Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yellow Zone showing as red restricted zone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

I’m trying to take off in a class G airspace, within 4 NM of an airport- with permission. There is a TRR starting tomorrow NEAR where I need to fly (the TFR cut out around my airport. I unlocked the yellow zone so I can do my flight (on the DJI GO map, it shows yellow) BUT the status bar in the upper left corner of app is in RED and says no-fly zone.

I’m not in a restricted zone and I’m not within a TFR. I should be able to simply use the unlock feature. What do I do now?

2018-8-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'm not familiar with the acronym TRR.  Is that a typo?

Can you give us the name of the airport and the location you're trying to fly from?  

DJI's geo zones are circles.  They are always circles.  So if they have circled the area that is a TFR and there is a cut out near the airport, chances are DJI will consider that cut out area a no-fly even if it's not a restricted zone / TFR.  This is one of the common problems with the DJI geo zones - sometimes they don't match up with FAA zones.  Another common problem is DJI tends to establish no-fly zones in advance of the actual TFR.  In this case, the TFR is roughly 24 hours away, and yet DJI's geo system won't let you fly today.  

I think you would have to request a custom unlock from DJI and include the documentation you have that shows you are cleared to fly in that area.

www.skyvector.com

Good luck

2018-8-1
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-1 15:13
I'm not familiar with the acronym TRR.  Is that a typo?

Can you give us the name of the airport and the location you're trying to fly from?  

Yes, TRR is a typo- should be TFR.
The airport is KDYL. I’m constructing DJI an email. I read through a long thread about this that you and a few others were a part of.... I am in a yellow inside of a yellow
2018-8-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I don't think you're supposed to email them these days.  I believe you're supposed to request a custom unlock via this site:  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock

Good luck
2018-8-1
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your input, I appreciate the help. Have you ever requested a Custom Unlock? I'm wondering if I can just write a .pdf and have the airport manager sign it.

"2. Include authorization documents indicating the area your team is authorized to fly in and by whom. Documentation may differ depending on the type of the restricted zone:
2.1 Airport: authorization or permit from the airport or the aviation authority"
2018-8-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

fansbb14b570 Posted at 2018-8-2 05:42
Thanks for your input, I appreciate the help. Have you ever requested a Custom Unlock? I'm wondering if I can just write a .pdf and have the airport manager sign it.

"2. Include authorization documents indicating the area your team is authorized to fly in and by whom. Documentation may differ depending on the type of the restricted zone:

No, I have not.

The irony is, you don't need permission to fly, now that I think about it.  Re the airport, if you're 101, you just need to notify and if you're 107, it's Class G airspace so you don't need clearance.  Re the TFR, there's no TFR until later this evening, and even then, you're not flying in it anyway.  

So, I guess you need to somehow convince them that they have restricted your flight in an area where you are already perfectly authorized to fly due to the starting time of the TFR and also due to the cut-out of the TFR.   I'm sure it's frustrating.  But you should focus on the TFR because that's where the problem lies.  The airport has nothing to do with DJI's restriction, other than your need to self-unlock the yellow zone of that airport which is normally a piece of cake.  

Please report back here and tell us how it works out.  

Good luck.

2018-8-2
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-2 06:03
No, I have not.

The irony is, you don't need permission to fly, now that I think about it.  Re the airport, if you're 101, you just need to notify and if you're 107, it's Class G airspace so you don't need clearance.  Re the TFR, there's no TFR until later this evening, and even then, you're not flying in it anyway.  

Yeah, it's def not an FAA problem, it's the app's restrictions. I did self-unlock but it didn't solve the issue. I'll keep posted.
2018-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the trouble cause. I highly suggest sending an email to flysafe@dji.com since they are the best team to answer your queries.
2018-8-2
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

The yellow circle within a mile or 2 of the A/P is a hard NFZ

Your drone should not even start up inside that zone, and if you're flying outside that zone, and try to fly into it.....your AC will simply stop forward movement.

Randy
2018-8-2
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

So I spent a couple more minutes on this........Google Earth and SkyVector.....

Your HOME POINT "Appears to be" on runway 23.  You are within a few hundred ft of the runway......That's why you can't take off, and if you did, YOU are violating FAA Flight rules whether hobbyist or 107!!

Randy
2018-8-15
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-8-15 11:58
So I spent a couple more minutes on this........Google Earth and SkyVector.....

Your HOME POINT "Appears to be" on runway 23.  You are within a few hundred ft of the runway......That's why you can't take off, and if you did, YOU are violating FAA Flight rules whether hobbyist or 107!!

Randy, where do you find this in the Regs?
2018-8-15
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Okay, so problem solved! I wrote directly to DJI and they set up a custom unlock for a year. This will be interesting, considering I live in the NE and there are small class G airports everywhere!
2018-8-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibr ... /AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf

Your A/P must have changed, as it is surrounded by a solid Magenta line = Class C airspace......  https://skyvector.com/    search  KDYL for your sectional chart.
Class C Airspace: On your sectional, horizontal Class C limits are shown by solid magenta lines. It is similar in layout to Class B but in magenta not blue.

I can't put my fingers on what you asked for.....at the moment.  But really,  if you are flying at or near the end of a runway to any airport......you shouldn't be.

Randy
2018-8-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Another bit of info you need.......TFR

Issue Date :        August 15, 2018 at 1658 UTC
Beginning Date and Time :        August 17, 2018 at 1915 UTC
Ending Date and Time :        August 19, 2018 at 2030 UTC
Reason for NOTAM :        Temporary flight restrictions for VIP Movement
Type :        VIP

OH and your A/P is inside a solid Magenta Line as shown on Sky Vector........This is a great exercise for me....brushing up on airspace and such

Randy
2018-8-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

rwynant - This was figured out two weeks ago.  DJI was not allowing the OP to launch due to the VIP TFR, but DJI's no-fly zone did not take into account the cut out for Doylestown.  This was explained in post #2 & post #6.  So the OP was legal to fly where he wanted to fly.  He only had to request a custom authorization from DJI which he apparently got.

The solid magenta line you're referring to is the border of the mode c veil for Philly.  It has to do with transponder-altitude requirements prior to entering a 30 NM radius of any Class B airport.  It has nothing to do with Class C and it has nothing to do with drones - at least not yet.  

Hope this helps.
2018-8-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

I would think CL C does have plenty to do with RC Flying of any kind.  SFC to 4000ft msl      Keeping in mind this CL C airspace is surrounding KPHL

Class C Airspace. Class C Airspace is generally that airspace from the surface to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower, are serviced by a radar approach control, and have a certain number of IFR operations or passenger enplanements.
2018-8-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Sir - please read the second paragraph of my post again.  
2018-8-16
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Rwynant_V1 - I know you’re trying to show off what you know (don’t know) about airspace but I’m laughing over here!!! I’m a 5000 corporate helicopter pilot who has flown in this area for 10 years, EMS included. I know my airspaces well, but you need to study up. DYL is class G. Period. PHL is B. End of story. I’m well aware of the bedminster TFR as I have to fly in and out of it almost daily, filing flight plans with the FAA and all.
Not just a hobby for me, this is my daily life/career, working these airspaces.
As far as the drone goes, the problem was a DJI app control issue. They custom unlocked the area for me and problem solved!
2018-8-16
Use props
fansbb14b570
lvl.1
United States

Mark the droner is so patient! He knows what he’s talking about.
2018-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules