Takes a long time to acquire strong GPS signal, any clue why?
1898 10 2018-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rblomqvist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

I’m located in central Florida and typically I fly at the same locations. Even if at the exact same location, the time it takes to acquire strong GPS lock varies a lot, from about a minute to 3-4 minutes. Even with totally un-obstructed view of the sky it frequently takes several minutes to acquire above 9-10 satellites. I prefer never to take off before at least 11 satellites and never before RTH is set. Of course, with higher altitude I soon get 15-17 satellites locked. I understand how GPS systems work and I know you will have different amount of visible satellites at different times, but are the differences that big or is it something with my MA?

Would love to know how long time it takes for other pilots and how many satellites you usually consider safe before taking off? Also, are there any settings that you can change to speed up the process? What is your start up order? I usually start the AC first followed by the RC and finally DJI Go.         

2018-8-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

To be honest I have no idea why it sometimes takes longer but for me it really depends on location. New locations take longer than "known" ones is my experience. There is nothing in the settings to speed up the process. My personal minimum is also 11 and my preferred order of switching on is RC and Crystalsky first (Crstalsky and GO 4 start automatically), AC I start as last.
2018-8-1
Use props
Rblomqvist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-1 06:26
To be honest I have no idea why it sometimes takes longer but for me it really depends on location. New locations take longer than "known" ones is my experience. There is nothing in the settings to speed up the process. My personal minimum is also 11 and my preferred order of switching on is RC and Crystalsky first (Crstalsky and GO 4 start automatically), AC I start as last.

Thanks for the feedback
2018-8-1
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

In my opinion, what you are doing in terms of GPS signal receiving is correct. 11 satellites are good enough to fly. Besides, it is a good habit to wait for the RTH setting voice before take-off. Please try turning on the RC first.  I had watched a video for newbees for DJI Mavic Air, and the pilot was advising this way of flight preparation. RC will be turned on first and turned off last after the flight.  BTW, I normally get 10-12 satelleties in 30-60 seconds.

Cheers,
2018-8-1
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I am also in Florida in the Port Saint Lucie area. Even with clear skies it takes about as long as it takes you to acquire 11 satellites.
Now night flight it picks them up a lot quicker.

Safe flying.
2018-8-1
Use props
DrMagical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 959879 ft
United Kingdom

It's odd how you wait a long time to acquire satellites at the start of a flight. Switch it off, replace the battery, switch back on and it's instantly in GPS mode??? How does that work? It must have some non-volatile memory which stays active without the battery to remember satellite positions??
2018-8-1
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Try having your AC a little colder than room temp.....like keep it in air conditioning until it's really cool.

Do an IMU calibration.   From what I understand part of the issue is the IMU needs to warm up.......your first flight everything will take longer to boot up.  Landing, then changing battery, your IMU is already where it needs to be, so she's ready to fly sooner.

Randy

2018-8-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DrMagical Posted at 2018-8-1 07:32
It's odd how you wait a long time to acquire satellites at the start of a flight. Switch it off, replace the battery, switch back on and it's instantly in GPS mode??? How does that work? It must have some non-volatile memory which stays active without the battery to remember satellite positions??

It's not that odd.  Even handheld GPS units will take longer to acquire satellites when enough time has passed or Handheld unit has been moved some distance from previous location.  The last known latitude and longitude are used as starting place for processing GPS Satellite data.
2018-8-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

What is your start up order?  I usually start the AC first followed by the RC and finally DJI Go.

Because I am using a CrystalSky as SmartDevice, I start it before R.C.  Otherwise starting R.C. can kick off CrystalSky - GO-4 App.

Startup Order as follows:
1) Mavic Pro P
2) CrystalSky Ultra
3) GO-4 App
4) Remote Control
2018-8-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

GPS need long time to initial by getting the position for every satellite available about. Once it locked with the satellite the information will keep in the memory. When switch off and on quickly it can link with locked satellites immediately. If unit switch off for longer time or moved to new position hundreds meters away it needs to recalculate the position with satellites when power up. Longer power off time and farther away from last position it needs longer time to lock with satellites.

If you not put aircraft correctly on flat surface during power up the IUM and compass may not be able to initial correctly. It will take longer time for aircraft to initial if it is moving or not in right position.
2018-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

11 is a good safe number, it was always recommended RC , Aircraft then app, in good signal areas gps should kick in at about 60 seconds, when changing battery it should be a lot quicker. Once your gps kicks in anything from 6 to 11 your Aircraft will register homepoint, although we don’t see or hear this until Aircraft has taken off.
3/4 minutes seems inordinately long in good areas not covered by trees etc, when starting Aircraft try to avoid blocking signal by covering top of Aircraft with your hand, this might help.
2018-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules