Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Critical system failure on a Inspire 2 - CRASH
1300 24 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SCA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1392028 ft
  • >>>

Yesterday i finally got to try my crystalsky monitor. I have a big job next week decided to use it instead of the iPad.
Plugged the screen and gave a warning for a firmware update. started and it failed. did it again and failed. decided to plug my phone and the update warning didn't show up, tested with the Ipad and the warning was gone. Plugged the Crystalsky and the warning was gone.

After having the drone on for some time in my office, checking settings and systems everything looked  good for a test flight.

Long story short... After about five minutes in the air, drone is in the air about 40 feet away from me and 60 feet up, as i was checking camera and monitor settings...

DRONE POWER IT SELF DOWN!!!

I didn't run out of battery, didn't lose a prop, i didn't shut de engine on the emergency mode,... drone was just hovering and out of the sudden i see a bunch of warning flashing on the screen and the drone drops from the sky.

I will upload pics soon. I had to go to the DJI Store in SF on a hurry because i have a big job next week.

Did anybody had something similar happen.

I test flew for four hours the day before and everything was fine, using the Ipad. Within five minutes with the crystal sky this crash happened.
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Inspire 2. Since this issue happened please contact DJI Support at www.dji.com/support or send an email to support@dji.com for further help on this issue.
2018-7-29
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

2018-7-29
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

Drone powered it self down. About 200 feet up. I'm going to upload some pictures from the telemetry. It stop recording also. Thats a big indicator the the power went off.

2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

SCA Posted at 2018-7-29 09:02
Drone powered it self down. About 200 feet up. I'm going to upload some pictures from the telemetry. It stop recording also. Thats a big indicator the the power went off.

[view_image]

I am sorry to see this picture of your DJI Inspire 2. Rest assured once our DJI Support Team will be able to know the real reason why this happened. You will be notified as soon as possible.
2018-7-29
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

By any chance did the batteries enter discharge cycle before you flew? Even just a little bit?
2018-7-29
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

The batteries where fine. I was bench testing color LUT, Frame Rates, Frame sizes e the dual recording. In my experience if there is anything wrong with the batteries, even not proper installation, you get a warning.
This are the last messages i got. In a very short amount of time, right before the drone power it self out. I can see it's having a bug with the landing gear and them the time stamp changes
2018-7-29
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

By the way the landing gear was not lowered like it says on the message. I had to use the crew drive to put the drone on "Travel Mode". and you could tell that the landing gear was still up
2018-7-29
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

Here is a link for the video with the Telemetry. Luckily nobody was hurt. the drone was about 20 feet away from me.
2018-7-29
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

SCA Posted at 2018-7-29 13:27
The batteries where fine. I was bench testing color LUT, Frame Rates, Frame sizes e the dual recording. In my experience if there is anything wrong with the batteries, even not proper installation, you get a warning.
This are the last messages i got. In a very short amount of time, right before the drone power it self out. I can see it's having a bug with the landing gear and them the time stamp changes[view_image][view_image][view_image]

I had an incident where my batteries showed 95% charged (they had started the discharge cycle) so I took off. I landed with the batteries at 12% just as I walked over to turn the inspire off it shut down by itself, I couldn’t even see the LEDs when pressing the button. I got in contact with DJI and they said I should never fly with packs that have started to discharge as the percentage remaining can be completely wrong.

I’m not say this is what happened to you, but something to consider. Perhaps DJI should have a warning stating the batteries have started to discharge and not to fly in the go app.
2018-7-30
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

How can you tell you are flying with batteries that are cycling? I thought one you fully charge you have the x days for the batteries to discharge. In my case I have the batteries set to discharge after 10 days. And I pretty much charge the batteries before I use them. You can se on the pics that I still had 34% of charge when I brought the drone back to the car. And the poet was on when o picked up from the ground.
I just sent the drone back and bought a new one. Tested all day yesterday and the new one is working fine. I will keep posting the results of his hw diagnosis of this crash. Thanks for charging your experience.
2018-7-30
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

SCA Posted at 2018-7-30 17:30
How can you tell you are flying with batteries that are cycling? I thought one you fully charge you have the x days for the batteries to discharge. In my case I have the batteries set to discharge after 10 days. And I pretty much charge the batteries before I use them. You can se on the pics that I still had 34% of charge when I brought the drone back to the car. And the poet was on when o picked up from the ground.
I just sent the drone back and bought a new one. Tested all day yesterday and the new one is working fine. I will keep posting the results of his hw diagnosis of this crash. Thanks for charging your experience.

Thats correct, once the batteries go past their set number of days before discharge they will begin their discharge cycle. Unless your keeping track of when they were charged and what the discharge cycle is then there is no indication if they have entered discharge or not. (unless of course they were fully charged but now read 80% or whatever). In this case once the discharge cycle begins the percentage remaining becomes inaccurate. In my case it said I had 12% remaining but in reality there was 0% remaining.

Just something to watch out for. I hope you get your crashed inspire sorted. Is your new inspire on the latest FW?
2018-7-30
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-7-30 18:42
Thats correct, once the batteries go past their set number of days before discharge they will begin their discharge cycle. Unless your keeping track of when they were charged and what the discharge cycle is then there is no indication if they have entered discharge or not. (unless of course they were fully charged but now read 80% or whatever). In this case once the discharge cycle begins the percentage remaining becomes inaccurate. In my case it said I had 12% remaining but in reality there was 0% remaining.

Just something to watch out for. I hope you get your crashed inspire sorted. Is your new inspire on the latest FW?

Yes lat st FW. Spent the day Sunday working on that. Did four flights about 17 minutes each. Landing about 25% of battery. Everything looked good.
Thanks for the tip on the batteries. I will pass that along. There will be another drone unit on this job this week and I know they rented batteries. Thanks
2018-7-30
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Wow, you have some serious b*lls! I would be super nervous to fly after a failed/crashed firmware update without refreshing it first. Hats off to you for taking such a brave and risky flight.
2018-8-1
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

dancopter Posted at 2018-8-1 02:51
Wow, you have some serious b*lls! I would be super nervous to fly after a failed/crashed firmware update without refreshing it first. Hats off to you for taking such a brave and risky flight.

Not sure what your talking about, I don’t think he needs to refresh the firmware on his second inspire, it hasn’t crashed?
2018-8-1
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>

Since upgrading the firmware, I am getting the landing gear raising issue fairly constantly.
2018-8-1
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-8-1 02:51

The drone was in pieces. DJI just got it today. I had to buy a new one and I'm already flying on a job. The new unit is doing great!
2018-8-2
Use props
PH2DW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39537 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-7-30 18:42

Do you know how to reset the discharge process? Got them set at 3 days. But after say 5 days they still show 4 leds or 98%. To high for the charger to work!

EDIT; Button resets timer. OK!!

2018-8-3
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

this is the diagnosis from DJI:
NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Power cut off, Expired warranty FLY366 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=651s, relative height=66m, log cut off in midair with no stick input or obstacle around. 3. No sign of battery voltage drop Conclusion: Power failure in midair. Incident date: 2018 07 28 Activation date: 2017-06-30 SN: 095XDC200201G2 Dear Customer, unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit
2018-8-7
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Damn so it’s out of warranty, how much have they quoted to repair? Concerning that they haven’t explained why there was a power cutoff
2018-8-7
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

it happend to me something similar last week the drone starts to spin by itself i have to landing on the ground but lost the cam and i2.
2018-8-7
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

Mafia16 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:17
it happend to me something similar last week the drone starts to spin by itself i have to landing on the ground but lost the cam and i2.

did your drone crash also? Did you send it to DJI?
2018-8-7
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-8-7 12:16
Damn so it’s out of warranty, how much have they quoted to repair? Concerning that they haven’t explained why there was a power cutoff

the repair is about US$800, but the problem is that i dont think DJI is Looking into the problem, just fixing the unit
2018-8-7
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

SCA Posted at 2018-8-7 12:59
did your drone crash also? Did you send it to DJI?

i didn't send it because DJI told me it was out of warranty i send it to a local DJI Authorized Repair center, i hope i put DJI Care next time.
2018-8-7
Use props
SCA
lvl.1
  • >>>

what is confusing to is is that they said:" 3. No sign of battery voltage drop Conclusion: Power failure in midair" and them they say:"Damage was not caused by product malfunction"

2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules