Hard Crash - My Fault - Looking for Repair Advice/Help
2383 18 2015-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

Had a hard crash with my bird today. Entirely my fault. Got too close to a tree.

Camera is working. Small scratch on my ND filter lens. No biggie there, can use the other one get a replacement.

The real issue is that one entire side twisted a bit inward. I'm hoping it's something easy I can fix. But offhand I don't know how or where to begin. If anyone can advise me what to do or point me to a similar thread that'd be amazing.
2015-5-24
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

I'd post a pic, but I'm apparently Forum Illiterate. Not sure what address I'm supposed to put in. Apologies for my ignorance.
2015-5-24
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-5-25 08:52
I'd post a pic, but I'm apparently Forum Illiterate. Not sure what address I'm supposed to put in. A ...

Same thing happened to me once, just carefully twist the gear back out.  Either that or send it back in for a couple of months.  Lots of folks own two or more inspires, I think the right amount is three.  
2015-5-24
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

I would love to live in a world where I could own two or three Inspires. But getting just the one was a bit of a splurge. And I did go in knowing full well, despite it being a splurge, this type of thing could happen. Just hoping I can quick fix it on my own.

Tried give it a twist, but it wouldn't easily budge, and I was scared to force it and make things potentially worse.
2015-5-24
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

Finally figured out photos. Yay.
IMG_4104b.jpg
2015-5-24
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, i would consider myself lucky. It nothing is physically broken I would be quite happy. Looks like to a couple of nuts need to be loosened, then move the gear back to where it is supposed to be and re tighten. I m sure someone in here can offer more detailed info but I would definitely not send it back to DJI unless you want a 8 week vacation from your Inspire.
2015-5-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-5-25 09:14

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Houston.  The positioning of that bar, which directly affects the angle of the props on that side, is critical, since the angles of the props on each side must precisely match.  That's why those nuts are stickered with a warranty-voiding seal.  I would be concerned that if you reposition by eye and the aircraft crashes and is a total loss (even if for a totally unrelated reason) you would be on your own.  I hate to say it because I know the implications all too well, but I would send it in and NOT do that repair myself.
2015-5-25
Use props
Yapstrapper
lvl.2

United States

I'm split I'd have to agree with Houston for the most part, I don't think it would be hard to align close enough to the correct angle, mine has one motor that is at least couple of deg off, it was built that way and flys fine.  On the flip side if you sent it in they would be able to check it for further damage.  
2015-5-25
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

ok I am sitting waiting 4+ weeks (since being deliveried to door) now for bad gimbal (with no updates other then checked in).. and having seen DJI repair costs for out of warranty work (cheap compared to time lost).

I try fix it myself then send it in for repairs telling you knew there was a 8 week turn around for repairs door to door.

Otherwise you are out the summer for i1 and might as well pick up a P3 for time being.. (like me)
2015-5-26
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-5-25 09:14

This is SO EASY to repair BUT you will void your warranty..i have done it i will NEVER send my isnpire back to china!
http://blog.supasympa.com/2015/0 ... rdown-introduction/
2015-5-26
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

Same damage, same day, not my fault. i fixed it in 2 days. Just do it yourself and forget about china and warranty tapes. its ridiculously easy to do it. Also forget about angles. Just try to calibrate it a bit to obtain equal distances.it will work fine! i flew yesterday and I flew today perfectly.
2015-5-27
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

I wasflying 1klm away and 300 meters high when it suddenly lost signal andcommunication. . . . . .it never came back.. . . nightmare !!! i found it after 5 hours in the area on a bush.

inspire on bush

inspire on bush
2015-5-27
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

delas Posted at 2015-5-28 01:13
I wasflying 1klm away and 300 meters high when it suddenly lost signal andcommunication. . . . . .it ...

check the pictures below. remove tapes, unscrew all 9 screws, pull the arm, calibrate it. . . . you are done!

2015-5-27
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate the help I've gotten from not only this thread but others.

I did remove all screws and got it repositioned. But what worries me now is that it won't enter travel mode, and when the arms do move up and down they do some odd slow  wobble thing. I don't know if calibration would fix that, but I guess I can try. If that doesn't work I'll likely just send her on in and hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone!
2015-5-27
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

delas Posted at 2015-5-28 01:44
check the pictures below. remove tapes, unscrew all 9 screws, pull the arm, calibrate it. . . . you ...

What's a Loctite and how would I calibrate it. I do notice this piece is already slightly out compared to other side.
2015-5-27
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-5-28 04:32
What's a Loctite and how would I calibrate it. I do notice this piece is already slightly out comp ...

check out all my posts on how to fix this at :

http://blog.supasympa.com

As you have only twisted yours it who'll be a simple fix.
2015-5-27
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-5-28 05:21

Your blog looks informative. And to be fair I only glanced it so far because I don't have the time at the moment, but it seems a bit more technical than an unmechanical guy like me might be able to handle. Which sounds super lame because everyone here says it's an easy fix. LOL.

Adding another picture for reference. You can see how there's some separtion on already on the part the delas was saying I should pull out, but I can't get it to budge one way or the other in either direction.

IMG_4114b.jpg

Also my bird won't go in to Travel Mode. Video below... you can see the wobble I was talking about when the arms move...

http://youtu.be/UjD4QwP_rks
2015-5-27
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

JakeLikesStuff Posted at 2015-5-28 04:32
What's a Loctite and how would I calibrate it. I do notice this piece is already slightly out comp ...

loctite is a glue for screws, or a kind of. . . it needs some extra power to pull it out in order to turn the arm in the right position.
2015-5-28
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Greece

supasympa Posted at 2015-5-28 05:21

your blog is great. you have done beautiful job man. thank you for sharing.
2015-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules