Why HDMI?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sofagbem
lvl.2

United States

I see a lot of clamoring for an HDMI output on the Phantom 3, what exactly will it offer?

2015-5-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I guess some people would like to connect video goggles to the controller so they can see better in sunlight.

However...  Using FPV goggles has several drawbacks.

1. You can't see the touchscreen or your finger position with FPV goggles on... So you cannot use the touchscreen unless you remove the FPV goggles.

2. The Lightbridge sometimes has a significant DELAY.  Especially when the P3 gets far from the controller.  It's easy to fly right into a tree or building when the video is lagging 2-5 seconds ing your FPV goggles.

3. It's technically against the law in the USA.  The new FAA guidelines say the operator must maintain positive visual sight of the drone while in operation.  Wearing FPV goggles removes your ability to maintain eye contact with the drone.
2015-5-24
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Its not just for FPV goggles. Its great for use with a second monitor or tablet which is nice. Im often with my wife and it would be nice if she could watch what I was seeing rather then wondering where the bird is lol.
2015-5-24
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-25 01:14
I guess some people would like to connect video goggles to the controller so they can see better in  ...

Ive heard really good things about these because they are low profile and its said you can easily look above the rim (like reading glasses) so you can gain line of sight. I can't wait till the P3Pro supports them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390981599784?lpid=82&chn=ps
2015-5-24
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-25 06:38
Ive heard really good things about these because they are low profile and its said you can easily l ...

Several months ago I went to "...an FPV meet..."

There were a few planes there, but 95% of everything there flying was quads - a few tri-copters and several octo-copters. Virtually everyone was equipped for FPV - hence the FPV "meet," which was sponsored by a company named, appropriately, GetFPV.

The great majority of the guys were wearing FatShark goggles. There isn't any "...looking over the top..." on those things. You are "immersed." One guy looked like something form the 19th century. Here's 21st century technology (FPV and quads running on 2.4 GHz spread-spectrum) with a guy dressed like an old-time photographer, i.e., a black hood draped over himself and the rest of his ground station.

He and the guys wearing goggles were immersed and there was probably no glare. But they were also isolated. A fire could have started a few feet from them and no one would have noticed!

One of our unsung jobs is to convince the public that we're not nasty, evil people who are only intent on annoying or spying on them. Immersed in goggles it would seem quite difficult to interact with the questioning public.

Go away kid, These are not toys! How to win friends and influence people!
2015-5-24
Use props
sofagbem
lvl.2

United States

I guess if you want to connect to a big monitor, then HDMI makes sense, but such a set up will not be portable.
2015-5-24
Use props
brewsky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 866184 ft
United States

FPV Goggles.  'Nuff said
2015-5-24
Use props
brewsky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 866184 ft
United States

FPV Goggles.  'Nuff said
2015-5-24
Use props
Dataway
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17152 ft
United States

I take my UAV to local schools to help educate students about the technology and I use HDMI out to a projector that then outputs the video stream to a 200 inch screen that all the kids can see and experience the view from the P3P and the students love it....I am also going to try using the new Live View feature through youtube next week at my presentation to  a local elementary school and see how that works, hopefully that will be an alternate way of accomplishing my goal...

2015-5-25
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

You CAN have HDMI right NOW.  

Just get an NVIDIA Shield 8 and it has HDMI out.  You can plugin an external monitor or FPV right into the tablet and you get 1080 HDMI.
2015-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules