Spin and Crash
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans39dee99c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 385161 ft
United States

Our DJI Inspire 1 crashed with no controller input and the Battery almost full. We have analyzed the logs and cannot find any problems. While this drone is not under warranty anymore, it cannot fall out of the sky after the warranty period. Performing professional services with the drone we have thus grounded all of our DJI products for analysis. DJI support wants to charge us for sending the drone in and analysis since it is not under warranty. Curious how they expect us to "trust" the hardware after the 1 year warranty.
The log shows at 2 minutes and 32 seconds the Compass freaks out and starts spinning the drone until it falls out of the sky.

Compass Error

Compass Error

DJIFlightRecord_2018-07-04_(20-52-16).zip

61.58 KB, Down times: 2

FlightRecord

2018-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we are very sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. If ever that you'll be needing to send it in, our team could be figured it out for what happened to your aircraft, however, it seems like the drone is out of warranty and I'm afraid that there will be charges for the repair. Thanks for understanding.
2018-8-1
Use props
fans39dee99c
lvl.2
United States

Again, be warned. After the 1 year warranty is up. The DJI comment above shows that your drone that costs thousands of dollars could just fall out of the sky and even if it is DJI's fault, you have to pay.
2018-8-2
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
Singapore

fans39dee99c Posted at 2018-8-2 05:18
Again, be warned. After the 1 year warranty is up. The DJI comment above shows that your drone that costs thousands of dollars could just fall out of the sky and even if it is DJI's fault, you have to pay.

Not sure what is the issue here. That's how all warranties work. After the warranty period is over, if it breaks, you have to pay to get it repaired. If it is still under warranty, the company takes care of it. You were expecting lifetime warranty on your drone after the warranty period?

Warranty on new cars, new planes, new refrigerators, etc... all work the same way, no? Can you name me a company that provides free warranty services on their products after the warranty period is over???

If you don't like it, buy extended warranty on it and purchase insurance on your drone. Most people do just that. Just saying...
2018-8-2
Use props
fans39dee99c
lvl.2
United States

Agreed. I am not worried about the money and yes, insurance covers the issue. I am worried about the safety of not being able to trust the drone after 1 year.
2018-8-2
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Just out of curiosity, do you have pictures of the crashed drone?
2018-8-2
Use props
Mrothart
lvl.3
United States

This reminds me of what happened to our Inspire 1 Pro. Same scenario and was told the same thing from DJI. I asked them if a repair was not possible, then do not replace it and send back the crashed unit, so I could view the .DAT files myself and see what happened. They said no problem. Instead, they send me back a Inspire 1 (they sent me a V1 when we had a V2) and even peeled the serial number sticker off the crashed unit and put it on the refurbished unit. I get sending refurbished units is a common practice, but it seems deceitful to me. Especially when confronted about sending a different drone, they denied it and said it was the same drone and to verify by the serial number sticker.

Anyway, what happened was they told me AFTER they received the drone that they actually can not do an analysis on their end because it is out of warranty and I still have no idea what happened to our drone. I even asked to pay for an analysis. I wanted to know if there were preventative measures that could have been taken so it never happens again. It just fell from the sky with no user input and full battery.

I'm curious to hear what happens. Good luck.
2018-8-3
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to read that
2018-8-6
Use props
Gabriel_swe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 601263 ft
Sweden

I have a theory and it is the opposite. Drone start spinning and that makes the compass read heavy spinning. Drone start to spin because a propeller or motor failure. This show a Spark with 3.5 propellers. It can barely stay in air while spinning.
2018-8-11
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans39dee99c Posted at 2018-8-2 08:01
Agreed. I am not worried about the money and yes, insurance covers the issue. I am worried about the safety of not being able to trust the drone after 1 year.

I am worried about the safety of not being able to trust the drone after 1 year.
This is why there are laws about where you can fly and what you can fly over. Things break, Welcome to the real world. When things break out of warranty, Its no ones problem but yours. How long have you been flying a Drone/ RC vehicle if you are that surprised it crashed. Measures are taken but no company can guarantee a crash free product. I am sure we can have a never ending post if polled to contribute to what can go wrong.  
2019-7-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2019-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now