Phantom 3 vrs phantom 2plus v3.0
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warbishop
lvl.1

United States

i noticed you can preorder the phantom 3 for around a grand but the phantom 2plus v 3.0 is virtually very similar in pricing.  So, is it worth upgrading?  Anyone have a list of the key pros and cons?  

Would I be better off ordering another phantom 2 plus v3.0 or waiting til June 30 th and going advanced?  I need help from someone that knows more about this than me.

Thanks
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l have both so l can give you a list of my experiences, pros and cons, though your preferences may not be mine.
The P2V+V3 was fantastic when l got it, l loved it so much l wanted a second one. lf the P3 hadn't come out when it did l would have had 2 the same right now.
Cons:
1/ Recently l have lost all FPV on the P2. Apparently it is a known and wide-spread issue. l have to fly close-range LOS only.
2/ Price still relatively high considering there is a "better" model on the market for less.
Pros:
1/ BIG pro: the ESCs are individual boards and can be replaced easily and inexpensively by the user at home. And they fail regularly enough for this to be a biggie.
2/ Accessories and batteries are readily available.
3/ Third party apps are geared towards this machine.

l have the P3 Pro so l'll try to keep it generic and non-camera related:
Cons:
1/ Everybody who owns one only has one battery. They should be in stock "soon".
2/ Not everything advertised as being available is yet available, eg, no point-of-interest, no follow me, no flight simulator for Android users, no waypoints...
3/ ESCs are incorporated into the main board, so any minor thing that goes wrong must be returned to DJI for repair < major con.
Pros:
1/ This thing is an absolute work of art. lt is far more stable, far more responsive and more powerful than the P2. The flight is very different, it's like riding a race-horse right after getting off a pony.
2/ Lightbridge! And the Pilot app, l'll lump them together. l've had nothing less than full strength on all signals, and the fewest amount of satellites l've had to date was 13.
Pro/con tie:
The updating of the P3 is different than the P2. We download the file onto card and put it in the machine and controller. lt's a bit of a pain but the newer updates can be downloaded onto (separate) cards and kept as stepping stones for those of us who like to run on older, proven FW. - No computer apps, everything is in Pilot on the ipad.
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l forgot to mention as a con that there have been widely reported issues with the P3 of camera tilt. lt can be corrected within the app but needs to be done each time before flying. DJI has not responded to the complaints yet as far as l've seen.
2015-5-24
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I have the p2v+ v3 and the p3 advance and it's not even close. Once you've flown the p3 you will have a hard time going back to the p2v+. Gps lock is quick and solid with 13+ satellites on a consistent basis. Flys and handles better.  The biggest difference is in the flight distance and video stream. Lightbridge is awesome.  I went close to one mile with a solid 720p video feed and control connection before I got scared and brought it back.  The p2v+ video is laggy, freezes and drops and not nearly as clear and of course the range is severely limited to 1600-2000 feet max for me before I lose control and/or video connection. The pilot app is also so much better than the vision app. I like the p3 so much I bought another one to complement my two p2v+ and three phantom 1's.  I now have 7 phantoms...I'm a dji phantom addict...lol..I would not even consider the p2v+ especially since the are still close in price.
2015-5-25
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I just finished flying both the p3 and p2v+ In the same location  heading in the same direction for a distance test. I got the p2  2300 feet before I lost video connecting and  2828 feet (.86 km) before I lost control connection and a return to home was initiated. The phantom 3 headed in the same direction went 5033 feet  or 1.5 km before signal started to intermittently break up and I decided to bring her back. Return to home was never initiated.  Video connection remained strong on the p3 till the very end of the run  whereas the p2 video connection got  leggy after about 2000 fEet. I'm also getting mad jelly on the p2 and none on the p3. P3 all the way!! Once you go p3 you never go back!! Video and camera is also better on the p3.
2015-5-26
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-24 23:19
l have both so l can give you a list of my experiences, pros and cons, though your preferences may n ...

WOW nice recap CapitAn
2015-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules