8-9
Use props
AvaIzzySashi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

After being frustrated by the fact that neither the Manfrotto 501PL nor the Manfrotto 500PLONG fit the Ronin-S base and trying out several other plates and ordering new ones to test, I can now say that the SmallRig Quick Release Plate (Manfrotto Style) 1647, fits perfectly. It fits on my Manfrotto base and also the Ronin-S. it has the same dimensions as the OEM Ronin-S plate (if you need to know how long it is by comparison, it is pretty much the exact same dimensions as the DJI Ronin-S plate) and if anything (oddly) the SmallRig 1647 fits better than the OEM Ronin-S plate (Go Figure)!
2018-8-15
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>

I also couldn't help myself noticing that the RoninS baseplate couldn't really slide all the way backwards/forwards on my Manfrotto Nitrotech N8,
About 'halfway' it hits a bump, forcing me to re-seat it further up.. must be a stopper that's DJI specific?
2018-8-15
Use props
Simon Bauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 627 ft
United States

I have the manfrotto 577 mount and the Ronin-S baseplate actually fits! Have to insert it from the front side of the mount
image.jpg
2019-3-2
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Simon Bauer Posted at 3-2 10:23
I have the manfrotto 577 mount and the Ronin-S baseplate actually fits! Have to insert it from the front side of the mount

It's not so much the DJI baseplate that's an issue (apart from limited sliding range), more the receiving part that doesn't take standard Manfrotto base plates, but thanks for pointing this out & sharing ;-)This is not what I would call 100% compatible.
2019-3-3
Use props
SavvyProduction
lvl.1
United States

AVsupport Posted at 3-3 00:52
It's not so much the DJI baseplate that's an issue (apart from limited sliding range), more the receiving part that doesn't take standard Manfrotto base plates, but thanks for pointing this out & sharing ;-)This is not what I would call 100% compatible.

Did anyone ever find an answer to this? My Manfrotto plate looks like it should fit but it is just a little too big. I'm happy to buy another plate if it would work for both. The Ronin-S plate won't work on my Manfrotto tripod due to the notch in the front.

https://savvyproductions.com/
2019-3-28
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

SavvyProduction Posted at 3-28 19:13
Did anyone ever find an answer to this? My Manfrotto plate looks like it should fit but it is just a little too big. I'm happy to buy another plate if it would work for both. The Ronin-S plate won't work on my Manfrotto tripod due to the notch in the front.

https://savvyproductions.com/

I ended up 'butchering' my [Manfrotto] baseplates with a file and cutting some bits out, so they would fit into the Ronin
Now all of them can be used on DJI/Manfrotto/Smallrig and vice versa.
As far as 'compatibility' goes, this is not pretty :/(
IMG_6068.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
2019-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules