RTH Altitude
5765 15 2015-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

In the Pilot App under general settings I have chosen Imperial units (feet, inches). When I enter MC setting -> Advanced settings -> Failsafe mode there are no units displayed for the RTH altitude field. There is a static label showing the allowable range (20-500m). If I enter 250 into the field, is it 250 feet (what I want) or is it 250 meters?
2015-5-24
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

I believe it's in meters.
2015-5-24
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Update:  well, you're right.  I set the user prefs to Imperial (feet, in.) and I set the RTH altitude to 250.  I did a trial RTH while the quad was 160 ft altitude and 200 ft away.  It started heading towards the home point while ascending well past 250 feet.  Ok, so the RTH (and probably max altitude) setting is in meters regardless of the Imperial/Metric setting.  What I did not like is that the P3 started moving horizontally towards the home point and ascending to the RTH altitude simultaneously.  I would rather it (just like the P2V+) first ascend to the RTH altitude and THEN start moving horizontally towards the home point.

Update:  actually watching my video playback from the trial RTH....  it looks like it actually did turn towards the home point, then ascend only past the 250 foot altitude.  I just thought it was moving towards home while ascending, but I think now it does like the P2 did - ascend first then go towards the home point.  In any case, it still looks like the value for RTH altitude is in meters.  And - I really do not like playing around with RTH - I'd rather have control, watch my battery, keep my eye on the P3 and fly it like a pilot!
2015-5-24
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Cool, I'm glad you were able to figure it out, also thanks for the info.
2015-5-27
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Ok, since the release today of v1.1.2 of the IOS Pilot app, I spent a bit of time running the simulator and have learned some interesting things:
1.  the app now remembers the values input for RTH altitude and MAX flight altitude and restores them to the settings fields correctly between sessions.
2.  these values are input as meters regardless of how you have the imperial/metric setting
3.  although this is in the manual, I believe there are several crashes being caused in the user community by misunderstanding the fact that IF THE QUAD SWITCHES TO RTH MODE IT WILL DO ONE OF TWO THINGS.  IT WILL IMMEDIATELY DESCEND AND LAND WHERE IT IS OR IT WILL MOVE VERTICALLY TO THE RTH ALTITUDE, THEN TRANSLATE TO A POINT AT THE RTH ALTITUDE ABOVE THE SAVED HOME POINT AND THEN DESCEND AND LAND.  The absolute factor that decides between these two scenarios is the horizontal distance between the saved home point and the point below (or above) the P3.  This horizontal distance is 20 meters which is 65 feet and altitude doesn't matter.  If the P3 is 64 feet away from the home point (regardless of altitude), and it enters RTH mode, IT WILL DESCEND AND LAND RIGHT WHERE IT IS.  If it is 66 feet from the home point when it enters RTH mode it will go to the RTH altitude, move horizontally to the home point and then land.
One More Time:  <65 feet RTH lands where it is,   >65 feet it goes home.  Know it.  Learn it. Be it.
2015-5-27
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-28 12:39
Ok, since the release today of v1.1.2 of the IOS Pilot app, I spent a bit of time running the simula ...

Well that's a no good scenario.   Especially if you're flying in an area with water or trees.  Immediate landing if 30 ft off shore creates a BIG issue if you happen to lose connection for some reason!!!
2015-5-30
Use props
jaapotto
lvl.2

Netherlands

Ok, since the release today of v1.1.2 of the IOS Pilot app, I spent a bit of time running the simula ...

Very interesting and good to know. One question:

" ..... >65 feet it goes home."

Does that mean it will move 1 feet to get into the <65 area and then land immidiatly or will it move to the exact home point so the distance = 0 feet ?
2015-5-30
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

Holy crap, this is huge. The sort of huge that should be made VERY clear to all users. I only use RTH if I become unsighted, or to demo, but if there was a Tx issue within 65 feet and I'm flying over the sea like I do a lot, I'd be boned.

Can any DJI folk reading this please provide clarity/ reassurance on this matter?
2015-5-30
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Tony - Jaapotto -
You simply must investigate the flight simulator in the Pilot app.  It will show you exactly what I am saying.  Wherever you are flying (water, etc) make sure that you are not flying int a bad landing area that is close to the home or take-off point.  You should take off and then fly a distance to where you will be videoing - that minimum distance is 65 feet.  Turn on the volume on your tablet when you do the simulator - it will say "Landing" and immediately descend if you enter RTH with less than 65 feet from home-to-craft, and it will say "Returning To Home" if it is greater than 65 feet, in which case it will perform the programmed RTH.
2015-5-30
Use props
jaapotto
lvl.2

Netherlands

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-31 14:00
Tony - Jaapotto -
You simply must investigate the flight simulator in the Pilot app.  It will show y ...

Thanks for your reply.
But since im Andriod I have no flight simulator and even better since im on Andriod app version 1.1.0....I dont have spoken warning sounds anymore either.....

I have not used, nor am I planning to use the RTH function. I just want to know what to expect when it triggers it self or when im in a situation I have to use it.
2015-5-31
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

jaapotto Posted at 2015-5-31 16:33
Thanks for your reply.
But since im Andriod I have no flight simulator and even better since im o ...

Why on earth does it land where it is when it is less than 65 feet away? Has this been confirmed during actual flight? I mean, if I'm filming a fountain, I don't want to have to stand >65 feet away and half guess whether or not the lens is likely to get splashed.
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

To answer:  yes it has been confirmed both with a P3 in actual flight and in the simulator.  But - here's another very important thing - if your P3 goes into RTH (this is in the manual) YOU CAN STILL CONTROL IT.   If it is less than 65 feet from the home point and goes into RTH in which case it will start descending, AND YOU ARE WHERE YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING, you can still use the pitch and roll control to make it move to a better place.  You can even use the throttle at this time, though, I' don't know if throttle-up in this case will just hold altitude or actually make the P3 ascend.  Anyway, the simulator lets you practice this and you can do this during a true P3 flight session.  Another thing is that SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN that makes the P3 enter RTH, right?  Something like low battery or REALLY low battery.  If you are doing things over bad landing areas, just don't do it with marginal battery power - or be at the ready if it goes into RTH.  Same thing goes for flying under things like trees - don't do it with low batteries.
2015-6-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-3 13:51
To answer:  yes it has been confirmed both with a P3 in actual flight and in the simulator.  But - h ...

I can confirm.  I have a big yard have pressed RTH within the 65 meter area.  She  lands right there.  I am a little puzzled but. ....
2015-6-3
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

Tis true.

I remember hitting RTH when it was near expecting it to come to me first and it started going straight down toward a canal.

Didn't know why at the time but was quick to disengage. Thanks for the undocumented feature DJI.
2015-6-3
Use props
SeanSchick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24852 ft
United States

New P3 owner here and did my first test flights yesterday.  I remember the app pretty clearly told me that if it was within that circle it would land immediately vs. returning to the exact spot. I remembered as it stood out I need to be in a pretty clear spot when setting the Home location.
2015-6-3
Use props
F-4 Phantom guy
lvl.1

United States

SeanSchick Posted at 2015-6-4 09:12
New P3 owner here and did my first test flights yesterday.  I remember the app pretty clearly told m ...

New DJI owner here. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Good information.
2015-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules