Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Poor Radio Channel Quality / Transmission Issues
8717 18 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthonyp85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209721 ft
United States

Hello all. I had contacted DJI via email and was not pleased with the response I received. Figured I'd go to the forums to see if anyone else could help. DJI's final decision was to have me send it in and pay to get it repaired even though *I* did nothing to my Phantom 4 to cause this malfunction. It has never been crashed or water damaged, etc. It is in pristine condition. The only issue was me sending it to DJI to have them "fix it" in the first place due to their crappy firmware upgrade.

I had sent in my Phantom 4 (Best Buy Black Edition) just prior to the manufacturer warranty expiring, due to an issue when I went to do that horrible firmware upgrade that I had tried to avoid, and it had gotten stuck at 99%, no matter what I tried. DJI advised it was in fact a problem, and told me to send it to them. Several weeks later, I received it back. At this point, my warranty had expired. Then after getting it back, I started noticing when I would turn on the Phantom 4, the gimbal would randomly tilt down for no apparent reason, and I could not gain control of it... It appeared to be a random occurrence.

The *real* issue I started having after getting my drone back from DJI was that I started experiencing "poor radio channel quality" in areas that I had always frequently flown in without problems in the past. It would state "poor radio channel quality" and "strong interference detected. Be careful when flying long distances." This caused me to not be able to fly more than a few hundred feet without losing connection to my drone.  I also tried flying my DJI Spark in the same location, and was able to do so without issues.
I initially used my iPad Pro 9.7" and then switched over to my iPhone 7 Plus, to see if both gave me the same issues, and they both did. Then, I flew my DJI Spark in the same exact spot to see if it had the same problem, but it did not. I also received "high wind" warnings, when it was a nice calm day, even when I was flying it at a low altitude. I do understand that there may be stronger winds the higher up you go, but it showed it at low altitudes, too. Please see the attached pictures of the Phantom 4 screen issue/radio transmission issue etc., and then the Spark one for comparison.

To fix it, I tried clearing the cache from within the app, tried going from auto channel control mode, to custom/manual, back to auto... Deleted items from my actual device to create more room... I switched from my iPad Pro 9.7' to my iPhone 7 Plus... I also made sure that the antennas were facing the correct way, per instructions given on a DJI instructional video on YouTube and in the owner's manual. This was flown by my house, in an area that I have flown in the past without any issues.  I also flew at a park that I have flown in the past without issues. None of it helped. Thank you.

Phantom 4 Interference

Phantom 4 Interference

Phantom 4 Poor Radio Channel Quality

Phantom 4 Poor Radio Channel Quality

P4 Weak Image Transmission

P4 Weak Image Transmission

Phantom 4 Radio Channels

Phantom 4 Radio Channels

This last one showing the stable channels is the Spark one.

Spark Radio Channels

Spark Radio Channels

2018-7-30
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25571 ft
Malaysia

I'm having similar issue (weak signal/short distance) + compass calibration issue. I fixed my compass issue via landing legs antenna change via authorized service center. Refer to my post here
2018-7-30
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.1
United States

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-7-30 09:16
I'm having similar issue (weak signal/short distance) + compass calibration issue. I fixed my compass issue via landing legs antenna change via authorized service center. Refer to my post here

Thanks. Yeah I haven't had any luck... So far I've read people rolling back to a previous firmware version, or trying to reinstall the current firmware version a few times... That's about all I've found. But at least I see I'm not the only one I guess :-/
2018-7-30
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.1
United States

Any help would be greatly appreciated
2018-7-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

anthonyp85 Posted at 2018-7-30 16:40
Any help would be greatly appreciated

The messages regarding weak transmission signal or strong wireless interference are because you are flying in an urban environment that is probably saturated with WiFi router signals. Although there are litterally thousands of devices that can interfere with the control and FPV signal, WiFi is by far the most common. The solution is to shut off any local WiFi signals, such as on your phone or tablet, and/or fly in a locality away from the city.

2018-7-30
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-30 19:19
The messages regarding weak transmission signal or strong wireless interference are because you are flying in an urban environment that is probably saturated with WiFi router signals. Although there are litterally thousands of devices that can interfere with the control and FPV signal, WiFi is by far the most common. The solution is to shut off any local WiFi signals, such as on your phone or tablet, and/or fly in a locality away from the city.

I would agree with you here, if this had been happening from day one, and not a new issue. I have owned this Phantom 4 for quite a while, and it functioned fine until the latest firmware upgrade.. Also, my DJI Spark works completely fine in the exact same locations that I've tried to fly my Phantom 4. I uploaded a picture of the Spark's WiFi channels showing stable, versus the Phantom 4's radio channels, which all show unstable in the exact same location.
Edit:  This week I had a friend of mine (who owns a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Air) take my Phantom 4 out to try it out himself. He had the same exact issues with it. He tried out his Phantom 3 and Mavic Air and did not have those issues. Therefore, it is definitely my Phantom 4. I browsed some older threads, and it appears that this is a firmware issue with the Phantom 4, but #DJI once again appears to not want to own up to their faults, and instead wants the consumers to dish out money for something THEY messed up.
2018-7-31
Use props
eze.lasvegas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58914 ft
United States

As a new Phantom 4 user, this is disappointing about the latest firmware.  I have experienced these same problems, but not when I went out to the open desert.  I also know my iPad was overheating and resolved some of the problems.  I will try to disable the WIFI on my phone and iPad next flight to see the results.  Hopefully, they get things worked out promptly.
2018-7-31
Use props
knightfoxx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25571 ft
Malaysia

anthonyp85 Posted at 2018-7-31 03:44
I would agree with you here, if this had been happening from day one, and not a new issue. I have owned this Phantom 4 for quite a while, and it functioned fine until the latest firmware upgrade.. Also, my DJI Spark works completely fine in the exact same locations that I've tried to fly my Phantom 4. I uploaded a picture of the Spark's WiFi channels showing stable, versus the Phantom 4's radio channels, which all show unstable in the exact same location.
Edit:  This week I had a friend of mine (who owns a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Air) take my Phantom 4 out to try it out himself. He had the same exact issues with it. He tried out his Phantom 3 and Mavic Air and did not have those issues. Therefore, it is definitely my Phantom 4. I browsed some older threads, and it appears that this is a firmware issue with the Phantom 4, but #DJI once again appears to not want to own up to their faults, and instead wants the consumers to dish out money for something THEY messed up.

I believe we both shared the same issue and that I also owned another drone (Mavic Pro) to justify that it is not the WiFi saturation issue causing the signal interference as I flew both my P4 and Mavic Pro at the same place.

I replaced the landing gear of my P4 (which solved my compass calibration issue) and I believed the weak signal strength with my P4 might be another issue after all. My current suspicion is on my remote controller. Please refer to my response in another thread

If my theory is correct, I'll will update but it will take some time as I don't have access to a spare remote controller.
2018-8-1
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.1
United States

knightfoxx Posted at 2018-8-1 08:49
I believe we both shared the same issue and that I also owned another drone (Mavic Pro) to justify that it is not the WiFi saturation issue causing the signal interference as I flew both my P4 and Mavic Pro at the same place.

Sad to say "misery loves company" and at least I'm not the only one with this issue... I definitely feel it is something faulty with the newest firmware, since I was definitely not having this problem prior to the firmware upgrade... But DJI refuses to acknowledge any fault, and wants me to pay even for them to just look at my Phantom 4. I don't want to dish out money to them for a drone that is in perfect condition and has never been damaged. Sigh. Sadly, they know they currently monopolize the drone industry.
2018-8-5
Use props
Clek
New
Flight distance : 102812 ft
Brazil

Dear Friend, I have exatly the same problem. Do you already found solution?
2018-12-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Clek Posted at 12-21 15:12
Dear Friend, I have exatly the same problem. Do you already found solution?

This post is almost history now, the App's, and firmware have moved on since July. The first thing to check is make sure your aircraft firmware AND RC firmware are at latest builds. Often the RC updates get missed and this causes problems.
2018-12-21
Use props
anthonyp85
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-12-21 16:21
This post is almost history now, the App's, and firmware have moved on since July. The first thing to check is make sure your aircraft firmware AND RC firmware are at latest builds. Often the RC updates get missed and this causes problems.

I honestly don't know what managed to finally make it work, but mine now works, no thanks to DJI.. I unpaired it and then paired the RC to the drone, and then it worked. I'm not sure if THAT is what made it work finally. But yes, all the firmware and app were up to date.
2019-1-20
Use props
Anthony8858
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

anthonyp85 Posted at 1-20 06:57
I honestly don't know what managed to finally make it work, but mine now works, no thanks to DJI.. I unpaired it and then paired the RC to the drone, and then it worked. I'm not sure if THAT is what made it work finally. But yes, all the firmware and app were up to date.

Thats exactly what fixed mine.
Unpaired and paired and never happened again.
2019-1-20
Use props
Sarge4ever
lvl.1
Flight distance : 643 ft
United States

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-20 12:18
Thats exactly what fixed mine.
Unpaired and paired and never happened again.

Hello people! I’m new to the forum and looking for answers myself. I recently purchased a used phantom 4 drone with the same issues (poor radio channel quality) and I tried all the above. I don’t know if anyone else notice...even while grounded and the remote next to the drone the signal bounces from poor to good. At one point the remote crashed and luckily the drone returned to home on its own. Please help this old retired sarge!
2019-4-14
Use props
djiuser_gsoVncZIfUxh
lvl.1

Canada

eze.lasvegas Posted at 2018-7-31 13:37
As a new Phantom 4 user, this is disappointing about the latest firmware.  I have experienced these same problems, but not when I went out to the open desert.  I also know my iPad was overheating and resolved some of the problems.  I will try to disable the WIFI on my phone and iPad next flight to see the results.  Hopefully, they get things worked out promptly.

I am also a new user, but fairly educated, and I am also disappointed, but not because of this software issue, but because of their response. Sure, things can get missed, but it must be corrected. I have alone spent thousands and like to know if there will be a new update soon?! Please DJI fix this issue. Thanks.
2020-8-3
Use props
aNiceDJIuser
New

United States

It was the app. Stop using DJI go or whatever DJI app. Use Litchi. Back to normal distance range.

Tip jar:
https://paypal.me/planetarchitect?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
2022-7-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

aNiceDJIuser Posted at 7-8 20:49
It was the app. Stop using DJI go or whatever DJI app. Use Litchi. Back to normal distance range.

Tip jar:

What? you want people to pay you for providing a piece of useless advice, when others on here help out for free. Get off yourself.
2022-7-9
Use props
aNiceDJIuser
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 7-9 15:08
What? you want people to pay you for providing a piece of useless advice, when others on here help out for free. Get off yourself.

From what I've read, the others with this problem would never use the drone again without a fix. This, using Litchi /dropping the DJI software, seems to be the only fix. Feel free to tip me if I saved you a few hundred dollars. ;)
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_dZ7qEQJhrguB
lvl.1

Ghana

the RC of my phantom 4rtk displays radio channel quality N/A. any help because am unable to fly with this.
2023-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules