Mavic Air Runaway
1725 10 2018-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
off2board
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379764 ft
United States

Well, it happened to me.  My drone lost its mind and crashed.  flew it for about 11minutes and was returning home to land.  Got it above me and staring to rotate to turn it 180 and it just started spinning and banked hard into a tree.  Luckily it hit the tree and and fell to the ground in some dirt.  No damage and did a test flight directly after the incendent and had no issues.  Now Im nervous to fly it again.  Im not going to go into my pre check list or what I might of done wrong.  I flew it in sport mode no issues for 10 minutes...then it started spinning and spinning and crashed.  This was not a operator error.  Guaranteed.
Here is the flight log...but there is nothing really to tell....the software freaked out at 75ft in the air with now power lines.  This was after spending 200 bucks on a repair that WAS operator error.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/RCAQN5ICMN3GMV227KRU/

2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since a crash happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at www.dji.com/support for further assessment and repair of the drone. Please sync the flight records as well using your DJI Go 4 application for further analysis. Thank you.
2018-7-31
Use props
off2board
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-31 16:02
Hi. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since a crash happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at www.dji.com/support for further assessment and repair of the drone. Please sync the flight records as well using your DJI Go 4 application for further analysis. Thank you.

I synced them...but is there something further I need to do after?
2018-7-31
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Your flightrecord looks quite ok in the beginning although you started with weak satellite link. But homepoint was recorded and satellites got stronger soon after. The decisive moment was at 10m 13.3s when it lost satellite link and went into ATTI mode. This is very difficult to control, even for experienced pilots and fully explains your description of events above. It was not the software that "freaked out", your aircraft lost satellite link and consequently was unable to control its position. But I am very happy that you got it back without damage and it has not landed in the water!
2018-7-31
Use props
off2board
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-31 16:20
Your flightrecord looks quite ok in the beginning although you started with weak satellite link. But homepoint was recorded and satellites got stronger soon after. The decisive moment was at 10m 13.3s when it lost satellite link and went into ATTI mode. This is very difficult to control, even for experiencd pilots and fully explains your description of events above. It was not the software that "freaked out", your aircraft lost satellite link and consequently was unable to control its position. But I am very happy that you got it back without damage and it has not landed in the water!

Ya...I find it strange that it lost satellites at that point.  I didn't know that it went into atti mode at the time that it happened.  It just happened so quick.  I looked down at my phone to see what direction I was facing and next thing I know it was in a tree.   Just a bummer.  Yea...I was on my deck near the water so it could of been way worse.
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

off2board Posted at 2018-7-31 16:19

Hi off2board, we are really sorry for the mishap, please contact our support team to start a ticket for the data analysis, we have professional analysis team who will help to figure out the reason. Thanks.
2018-7-31
Use props
maddox
First Officer

sorry to read that buddy
2018-8-1
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

off2board Posted at 2018-7-31 16:26
Ya...I find it strange that it lost satellites at that point.  I didn't know that it went into atti mode at the time that it happened.  It just happened so quick.  I looked down at my phone to see what direction I was facing and next thing I know it was in a tree.   Just a bummer.  Yea...I was on my deck near the water so it could of been way worse.

ATTI mode is a strange beast, unfortunately there is no way for you to practise this in a large open area, previously you able to put the aircraft into ATTI mode so you could learn the behaviour
2018-8-1
Use props
off2board
lvl.2
United States

Exib Posted at 2018-8-1 05:10
ATTI mode is a strange beast, unfortunately there is no way for you to practise this in a large open area, previously you able to put the aircraft into ATTI mode so you could learn the behaviour

Yea it would be nice.  I fly it in my house in atti mode but its fairly easy cause there is no outside wind.  Just the winds generated from the aircraft itself.  (Of course I have to disable return to home and just have it hover if lost connection).
2018-8-1
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

You have to be ready for anything when flying. Glad yours isn't crashed really bad. Fly safe!
2018-8-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

off2board Posted at 2018-7-31 16:19

Hi off2board. Glad to hear you were able to synced the flight records as this is essential data so that our professional analyst would be able to read the main caused of the accident. Were you able to contact our support team already? If not please do contact our support team so that they can create a ticket and start the data analysis. If you do have more concern please feel free to contact us. Thank you
2018-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules