Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Legal issues for UAV flying in Taipei
12177 26 2015-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Hi you all!

This is my first post, but I've been reading a lot here, and I've learned a tremendous amount by just keeping quiet in the corner ;)
First of all, therefore, thanks to you all for all the helpful info! This (my P3A) is really a terrific product, and I've been having loads of fun with it.
The reason I'm writing this is a sort of follow-up to a non existing angry rant I would have liked to write on saturday. If you're wondering, I couldn't write that one, because I didn't get my forum activation code until today. Basically, while flying in Taipei, TW, I was agressively comfronted by an uninformed security guard on behalf on another person, and I would like to tell what I've found out since then about using UAVs in Taiwan.

So basically, I'm a foreigner living in Taipei. In the city center there is this massive open expanse dedicated to Sun Yat Sen, basically the guy that founded modern China. This space is well known in Taipei for kite flying. You must know that these are not normal kites, but massive things with all kinds of lights and electrical displays on them. It also has a beautiful view of the Taipei 101, and the park and memorial hall are also quite pretty. Since I live nearby, I thought, this is the perfect place to test my new machine.
Because of work, I'd been flying late at night five or six times (after 10 p.m.), but last saturday, finally, I had a free morning! I had a very narrow window, though, due to rain forecast, I could only fly between 6 and 8 a.m.. So there I was, at 7 a.m., the place was almost empty, as I'd like it to avoid any drone-to-person combat. I start flying, and within 10 minutes or so, a security guard comes around and starts yelling at me to stop flying. Luckily, there was a very nice Taiwanese family there, who were asking me about the P3A, and who kindly helped me discuss things with the guy (although I do speak Chinese, angry shouting listening comprehension is not within the sylabus of my language classes). At that point, these couple comes around and again starts aggresively telling me that I should not fly there, since it would be a safety hazard. I remain curteous, but when I point out that the place is often used for kite flying, the response I get is that "while in this country, you will abide this country's laws". I told him that, to the best of my knowledge, I was doing precisely that, which was answered with a mention to the recent incident in Australia. At that point the drone landed (I had pressed RTH as soon as the security guard came to me), and I decided to repeat my intention of flying as safely as possible, and excused myself out of the park.
Once at home, I called the Taiwanese Civil Aeronautics Administration (http://www.caa.gov.tw/en/bbs/index01.asp?sno=20), which very nicely informed me that indeed, I was very much allowed to fly at the Sun Yat Sen memorial hall, albeit with certain restrictions.

1. Line of Sight.
2. Not higher than 60 meters (due to the proximity of the city airport).
3. Flying AND filming over hidden fortifications, the presidential house, and the Chiang Kai Check Memorial Hall will be fined, and even can be penalized with jail!!!!

Point two is especially important, because the limited height flight zone covers most of taipei, and is much wider than the one coded into the P3 by dji! Number three is also critical, since, even though cross-straight relations are much more cordial these days, the Taiwanese government still considers Taipei to be a primary target for mainland attack, and therefore has quite a lot of military emplacements in the mountains surrounding the city.

Finally, the guys at the Aeronautics administration sent me a couple of useful links and documents:

http://web-gis2000.caa.gov.tw/ca ... 9/TaipeiObject.aspx

In this address you can check height limits and no fly zones all over taiwan. Very useful indeed!

They also sent me the attached document, where, if you know Chinese, you can read that kites and UAVs (UASs in the document) are within the same category of hobby devices, and that they can be used under the same conditions. It also explicitly names the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall as an area where these devices can be used. You can rest assured that my P3 backpack now carries a copy of that document at all times!

Ok, so that's that. I do hope that this rant might be useful to other guys flying around in Taiwan, and that everyone has as much fun as I'm having with the P3.

flightregulations_taipei.pdf

148.84 KB, Down times: 265

2015-5-24
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Thanks, for the info.   I am an American living in the city of Kaohsiung.  I have a P2v+ and I have been very cautious about flying here.   I have not run into any issues yet, but I expect I need to know my exact limitations by law.  So, again ---  thanks for sharing.    How are you liking your P3?  I plan to buy one in August.
2015-5-24
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-5-25 09:50
Thanks, for the info.   I am an American living in the city of Kaohsiung.  I have a P2v+ and I have  ...

Hi Bobcat!

Now, considering that I'm a complete noob, i.e. this is my first big quadcopter, I'm loving it! It's very stable, and extremely easy to use, much more so than the small ones I've had over the years. The camera, well, it's a point and shoot, both for film, and for stills. But I'm not complaining, pictures look beautiful, and the video is really crisp.
If there is a point where I have a minor gripe is with both manual, and auto still photography at night. In auto mode, the app tends to prefer increasing iso levels, rather than exposure times, and if you're not careful, you can get really grainy pictures. In manual mode, the exposure indicator refers to the live-feed (i.e. whatever lightbridge is sending you), and not to the actual picture you're taking. Thus I've had several night pictures where the EV said -1.7, but when I took a look at them, they were completely white. The histogram is your friend there.
Also, for night photography, it'd be fantastic if you could map turning off the red lights on the front arms to one of those customizable buttons. With the 60 m limit in the city, there's been many times where I've had to rais the camera above the level positions, and then you get a lot of light from the LEDs. Turning them off is possible, but it involves going into the settings and searching for a while... I just don't feel comfortable taking my eyes off the bird, and not having any FPV in the process.
Hope this helps!
2015-5-24
Use props
jettana
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113258 ft
  • >>>
Laos

Hi Rincewind,

I am planning to Taiwan soon October 2016. Are there any update about the laws for flying the drone right now ?
2016-10-2
Use props
stormswa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12854 ft
Australia

Hi Rincewind.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on drone flying in Taipei.

I am planning on purchasing a DJI Mavric Pro and taking it on a trip there in April 2017, maybe even the January 2017 one.

It's so hard, you are trying to respect the country you are visiting and it's laws and do all your background research and still find yourself in a difficult situation.

Anyway thank you again

Keith
2016-10-8
Use props
fans87ee00b8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

Good information.  I am going back to Taiwan this month with the Inspire.  Also, I hope to find a DJI Mavic in stock there.  
2016-11-10
Use props
Alister FiEND
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

good luck finding a mavic haha, I read they are still 6-8 weeks behind

Im going to Vietnam for December then Taiwan and Philippines for jan.. not bringing the p3p, its too big to haul around.  good to know the story though.  

2016-11-10
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

stormswa Posted at 2016-10-9 13:55
Hi Rincewind.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on drone flying in Taipei.

Hi Stormswa!

Sorry, I've been away from these forums for a long time. Just got back. So, ok, couple of things.
1. The law has changed a bit, becoming even more chaotic. Now, instead of having a global framework for all of Taiwan, every local government has to decide if they allow flying or not, at all. If they do allow flying, it is as stated above, and that aeronautics page is still good for checking.
2. National parks have a pre-rogative to decide if they allow flying at all. For example, Yang-Min Shan (which is right next to Taipei, and therefore would be a prime location for flying) does not. However, Ali-Shan, at least during summer 2016, did allow to fly. Also, one thing where I was a bit annoyed is that the park ranger at Yang-Min San mostly do not wear any kind of uniform, which means that, if you fly there, some random guy will approach you to lecture you about flying.
3. Good luck with purchasing a mavic! I've been on a waiting list for 1.5 months now!

2016-12-18
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Taiwan

Alister FiEND Posted at 2016-11-11 01:32
good luck finding a mavic haha, I read they are still 6-8 weeks behind

Im going to Vietnam for December then Taiwan and Philippines for jan.. not bringing the p3p, its too big to haul around.  good to know the story though.

Hey!  Did you go to Vietnam yet?  I've been thinking about going this week.  I've been in Taipei for weeks now...time for a new location.  Maybe we can link up for some drone activity.  I'm on Instagram/LINE as JBlongz.
2016-12-19
Use props
Alister FiEND
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

MediaElite Posted at 2016-12-19 20:00
Hey!  Did you go to Vietnam yet?  I've been thinking about going this week.  I've been in Taipei for weeks now...time for a new location.  Maybe we can link up for some drone activity.  I'm on Instagram/LINE as JBlongz.

Yah i was in vietnam nov 23 to dec 24.  I saw a drone user in SaPa hang his drone up in a spruce tree.  Not sure how they got it down, it was upside down about 25 feet up lol.  Next morning it was gone though.  I went to Taiwan after that then Philippines and back in canada now. Didnt have much time to check this site or i would have met ya.  hope you had a good trip
2017-2-1
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Good links.

I have a friend coming and want to take him to National Palace Museum.  Was not planning on bringing my drone as would need to carry it around all day as we visit other places.

I live in Alishan and have done a few video's from my home area.
2017-2-2
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
United States

I successfully flew the DJI Mavic in New Taipei City, some Taipei City mountains, Taichung, Taoyuan,  Kenting, and Kaohsiung.   I just choose locations away from crowds. Fly safe and stay sharp.
2017-3-24
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

MediaElite Posted at 2017-3-24 04:02
I successfully flew the DJI Mavic in New Taipei City, some Taipei City mountains, Taichung, Taoyuan,  Kenting, and Kaohsiung.   I just choose locations away from crowds. Fly safe and stay sharp.

I believe you posted a video on some FB forums?  If not you then this guy was flying way above the legal 60m height restriction above ground level in Taipei. It's also illegal to fly near Taipei 101 now because some idiot crashed into it and his drone nearly hit someone when it fell. They banned drones in one tourist area Sun Moon Lake as some idiot decided to do low level flying and crashed at speed and knocked a woman out. Don't need to have flying prviliges revoked in more areas because people just fly around ignoring the law.

2017-3-24
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
United States

Thats's definitely not me.  I haven't published any of my footage yet.  Unfortunately, you can't control the ignorant people without educating or stalking them.
2017-3-26
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327644 ft
Singapore

it seems like some new rules has came up to straighten the drone rules.

if ur drone 1KG above u need a license and approval and a license to take off.
2017-5-10
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

KenTbk Posted at 2017-5-10 19:46
it seems like some new rules has came up to straighten the drone rules.

if ur drone 1KG above u need a license and approval and a license to take off.

Proposed rules not enacted law yet? I had better go check anyways.
2017-5-10
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

MediaElite Posted at 2017-3-26 14:46
Thats's definitely not me.  I haven't published any of my footage yet.  Unfortunately, you can't control the ignorant people without educating or stalking them.

Look forward to seeing your footage.  I live up in Alishan and rarely get to coastal or other areas.

Mostly I fly up in the mountains where I live.

You tube dstvasia you can see my video's on there.
2017-5-10
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-5-10 22:23
Proposed rules not enacted law yet? I had better go check anyways.

yea, is best you check again. the drone rules is keep changing now days.
2017-5-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

KenTbk Posted at 2017-5-15 00:44
yea, is best you check again. the drone rules is keep changing now days.

Well no new laws enacted.  There are some local areas like Sun Moon Lake where you cannot fly as well as other declared areas but nothing new.  Free to fly as a bird.
2017-5-15
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Singapore

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-5-15 01:39
Well no new laws enacted.  There are some local areas like Sun Moon Lake where you cannot fly as well as other declared areas but nothing new.  Free to fly as a bird.

Cool then, i think better hurry fly again.
i did fly on Taiwan on Jan this year. is not not bad experience will definitely go back again for fly my drone again.
2017-5-16
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

KenTbk Posted at 2017-5-16 01:21
Cool then, i think better hurry fly again.
i did fly on Taiwan on Jan this year. is not not bad experience will definitely go back again for fly my drone again.

Well there are rules that apply in cities.  60m max height anywhere in Taipei and you cannot fly in several areas of Taipei. There is an airport in the downtown part of the city as well as you cannot fly near Taipei 101 as some idiot crashed his drone into it and it barely missed pedestrians below when it crashed.

2017-5-16
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

How about flying at Tai Chung?
2017-8-4
Use props
Arcie
lvl.1
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-8-4 21:23

download AirMap, it is now International covered!
2017-11-13
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-8-4 21:23

In March 2017, I flew in Taichung, Dongshih District with no problem.
2018-2-2
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

MediaElite Posted at 2018-2-2 11:01
In March 2017, I flew in Taichung, Dongshih District with no problem.
[view_image]

Thanks so much. I had fun flying in Tai Chung too
2018-2-2
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Hi, I will be visiting Taiwan end of March for 9 days. Will visit Tai Chung, Alishan, Chiayi, Nantou, Hualien and definitely Taipei. Any restriction on all the places? Where can I obtain more information. Your help is very appreciated!!!
2018-2-20
Use props
PoppaJohn
New

I want to download the pdf file but rec a message saying `I don't have permission.  I googled it but didn't find it.  Can you advise on how I can have access to this?  I am buying a Mmavic air and plan to fly in Taipei.
2019-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules