HELP! In flight, IMU encounters heading exception
1309 2 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans41ccd470
lvl.1
Canada

I’ve had my DJI Spark since December. I’ve had no problems up until this point and my flights have been fine. I’ll try to provide as much detail as possible to help understand. Sorry this is a bit long.

I recently went on vacation. It did suggest that I do a compass calibration on my first flight when we got here, so I did and everything was fine. I did a total of 4 successful flights yesterday. No problems, everything was fine.

I then did a fifth flight and everything was good. In the evening I decided I wanted to go back to one of the sites I shot earlier in the day.  I used my first battery and there were no problems. I then launched it again with my second battery and after about 5 minutes it said I lost signal and it started to return home. Once it was closer and I had my signal back I canceled the return home to continue my flight in the area but away from where I lost signal.

I then proceeded to get several warning messages shortly after: In flight, working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to Atti mode if aircraft behave abnormally. Immediately it was followed by weak GPS signal. Position accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution, then the drone entered Compass error: Exit P-GPS Mode.

My drone started acting irradically; speeding up and going down. After a bit of chaos I was able to bring it home and land it. Mind you it wasn’t far from me at all or very high.

I tried to find a solution if I should recalibrate my IMU, etc but many have said you shouldn’t unless it tells you and not to do it often. I figured it was a one off and things would be fine. My IMU says it’s normal and did not say it needed a calibration.

Flying today, happend on 2 out of 3 flights. The first flight was fine. On my second flight (at the same location) I got the same warnings as noted above but they went away and everything went back to normal.. The third flight, which was at a different location happend twice, and stayed on longer.

I cant think of any interference . Most my flights were over water so I cant think of any cause.

I obviously don’t want to lose or crash my drone so I’m hoping to find a solution so I can continue flying for the rest of my trip. Should I/is it okay to recalibrate my IMU? Or should I try something else.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Hoping I didn’t have any grammatical errors, typing this on my phone!
2018-7-29
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

You can recalibrate IMU and compass, no problem.
The IMU calibration can be done inside. Only the compass that needs to be calibrated outside with great GPS signal, far from any interference and metal structures.
Did you notice any lag in your video feedback?
2018-7-29
Use props
fans41ccd470
lvl.1
Canada

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-7-29 14:54
You can recalibrate IMU and compass, no problem.
The IMU calibration can be done inside. Only the compass that needs to be calibrated outside with great GPS signal, far from any interference and metal structures.
Did you notice any lag in your video feedback?

The only lag I noticed during my flight is when it lost the signal. Otherwise things have been fine! Thanks for the reply!
2018-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules