Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vidjcb
First Officer
Flight distance : 13830814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi

I just wonder if the new surface go would be enough having 420 nits. One more caveat: So far there is no an app for PC. Just iOS and android.

That makes me ask you If want an app for PC. Maybe an universal Windows 10 app.

Have a safe flight!

2018-8-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

In bright sunlight and no screen shaders; 1,000 nits is barely enough.
2018-8-4
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Highest nit tablet is a Sam Tab S3  720 nits highest but about 600 with Go4, Ipad Pro 620 nits, and around 480 with Go4. Crystal Sky 1000

Most others are below 450 brightest scene, but with Go4 more around 300

Shades are best in bright sun. Some of the tablets are good enough to fly, but if using for photo or video detail, use a shield.
2018-8-4
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-8-4 20:04
Highest nit tablet is a Sam Tab S3  720 nits highest but about 600 with Go4, Ipad Pro 620 nits, and around 480 with Go4. Crystal Sky 1000

Most others are below 450 brightest scene, but with Go4 more around 300

Agree.  Bright sunlight makes most screens invisible, especially if you're wearing sunglasses, too!  A TabS3 or Mini4 will work fine with a good sunshade.  Make sure you find one that gives you the easiest access to the touch screen.  Do a search on this forum [Sun shield / Sun Screen] and on MavicPilots.com.   There are a number of conversations and recommendations.  

Here's a link to a table of tablets and phones.  There's a column on brightness (nits) that may be helpful to you.  (special thanks to @msinger phantom.help)

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... go-updated-daily.18
2018-8-5
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-8-5 04:42
Agree.  Bright sunlight makes most screens invisible, especially if you're wearing sunglasses, too!  A TabS3 or Mini4 will work fine with a good sunshade.  Make sure you find one that gives you the easiest access to the touch screen.  Do a search on this forum [Sun shield / Sun Screen] and on MavicPilots.com.   There are a number of conversations and recommendations.  

Here's a link to a table of tablets and phones.  There's a column on brightness (nits) that may be helpful to you.  (special thanks to @msinger phantom.help)

I'll have to send them some updated data

Are they doing the nits specs based on their own tests, or are they going on specs from other sites?

Nits with Go4 running tend to be a lot lower. The app itself is designed dark. Only the brightest areas can be measured. Video feed can vary that based on camera settings, but generally the app itself is not going to be a ton brighter on different devices. The readable data will though.

Device batteries also get chewed up faster when brightness is full. Sometimes it's not so bad to have a device that charges from the RC. I finish 4 batts worth at full brightness on the S3 or Note 8, and the device stays charged, but the RC gets down to about 55%. That is also when disabling fast charge mode in the devices. If fast mode is enabled, RC depletes just a tad more. 4 Batts with MP would take the RC to about 45%.

I can use the S3, Note 8, as a flashlight with full brightness and a white screen, but on Go4 it'll be darker. Mini4 is only 400 or so nits, but not bright with Go4 running on a mid day sun. Evening or Early morning hours, these are all usable. For daytime, really a CS is what you want.
2018-8-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

In bright direct sunlight far more nits than any on the market tablet can currently produce.  Hence Crystal Sky.   FWIW DJI have teamed up with MS to produce a windows app.
2018-8-5
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Smallest CrystalSky monitor has 1,000 nits and I can use it in full sunlight. I believe the largest CrystalSky has upwards of 2,000 nits.
2018-8-5
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-5 06:02
In bright direct sunlight far more nits than any on the market tablet can currently produce.  Hence Crystal Sky.   FWIW DJI have teamed up with MS to produce a windows app.

Not too aware of Win devices with a high level nits screen. OTOH a 17" laptop convertible screen would be cool.

Surface Pro 4 would work too. 440 nits or so. Not great but more area, better resolution
2018-8-5
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-8-5 05:59
I'll have to send them some updated data

Are they doing the nits specs based on their own tests, or are they going on specs from other sites?

msinger is a forum member on this site as well as MavicPilots.com (and others).  The table is from his website.  I can't speak for him (of course) but my understanding is the information is from the manufacturer's specs.  I highly doubt he is testing all those tens of dozens of phone/tabs with apps running.
2018-8-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

It's kind of diminishing returns thing I guess.... where you really start to see the difference is somewhere around 600 nits.... from 600 to 1000 difference is very noticeable and from 1000 to 2000.... dunno, does not look too dramatic of the improvement.
And than, not all the nits are born the same.... sometimes subjectively I feel like 580 nits device is brighter than 763 one.....

2018-8-5
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-8-5 19:35
msinger is a forum member on this site as well as MavicPilots.com (and others).  The table is from his website.  I can't speak for him (of course) but my understanding is the information is from the manufacturer's specs.  I highly doubt he is testing all those tens of dozens of phone/tabs with apps running.

Well, the way things are going with Go4 app for Android, they can pretty much start putting disclaimers on most devices under 4G ram and 2G cpu's.
2018-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules