Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Crash in Lake - learn to disable auto land
2687 11 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Proteus88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105026 ft
Bolivia

Drone PSA: google how and learn to disable the “auto land” feature of your drones when flying over water.

I’m travelling and just had my Mavic Air mistake the reflections on the water for solid ground when in cane down low for a landing shot of the shore line and go into “auto land” mode and plummet straight into a lake here in Bolivia.

Frantically pressing up on the thumb stick to gain altitude did nothing and did not cancel the auto land.

I managed to get to it in less than a minute.

It was still on when I got to it and memory card and battery work fine so the drone is in a big bowl of rice and my fingers are crossed. Surprisingly didn’t seem to be too much water in the propellor area or under the memor card “hatch” even though it had been fully submerged.
2018-7-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. If in case that the DJI Mavic Air will not work properly on your next flight. I recommend contacting DJI Support at www.dji.com/support for further assessment of the Drone. Thank you.
2018-7-30
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

... and in the forest, when flying under the branches of trees. Auto return home - turn off!
2018-7-30
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

To prevent that from happening again, either disable the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO or don't hold the throttle stick in the full down position when the Mavic Air is close to an obstacle (e.g. water).
2018-7-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Hintsight is brilliant but its worth noting the pause button on the RC stops most things.  But the quickest method to get the thing out of automatics and back into a hover is toggle into sport mode.

I fly off a boat (that moves) over water.  I want everything off for that.  I dont want low battery return home, i dont want landing protection!
2018-7-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I always switch off landing protection and once was about just 900 meters away when battery hit the 10% mark, was going down but managed to keep the stick up to gain altitude and came back with 0% battery, since then managed to figure a work around with the modded Dji assistant 2
2018-7-30
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 283904 ft
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-30 09:44
Hintsight is brilliant but its worth noting the pause button on the RC stops most things.  But the quickest method to get the thing out of automatics and back into a hover is toggle into sport mode.

I fly off a boat (that moves) over water.  I want everything off for that.  I dont want low battery return home, i dont want landing protection!

Thanks for the tip mate!

Danny
2018-7-30
Use props
Proteus88
lvl.2
Bolivia

Battery was over 35%. In the flight log and video the tragectory of the mavic to the beach looks great and steady then the mavic seems pauses itself awkwardly as if the sensors are confused and then goes straight down from 13m up.

Very similar to a number of people who have posted this happening over water and YouTube videos.

DJI has been very helpful.

Not denying it could be partially my fault as I was holding forward and down when filming and I don’t think landing could be triggered without be holding down but still extremely disappointing given the frantic pressing up and pressing “X” to no avail.

Not sure if it could be part of the issue but it landed in the water lower than where it took off so maybe when it was getting down to 0M (if 0 is the height at which it took off) it was more sensitive to landing or something? Maybe this Wouldn’t make sense actually as people can be controlling/launching drone at a high point and flyjng it lower than themselves in a canyon or below Bridge etc.

Anyways regret not buying DJI care and have sent video/logs into DJI which have been great. Still traveling for 2 more weeks in Chile but will be mailing in the drone as soon as I return to Canada.

Perhaps it’s possible to buy a replacement drone without the controller/accessories? Worst case scenario I’ll wait until Black Friday.
2018-8-3
Use props
Proteus88
lvl.2
Bolivia

Thanks so much for the replies and tips guys!
2018-8-3
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

People don't plan ahead when flying and then it's to late.
2018-8-3
Use props
Proteus88
lvl.2
Bolivia

Lesson learned  rolling56
2018-8-3
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
United States

As someone who had put 2 Air's into a lake, I feel your pain.
2018-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules