Sports mode, Lost Signal, No return home?
3403 54 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthony90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 761519 ft

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-31 22:53
You should not have lots the records, they are not on the controller anyway, they are in the screen device.

I have the controller with the inbuilt screen. So controller / screen is the same thing to me.   Either way the records were not logged at all, its like turning off the controller before landing the drone made them not save.
2018-7-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-7-31 20:58
I tried a test today and was a bit concerned. I have RTH on, all the settings on, and where it says loss of signal = hover OR RTH I have RTH on.  I turned off the controller to test a loss of complete signal, which another user recommended I do. So on a football oval with full control over the situation I turned off the RC. The drone just hovered there, it didn't do anything. No RTH? Why is this. 1 time it RTH on its own after a loss of signal, then this last time over the water it didn't. Then during this test it just hovered too..

Is it possible that your home point is not being recorded prior to take off ?
Just a thought .....
2018-8-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 2018-8-1 01:35
Just a thought .....

No it's not ...if the Phantom has GPS, it has recorded homepoint.
2018-8-1
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3

Manxmann Posted at 2018-8-1 01:35
Just a thought .....

Before I fly I make sure it says home point updated Maybe I can manually set it and see if that works.
2018-8-1
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-8-1 02:16
Before I fly I make sure it says home point updated  Maybe I can manually set it and see if that works.

After the controller is off, no lights left on, it should do nothing for 3 seconds, then it should retrace its route back to where it last had a good signal, then after 30 seconds it should give up and head home.  What happens during the 30 seconds depends on what it has been doing previously and is unpredictable unless you do it often enough to learn, and even after the 30 seconds it wont be in a big hurry to come home, so give it at least 40 seconds before you give up hope, and then post the logs to phantomhelp for us to take a look at.

If the setting for what to do on loss of signal is set to return home then it should come home.  Fly it out to 100m using a none direct path first - can make the return flight more interesting.
2018-8-1
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-1 03:06
After the controller is off, no lights left on, it should do nothing for 3 seconds, then it should retrace its route back to where it last had a good signal, then after 30 seconds it should give up and head home.  What happens during the 30 seconds depends on what it has been doing previously and is unpredictable unless you do it often enough to learn, and even after the 30 seconds it wont be in a big hurry to come home, so give it at least 40 seconds before you give up hope, and then post the logs to phantomhelp for us to take a look at.

If the setting for what to do on loss of signal is set to return home then it should come home.  Fly it out to 100m using a none direct path first - can make the return flight more interesting.

Thanks for your advice, I'll give this a go and see what happens. Ill post the data if its a fail so you can see!
2018-8-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-8-1 03:19
Thanks for your advice, I'll give this a go and see what happens. Ill post the data if its a fail so you can see!

It won't fail.
RTH is exceptionally reliable - much more reliable than many Phantom owners.
2018-8-1
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-31 16:44
We've been debating that for quite a few years.  

My take is that DJI doesn't see any sense in having to rise up to the min RTH height to RTH horizontally only 20 meters.  Especially since it's highly likely the pilot is standing right there.  So it just lands. If there's a problem with the landing spot, the pilot can cancel RTH and safely land it.  

Sounds plausible but 10m would be a lot safer.  Oh well maybe they'll change it.  
2018-8-1
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Oh well Anthony90,  no one can say you haven't tried your options.
I like your approach - hang in there and wait for the "light bulb" moment
2018-8-2
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Christine96 Posted at 2018-8-1 16:48
Sounds plausible but 10m would be a lot safer.  Oh well maybe they'll change it.

I think the main reason is so that if you are flying inside and it does an RTH, it does not fly up into the roof!  A mistake a lot of beginners will make on their first flight.

2018-8-2
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
New Zealand

Manxmann Posted at 2018-8-2 00:40
Oh well Anthony90,  no one can say you haven't tried your options.
I like your approach - hang in there and wait for the "light bulb" moment

Just gotta stay positive, safe trial and error haha.
2018-8-2
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Wot ?  No further developments ?
I was looking for the next episode .............

2018-8-4
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 2018-8-4 01:04
Wot ?  No further developments ?
I was looking for the next episode .............

Haven't had a chance yet to test the loss of RC signal / RTH.    It did however RTH when I was far away from home, battery was low, it went into RTH mode. So that is promising. However haven't tried the loss of signal yet which bothers me the most. Im back home now in Aus from a shoot in NZ so ill have time to give this a go. So stay turned for the next episode ;) haha
2018-8-4
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-8-4 16:41
Haven't had a chance yet to test the loss of RC signal / RTH.    It did however RTH when I was far away from home, battery was low, it went into RTH mode. So that is promising. However haven't tried the loss of signal yet which bothers me the most. Im back home now in Aus from a shoot in NZ so ill have time to give this a go. So stay turned for the next episode ;) haha

Back in March I had a couple of "Lost signal" incidents between the RC & drone.  It was occuring at as little as 600mtrs from homepoint.
There was not a problem as the drone did what it was supposed to do & headed for the Homepoint.
Now,  short story:   I got in touch with DJI who requested I send the RC to them in Melbourne - which I did.  They tested it a couple of times with their own drone out to 500 mtrs.  No problem found.
I told them they needed to go further afield,  but they quoted all sorts of CASA limitations & said they could only test to that distance.  Then they requested I send the drone itself (all at their expense).  They tested the pair  - to 500 mtrs - and reported there was no problem found.
About 3 weeks later I got the thing back to me in WA with a report "No fault found"  GRRRRR !
However,  since it came back there has been no re-occurence of the symptoms.  
Strange eh ??
None of which helps you - just thought I'd say ..... .... ......

2018-8-7
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 2018-8-7 01:28
Back in March I had a couple of "Lost signal" incidents between the RC & drone.  It was occuring at as little as 600mtrs from homepoint.
There was not a problem as the drone did what it was supposed to do & headed for the Homepoint.
Now,  short story:   I got in touch with DJI who requested I send the RC to them in Melbourne - which I did.  They tested it a couple of times with their own drone out to 500 mtrs.  No problem found.

Thats interesting, at least your drone always came back when there was a loss of signal haha. Really do need to test mine to see.. Good to see that it doesn't have that loss of signal anymore for you too
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules