Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Greetings,

Phantom 3 Pro

My gimbal seems to have an issue. It is a bit offset, even after a gimbal calibration.

When I reset it and apply "3" roll offset from the Pilot app, it becomes perfect flat.

The issue is that when I reboot the drone, the correction is gone.

I have a video online that you can see some of the problem:

Forward to 1:30min.
Left side of the sky is much wider than the right.
That same roll offset happens in the ground, in a flat surface.

Another video, not mine, forward to 15:00:

Left side, same thing.

Not mine, same thing at 20 seconds:

I can only see when the camera is full up.

Anybody else having this?

Thanks,

Marcelo

2015-5-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, there are various reports of gimbal tilt. Here is what you should try first.
http://www.droneflyers.com/talk/ ... ixes.969/#post-3011
2015-5-23
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

The horizon tilt issue appears to be affecting many, if not all P3s, out of the box.  Perhaps the factory calibration was off or its due to the copters being calibrated in China then shipped to many foreign countries.

To fix this issue, and I'm speaking from experience, you should:

1) Perform an IMU calibration with the P3 cold (not flown for several hours) and sitting on a perfectly level surface.  You can find plenty of posts in this forum on how to perform an IMU calibration (I've posted one myself).  To get to IMU calibration in the Camera screen of the DJI Pilot app:  Four Dots > MC Settings (this is the top menu item) > Sensors > (Scroll Down to bottom of Sensors Menu page) > IMU Calibration (takes 5 - 10 minutes)

2) After IMU calibration is complete, then perform a gimbal auto calibration with the P3 still sitting on the same level surface.  Here's where it gets tricky, the gimbal calibration may not work the first time (or the second or the third time).  Point the camera at something in the distance you know is level.  If the camera is not level after the gimbal calibration.  Do it again, and again until the camera is perfectly level after the gimbal calibration completes.  I had to do a gimbal calibration four times last night after installing the latest firmware update before I got a level camera at the end of the calibration.  I don't know why this doesn't work the first time every time.  To get to Gimbal Auto Calibration in the DJI Pilot app:  Four Dots > Gimbal Param Settings (5th menu choice from the top) > Gimbal Auto Calibration (takes less than a minute)

Note:  I always perform an IMU calibration and gimbal auto calibration after doing a firmware update.  And I have seen DJI posters recommend the same thing.  But this is not in the owner's manual.

Note: "Four Dots" means the General Settings menu, which is accessed by pressing the "four dots" symbol in the upper right-hand corner of the Camera screen in the DJI Pilot app.
Good luck.  And let me know if this took care of your tilted horizon problem.
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Good tips, David.

Unfortunately it does not seem to cure the problem 100%. Especially when rotating (yaw) the quadcopter, the horizon often becomes a little tilted - even if all the calibrations have been done.

Hopefully DJI can improve this in future firmware updates. But it is also happening in the Inspire 1 and in the P2V+.
2015-5-23
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Canada

Guys,

Thanks for the help.

After the IMU calibration twice and the gimbal calibration, it is looks normal in a flat surface.

I will post again if anything changes.

FantomDK, yes I notice that as well. Once you turn left or right in high altitudes or windy conditions, it stays in a bad position. It feels that the gimbal is stuck... or has a limited moving course. You can see this issue in the videos above.

Thanks for the help.
2015-5-23
Use props
tomasocadly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2215259 ft
Czechia

Any progress in this? We all suffer for this
2015-5-24
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Pls refer to the methods below:
1)  Plug out the battery and wait for 30 minutes to cool it down.
2)  Put the aircraft on a horizontal surface (need to be completely level, very important), calibrate IMU after powering on the aircraft immediately.
3)  Calibrate Gimbal after IMU calibration.

Try that and tell me the result.
2015-5-25
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Canada

Autumn, as stated before, that is exactly what I did and it worked so far for me.
2015-5-26
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 07:12
Good tips, David.

Unfortunately it does not seem to cure the problem 100%. Especially when rotating ...

Yes - unfortunately, I must also report that after performing multiple IMU calibrations and gimbal auto calibrations, my tilted horizon problem in recorded videos keeps coming back.  I hope DJI releases a firmware fix soon or provides detailed instructions on how to correct this - permanently.
2015-5-31
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377966 ft
United States

I got my Phantom 3 pro, I love this machine, I have flown about 5 6 times, & Im noticing the gimbal not being straight.  I have performed the IMU calibration & gimbal calibration several times, I have followed everything I read on this forum, but it just keeps coming back.  I have 2 vision plus 2 phantoms & have never had this kind of issue.   I really hope the DJI can get this corrected very soon, its not fun to spend money on a new product & come across these kind of issues, so please DJI help us & get this corrected.

Thank you so much.
2015-6-1
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

I am sure they are aware of it and doing their best to correct it and am sure in the next firmware release it will be sorted.

I am not trying to defend them I do not know if they have any testers but if they do they want to think about replacing the lot of them as they are hurting their business. Same for their dispatch department informing Customers that things are getting shipped when they are not.

This is my first DJI Product and if they continue on this route I will not have another.

/End Vent
2015-6-1
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377966 ft
United States

OK, Im really upset, I got the Phantom 3 pro less than 2 weeks ago.  I realized about the un even gimbal couple of days ago.  I have followed all the steps I red on this forum & still the same problem.  Done many IMU & gimbal calibrations & still the same problem.  I noticed that right after calibration the gimbal is nice & straight then I kept looking & noticed that very slowly it begins to tilt. I went ahead and looked at all my videos shot with the Phantom & noticed all of them are un even, the very first video right out of the box was not straight.  I guess I was so excited to get the machine up & going & I was so taken by the quality of the videos I just didn't notice them right away.  I emailed DJI & I really hope this gets taken care of, it not fun to spend your money on something that should work.  
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules