Mavic Air with Garuda Airlines to Bali
2780 9 2018-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ingtorto83
lvl.1
Italy

Hi guys,

I am travelling to Bali, from Italy to Jakarta (China Southern Airlines) and from Jakarta to Bali (Garuda Indonesian Airlines).
I just got my new Mavic Air (Fly More Combo) and I really would like to bring it with me.

I read a lot of forum saying that it is possible to bring a Mavic Air to Bali, but I am a very concerned about the Garuda Indonesia website (link):

Prohibited Items
For safety and security reasons, these items listed below, shall not be carried in passenger's carry-on and checked baggage.
  • Small lithium battery-powered vehicles are strictly prohibited to be carried by passenger into the aircraft, either as Carry-On Baggage or Checked Baggage for all Garuda Indonesia flights. Examples: airwheel, solowheel, hoverboard, mini-segway, balance wheel, etc.

Does this mean I really cannot bring my drone both in carry-on and checked baggage??

2018-8-5
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I highly doubt it. They are referring to hoverboards etc. No mention of drones/UAV's.
2018-8-5
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

An airwheel is a one wheel scooter, not a drone also.
2018-8-5
Use props
ingtorto83
lvl.1
Italy

ops, sorry!  

..do you suggest to put the drone with the batteries in the carry-on buggage?
2018-8-5
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

According this site it is allowed to bring you bird on the plane.  The drone can be taken as carry on luggage or checked luggage. The batteries are only allowed in hand luggage. Lipo safetybags highly recommanded. Happy flying on Bali.

Dutch read, google is your friend
2018-8-5
Use props
ingtorto83
lvl.1
Italy

chiplifter Posted at 2018-8-5 01:35
According this site it is allowed to bring you bird on the plane.  The drone can be taken as carry on luggage or checked luggage. The batteries are only allowed in hand luggage. Lipo safetybags highly recommanded. Happy flying on Bali.

Dutch read, google is your friend

Thanks! Are Lipo safetybags available at the airport shops?
2018-8-5
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

ingtorto83 Posted at 2018-8-5 03:08

I don’t know. I bought mine online.
I have these (bought on another shop)
Safety bag
2018-8-5
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

If you have to put your drone in checked luggage, here is a tip to avoid damage.
Mavic pro
2018-8-5
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Netherlands

And don’t forget to check the local drone regulations.

Regulations
2018-8-5
Use props
moulinrouge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119065 ft
Indonesia

It's perfectly ok to bring your drone on Garuda. I am Indonesian and I have my share traveling around  carrying my drone with various local airlines. Carry it and the whole bunch of its accessories with you to the cabin, don't put it in your checked-in baggage.

If you are using pressurized hardcase box to carry your drone (like me), make sure it has a pressure control valve, and set it on open position. Look at this: It's very important that you check this pressure thing, or the box may fail to handle pressure or you will have trouble to open it.

One battery is attached to the drone, and I don't use special pouch for the spare batteries. Three batteries in all (on top of small power bank, laptop, and mobil phones). I carry a lot of batteries with me on the plane, and they are all ok. Just don't violate that 100WH battery rule.

Have a fun and safe trip.
-------

Now I have my own question to you... can I carry my drone from Jakarta to Rome, Italy?
I never carried my drone to Europe.  How can I pass the checking, please advise.

2018-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules