How Quiet is Quiet ?
1936 31 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

This speaks for itself about how quiet a bird of a different feather is. Around 22' AGL, they know its there but just can't figure it out

2018-7-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

They were amazingly indifferent!  I'm guessing they're farmed animals and not wild?  But even so.   Thanks for the share.
2018-7-30
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

QuadKid.
Awesome.
Love videos of nature especially the deer. What were they grazing on?
The spike deer at the video end new you were there … but "where could you be" it was thinking.
2018-7-30
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent video! Awesome control! Was this your Air or Pro?
2018-7-30
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Nice video but i make it a personal policy not to bother wildlife myself unless it just happens in my FPVing of course.
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-30 10:40
Nice video but i make it a personal policy not to bother wildlife myself unless it just happens in my FPVing of course.

Believe me they were not bothered at all, didn't even know it was there.
2018-7-30
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Very Cool, was this shot with a Mavic Pro?
2018-7-30
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

That fence doesn't seem to be helping much...  
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-7-30 11:08
Very Cool, was this shot with a Mavic Pro?

No. Much quieter drone.
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

dwin1977 Posted at 2018-7-30 10:38
Excellent video! Awesome control! Was this your Air or Pro?

Neither, different drone.
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

MrArcher Posted at 2018-7-30 11:14
That fence doesn't seem to be helping much...

They bounce over that fence like it wasn't even there.
2018-7-30
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

Yep, like gigantic bunny rabbits, deer can jump.
2018-7-30
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I'm going to take a guess and say this was filmed with  a Anafi .
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

Kingram Posted at 2018-7-30 13:14
I'm going to take a guess and say this was filmed with  a Anafi .

Yup, just replied on the Tube
2018-7-30
Use props
maddox
Captain

very nice
2018-7-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-30 11:21
They bounce over that fence like it wasn't even there.
Pretty low fence.
Is it there to keep Turtles out?
2018-7-30
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Feeding up to make some good sausage!   They knew it was there but they have no natural enemies from above.
2018-7-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Very nice QuadKid.
I know what my new toy wii be
2018-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-30 10:49
Believe me they were not bothered at all, didn't even know it was there.

Aloha QuadKid ,

The deer knew something was there but it was what you might call "invisible" to the deer in the field.  Deer are ungulates.  Their vision is based on movement, it is "dynamic".  This is the same thing that allows a Matador to not be seen by the bull.  The Matador shakes and moves the cape and the bull can see the shaking of the cape but the Matador stands still, if the Matador moves they get gored.

You did a real good job demonstrating how "static" and "dynamic" vision work.  By moving ever so slow, the deer could not see you even though you were 20-30 feet away.  This is how big cats stalk ungulates.  Their pelts are camouflage and they creep up ever so slowly.  You were creeping up ever so slowly to the deer until it got the "willies" and returned to the herd.  You are right, "It did not even know it was there", but it sensed it.

The quiet sound was not so important as the slow movement your Anafi was making.  Try this test.  (Others can try this test with any of the Mavics.)  Do the same thing as in this video and look at the whole herd.  When none of them can see you, move quickly sideways.  Be sure you can stop quick.  Maybe start with 3 feet, next 5 feet, 7 feet and finally 10 feet.  The herd will hear the Anafi but unless they see it move, it will still be "invisible" to them.  Once one of them sees the drone move, they will give a warning to the herd and their behavior will change.  One thing they will do is look at the warning deer and then look where it is looking.  Maybe then they will bolt?  Depends.

I get wild pigs that come by and into my yard.  (I live in the jungle.)  I can stand still 20-30 feet from them and if I am still and silent (human sounds), they will not notice that I am there.  They are real funny and have real interesting relationships, they even protect each other.  But once I lift my arm and wave just my fingers up and down, they will bolt.  They have good vision but it is dynamic vision.

Try it.  You can get great wildlife shots and videos this way.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

Woe Posted at 2018-7-30 19:50
Very nice QuadKid.
I know what my new toy wii be

2018-7-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-30 23:51
Aloha QuadKid ,

The deer knew something was there but it was what you might call "invisible" to the deer in the field.  Deer are ungulates.  Their vision is based on movement, it is "dynamic".  This is the same thing that allows a Matador to not be seen by the bull.  The Matador shakes and moves the cape and the bull can see the shaking of the cape but the Matador stands still, if the Matador moves they get gored.

Thank you Cetacean, Great Information to have, as one of the intended uses for this drone is capturing wildlife, next safari will be looking for Gators.
2018-7-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-31 00:17
Thank you Cetacean, Great Information to have, as one of the intended uses for this drone is capturing wildlife, next safari will be looking for Gators.

Aloha QuadKid ,

Damn, I am at a loss for gators!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-31 00:44
Aloha QuadKid ,

Damn, I am at a loss for gators!

Check this out, if I had the Anafi when this was shot I could have gotten much closer, Shot with the MP

2018-7-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-31 01:25
Check this out, if I had the Anafi when this was shot I could have gotten much closer, Shot with the MP

Aloha QuadKid ,

To see if it was sound or vision that tipped off the gator, you need to test the approach.  In the video, it could have been vision that tipped off the gator as much as sound.  If you went up high and came down directly behind the gator, it would have done some sort of movement to indicate it was following the sound.  If you come down straight behind it, it will indicate by rotating toward the drone.  Gators have questionable vision because of the nictitating membrane over their eyes that allow them to see underwater, but this event took place out of water.  

Sound is transmitted through the water and into its skin as much as it might go into its ears.  But they do have an air canal between the eardrums that allows them very good directionality (recently discovered, 2014).  Because their hearing is so directional and their vision does not use the nictitating membrane while out of water, try to test this question on your planned trip.

Think about this for your trip.  Is it vision or hearing that tips off the gator?  Use the loud Mavic and the quiet Anafi as sound sources and check out the gator's use of their eyes tracking or looking for the sound source, the drone.  If the tests are inconclusive - you will still have great video of the attempts!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-31
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

How much quieter is the Anafi than the MPP?
2018-8-2
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

Using a Mavic PRO with the new props I was 60' up ad 150' out from a heard of elk and they bolted. Did not like it at all. I have been within 30' of deer with them being slightly bothered but not enough to run most of the time.
2018-8-2
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-7-30 23:51
Aloha QuadKid ,

The deer knew something was there but it was what you might call "invisible" to the deer in the field.  Deer are ungulates.  Their vision is based on movement, it is "dynamic".  This is the same thing that allows a Matador to not be seen by the bull.  The Matador shakes and moves the cape and the bull can see the shaking of the cape but the Matador stands still, if the Matador moves they get gored.

Nice explanation Cetacean.  
2018-8-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-2 13:17
Nice explanation Cetacean.

Aloha Miata,

It is fun to say your comment fast three times.  Mahalo!

We have great tools rarely available previously.  We should use them.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AuroraHunter Posted at 2018-8-2 12:09
Using a Mavic PRO with the new props I was 60' up ad 150' out from a heard of elk and they bolted. Did not like it at all. I have been within 30' of deer with them being slightly bothered but not enough to run most of the time.

Aloha AH,

How fast were you going?  If you get another chance, try to see if you can slowly approach them and from different heights.  Elk are ungulates like deer, cows and pigs.  They all have dynamic vision like bulls with a Matador.  They cannot "see" you unless you are moving compared to some sort of background and that movement has to be "significant" (whatever that means).

Let us know how it goes.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-2
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-2 16:22
Aloha AH,

How fast were you going?  If you get another chance, try to see if you can slowly approach them and from different heights.  Elk are ungulates like deer, cows and pigs.  They all have dynamic vision like bulls with a Matador.  They cannot "see" you unless you are moving compared to some sort of background and that movement has to be "significant" (whatever that means).

I flew in fairly slow. And was stopped for about 30 seconds trying to get the camera setup. They were watching me the whole time. Once one decided to bolt they all took off together.

Here is a frame grab of the moment when the one decides to bolt.
2018-8-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video, thanks for sharing.
2018-8-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AuroraHunter Posted at 2018-8-2 17:45
I flew in fairly slow. And was stopped for about 30 seconds trying to get the camera setup. They were watching me the whole time. Once one decided to bolt they all took off together.
[view_image]
Here is a frame grab of the moment when the one decides to bolt.

Aloha AH,

Good photo!  Look at their tracks.  Originally, they were all travelling directly toward the camera.  Then that big guy on the lower left (the scout) spotted you and changed direction, like 90 degrees toward your back left and went that direction for as much as 30 seconds.  Moving in that direction, you were easily seen as moving against the background by the scout.  Then the scout got real nervous and bolted in the opposite direction.  Great shot, great capture, perfect frame for this analysis.

Of the 47 elk in the herd, 22 are still facing or slightly facing your back left, 21 are facing toward the right or slightly toward the right, 3 are still facing direct to the camera and one is facing away from the camera.  It is a real interesting spread of behavior and a lot of it is recorded in the snow.

You can see the front part of the herd had turned to follow the scout that bolts but the main herd kept going toward the camera.  With the scout changing direction, the main herd started paying attention to see what had made the scout change direction in the middle of a lake!  You can see the confusion and indecision in that main part of the herd.

You can see that the alpha buck (only one with antlers) is in the group with the scout that bolts.  The main herd has turned slightly in the opposite direction so they look like they were going to travel around the drone.  You seem to have split the herd.  Very interesting.

Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules