Gimbal Settings question
2967 14 2018-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft

I'm a crass beginner when it comes to shooting video (drone video or any other type), and I've been watching a ton of YouTube tutorials to get started. I have what might be a silly question concerning advice that's given in the videos, and it involves Gimbal Settings in the DJI GO 4 app.

A lot of videos give recommendations regarding the following settings: Gimbal Settings... Camera Gimbal Advanced Settings. In some of the videos, they mention "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer". I don't see any such setting in my version of DJI GO 4 (the latest version as of this writing). However, I do see a setting for "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" which isn't mentioned in these videos.

Is the "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer" setting the same as "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting?

Larry

2018-7-31
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go to the settings in the app and tap the gimbal icon.  From there, tap the advanced settings, this is where you will find the adjustments.  I just had to reset all mine as I reinstalled the app.  Play with it and see what works for you.
2018-7-31
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry, I didn't fully read your post before hitting enter.  I have the same settings and I don't undertand what that one means either.  I have slowed the speed of the tilt.  I'm at work so I can't hook into the bird to see.  What I did was turn it all on in my living room and played with those settings until I found the gimbal speed I liked.
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Thanks for reaching out DJI Forum. I just want to clarify, may I know if you're using an Android device? May I also know the version of DJI Go 4 app you are using right now?
2018-7-31
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

Yes, I am using an Android device, a Samsung  Galaxy Tab S2 8", WiFi only. It's running DJI GO 4 version 4.2.21. The app checks for updates every time it launches, which hopefully confirms that this is the latest version available.

Larry
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, the mobile device ( Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 ) that you are using is not yet recommended with your DJI Mavic Air. There is a possibility that it will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with our application we cannot be guaranteed the stability of the application if it will work all the time while using the specific mobile device. For reference, I will be posting the most recent list of the recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Air.

2018-7-31
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Don't pay any attention to the recommended phones/tablets because they are mostly all obsolete and DJI will not update them since close to 2 years here now for me. Anyway what is a "crass beginner"?

Options show different with different versions.
2018-7-31
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

The tablet I am using may not be on your "approved" list, but it works perfectly fine with my remote control and Mavic Air. My question has nothing to do with DJI GO 4 malfunctioning or crashing, it runs perfectly fine and does what I need it to do. How in the world could an incompatibility change the WORDING of a setting in the app? :-)

With that out of the way, can anyone tell me whether the "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer" setting mentioned in some tutorial videos is the same as the "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting in the latest version of the app? Is this just a renaming of the same setting from one version of DJI GO 4 to another, or is it a different animal?

Larry
2018-7-31
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:21
Don't pay any attention to the recommended phones/tablets because they are mostly all obsolete and DJI will not update them since close to 2 years here now for me. Anyway what is a "crass beginner"?

Options show different with different versions.

Thank you for actually reading and answering my question, I appreciate it. I was hesitant to try the advice from some videos when the terms they used didn't match what I saw in the DJI GO 4 app. It sounds as if the two settings (from different versions of the app) are referring to the same thing.

Larry

P.S. I've shot less than an hour of video of any sort, ever (on the other hand, I've been involved in still photography for more than 50 years). I think that qualifies me as a beginner, anyway.
2018-7-31
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:40
Thank you for actually reading and answering my question, I appreciate it. I was hesitant to try the advice from some videos when the terms they used didn't match what I saw in the DJI GO 4 app. It sounds as if the two settings (from different versions of the app) are referring to the same thing.

Larry

It's a setting in camera in Dji Go the app for Dji drones before 4.
Its not in your Dji Go 4 app.
2018-7-31
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4

G_Sig Posted at 2018-7-31 13:56
It's a setting in camera in Dji Go the app for Dji drones before 4.
Its not in your Dji Go 4 app.

So, I guess I'm back to asking the same question:

Is the "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer" setting (old versions of DJI GO) the same as "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting (DJI GO 4)?

Larry
2018-7-31
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:58

Is the "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer" setting (old versions of DJI GO) the same as "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting (DJI GO 4)?

No it is more how it handle memory. The Gimbal Pitch Smoothness is more how fast the gimbal respond to changes.
2018-7-31
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:24
The tablet I am using may not be on your "approved" list, but it works perfectly fine with my remote control and Mavic Air. My question has nothing to do with DJI GO 4 malfunctioning or crashing, it runs perfectly fine and does what I need it to do. How in the world could an incompatibility change the WORDING of a setting in the app? :-)

With that out of the way, can anyone tell me whether the "Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer" setting mentioned in some tutorial videos is the same as the "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting in the latest version of the app? Is this just a renaming of the same setting from one version of DJI GO 4 to another, or is it a different animal?

So all is well, which is the most important! :-) The wording of menus in DJI GO and DJI GO 4 varies depending on which operating system you have and also which aircraft you fly. My answer to your question is only my best guess that yes, it means the same. The relevant parameter anyway is how fast your gimbal will move when you turn the wheel. For cinematic and smooth footage you should set the value very low. Just play a bit with it and see what suits you best.
2018-7-31
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:58

I think it may be referring to the 'Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow'.

This acts like a start/stop damper for gimbal when yawing aircraft left or right.
2018-7-31
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-7-31 13:40

Larry

Well i am 62 so i consider myself a beginner for a 1 1/2 years now with a FAA 107  certificate but i watch all the manned videos at the faasafety.gov site to be a better pilot regardless  
2018-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules