Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where to next for P4P owners (MP2 or Phantom 5)?
1707 20 2018-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D. Brent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I love my P4P+ . I't's a workhorse and shoots damn good quality video – as a photographer, the camera is my primary reason for purchasing the P4P over any of the current Mavic range.

Me, and many others have always wanted the Mavic size and portabilty with a camera having the very least capability of the P4P. Has it arrived with the Mavic Pro 2?

So, where to now? If you're in the same boat as me. Are you contemplating  purchasing the Mavic Pro 2, or wait for the Phantom 5 (which is rumoured to have interchangable lens )?

I'm very interested in your thoughts…
2018-8-5
Use props
JasonPictures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 289341 ft
Switzerland

As a professional photographer I am definitely in the same boat as you because for me the only thing that matters on a drone is the camera quality and the gimbal. A smaller and quieter drone is nice but not necessary. I am the proud owner of a P4P Obsidian and as a photographer a interchangable lens would be just amazing.
But for now I am totally satisfied with my P4P but when Im going to buy a new drone it will be the Phantom 5 or maybe the Phantom 5 Pro.

Have a nice flight!

2018-8-5
Use props
djiuser_rwujBJmuuMi4
Second Officer
Brazil

Phantom 5, and much probably the Pro (+)  version,  my P4P+ is still up to the job.
2018-8-5
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.3

Wait for the Phantom 5 !
I also heard about the interchangable lens and I think that the Phantom 5 will be much more better than the Mavic !
If you would buy a mavic and than the P5 gets released, you would be mad about your decision !
2018-8-5
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone? The purpose of a longer lens is to allow the photographer to either a) isolate a subject by zooming and narrowing a depth of field or b) zoom into a scene or subject where it might not normally be accessible - this isn't the case with a drone since you're easily able to fly closer to your subject. There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer. I can't think of a scenario where I've wanted or needed to zoom into a subject or scene and I haven't been able to fly my drone closer for a more detailed shot.

I'd take a larger sensor with more MP over an interchangeable lens any day of the week.
2018-8-6
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the luxury of taking a wait and see approach.  I will wait for several reviews and comparisons and make my decision from there.  
2018-8-6
Use props
D. Brent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-6 07:34
I have the luxury of taking a wait and see approach.  I will wait for several reviews and comparisons and make my decision from there.

I'm the same as you. I'm in no rush looking forward to seeing reviews and photos and videos from the Pro version.
2018-8-6
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gyrex Posted at 2018-8-6 06:54
Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone? The purpose of a longer lens is to allow the photographer to either a) isolate a subject by zooming and narrowing a depth of field or b) zoom into a scene or subject where it might not normally be accessible - this isn't the case with a drone since you're easily able to fly closer to your subject. There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer. I can't think of a scenario where I've wanted or needed to zoom into a subject or scene and I haven't been able to fly my drone closer for a more detailed shot.

I'd take a larger sensor with more MP over an interchangeable lens any day of the week.

Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone?
There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer.

But there's plenty of perspective distortion with a very wideangle lens.
Being able to use a different focal length would help a lot in many areas.

Some examples:
Shooting small fast moving subjects where you need to get in close to fill the frame and keeping the subject in frame is difficult.
Head-on shots of long subjects where the exaggerated perspective of the wideangle makes the front look too large and the back looks tiny.
Commercial drone users doing inspection work.

2018-8-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SAR would be another good reason for a zoom lens...
2018-8-6
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone? The purpose of a longer lens is to allow the photographer to either a) isolate a subject by zooming and narrowing a depth of field or b) zoom into a scene or subject where it might not normally be accessible - this isn't the case with a drone since you're easily able to fly closer to your subject. There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer. I can't think of a scenario where I've wanted or needed to zoom into a subject or scene and I haven't been able to fly my drone closer for a more detailed shot.

It'll make a ton of difference for videography. 50mm looks very different to 24mm, especially when the drone is moving at 50+kph.
2018-8-6
Use props
D. Brent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone? The purpose of a longer lens is to allow the photographer to either a) isolate a subject by zooming and narrowing a depth of field or b) zoom into a scene or subject where it might not normally be accessible - this isn't the case with a drone since you're easily able to fly closer to your subject. There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer. I can't think of a scenario where I've wanted or needed to zoom into a subject or scene and I haven't been able to fly my drone closer for a more detailed shot.

I can't dignify that question with a response. I'll allow others lol
2018-8-7
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-6 14:05
Why does anyone need an interchangeable lens on a drone?
There's no visible spatial distortion on the P4P lens as it is, so there's no need to go longer.
But there's plenty of perspective distortion with a very wideangle lens.

Please provide an example of the optical distortion you're claiming. The camera has a 24mm (35mm equivalent) lens. 24mm wouldn't be considered "very wide angle" by any photographer worth his/her salt. My Venus Optics 12mm  rectilinear lens would be considered "very wide angle".

Regarding your other points, these can be overcome by flying closer to the subject.
2018-8-8
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

dancopter Posted at 2018-8-6 22:10
It'll make a ton of difference for videography. 50mm looks very different to 24mm, especially when the drone is moving at 50+kph.

Maybe. Have you considered the amount of shake that will be introduced into your final product at 50mm?
2018-8-8
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

D. Brent Posted at 2018-8-7 01:45

Try. Responding with "lol" implies you're incapable of providing an intelligent response. No one else has provided a rational explanation of what benefit and/or application fixing longer glass to a drone will provide, above and beyond flying closer to a subject with your drone's fixed 24mm lens. Since the current lens is a rectilinear design with little to no distortion, can you please provide a benefit? If not, your "lol" responses belong in the trash.
2018-8-8
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gyrex Posted at 2018-8-8 09:11
Please provide an example of the optical distortion you're claiming. The camera has a 24mm (35mm equivalent) lens. 24mm wouldn't be considered "very wide angle" by any photographer worth his/her salt. My Venus Optics 12mm  rectilinear lens would be considered "very wide angle".

Regarding your other points, these can be overcome by flying closer to the subject.
Not everyone is shooting landscapes where every element in the photo is equally distant from the camera.
Any photographer worth his/her salt wouldn't exclusively shoot all their work with a 12mm super wide lens.
There aren't many portrait photographers using wide angle lenses as their main lens.They would want to have a range of focal lengths to be able to deal with a variety of subjects and photo styles.

Please provide an example of the optical distortion you're claiming.
I didn't claim any optical distortion.
I commented on the exaggerated perspective that's inherent in wide angle lenses.
The wider the FoV, the more exaggerated the perspective.
For some subjects, a wide angle lens is great and for some it isn't.

Try shooting a long subject like a train or a ship.
You could position the subject square across the frame and it would look long, thin, distant and dead.
Or you could go for a 3/4 view with the subject heading into the frame but if you get close, the front of the subject can look swollen and the back disappears in the distance.

Sometimes that's just not possible and it's going to increase the perspective problem.
Try shooting a small moving target and keeping it in the frame when you are close.

The lens on the P4 pro is great for many shots and I've created many stunning images with it.
But I'd like to have the option to use something less wide when that's appropriate.

2018-8-8
Use props
D. Brent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

gyrex Posted at 2018-8-8 09:19
Try. Responding with "lol" implies you're incapable of providing an intelligent response. No one else has provided a rational explanation of what benefit and/or application fixing longer glass to a drone will provide, above and beyond flying closer to a subject with your drone's fixed 24mm lens. Since the current lens is a rectilinear design with little to no distortion, can you please provide a benefit? If not, your "lol" responses belong in the trash.

lmaoooooooo
2018-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I reckon you just proved gyrex's point....
2018-8-8
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 761519 ft
Australia

D. Brent Posted at 2018-8-7 01:45

I also wanted to reply, then decided its best to leave it haha.   
2018-8-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As well as SAR, a zoom lens would also be good for nature such as animals and birds where you cannot get close,  or that moon shot, yeah, you can try flying close to the moon but im not quite sure it will make much difference
2018-8-8
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

gyrex Posted at 2018-8-8 09:13
Maybe. Have you considered the amount of shake that will be introduced into your final product at 50mm?

The Inspire works well with the 90mm equiv. (45mm on 4/3 sensor) lens.
2018-8-9
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-8-9 00:15
The Inspire works well with the 90mm equiv. (45mm on 4/3 sensor) lens.

Agree with this.  Several legit reasons for interchangeable lens.  Photographing wildlife being a huge one.
2018-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules