P4P plus Obsidian and follow me mode
2403 28 2018-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 243425 ft
Italy

I'm experiencing problems with my new Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian and the follow me mode. With GPS signal strong (the drone flies in the GPS mode with no problems more than 10 satellites and strong signal) the receiver warns me that the signal is weak so the drone can't follow the receiver signal to perform the follow me. The same happened to me with my Phantom 3 professional because the GPS receiver of my smartphone was disabled. When I enabled the GPS I solved the problem. How can I manage the problem witn my Phantom 4 pro Plus Obsidian having an integrated display? How can I enable the GPS on my receiver?
2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize if you are having issues with your devices. May we ask for the brand or make of the mobile device or tablet you are currently using? We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-6
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-6 04:37
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize if you are having issues with your devices. May we ask for the brand or make of the mobile device or tablet you are currently using? We're here to help you. Thank you.

On the Phantom 3 Professional I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge performing very well but with the Phantom 4 Pro Plus there's the built in screen so I do not need the smartphone of course...
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ligurobsidian Posted at 2018-8-6 05:31
On the Phantom 3 Professional I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge performing very well but with the Phantom 4 Pro Plus there's the built in screen so I do not need the smartphone of course...

Hi, when was the last time you update the firmware of your aircraft?

2018-8-6
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

I bought my Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian on May 16th 2018, then I updated the firmware few days later before the first flight, if it's necessary I can repeat the update...
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ligurobsidian Posted at 2018-8-6 08:08
I bought my Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian on May 16th 2018, then I updated the firmware few days later before the first flight, if it's necessary I can repeat the update...

Hi, yes please do. Make sure to power cycle or turn off the aircraft manually after every update. Thank you.
2018-8-6
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-6 11:28
Hi, yes please do. Make sure to power cycle or turn off the aircraft manually after every update. Thank you.

Is it necessary to restore the original factory configuration of the drone before to reinstall the updated firmware?
2018-8-6
Use props
Jim Redman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53688 ft

This is a good question.  I have the Phantom 4 Pro Plus and have never been able to get Follow Me to work.  I would love to know the answer myself.
2018-8-7
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

Jim Redman Posted at 2018-8-7 11:45
This is a good question.  I have the Phantom 4 Pro Plus and have never been able to get Follow Me to work.  I would love to know the answer myself.

Is seems to me all is ok... strong GPS signal on drone
2018-8-8
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

Strong GPS mobile device
2018-8-8
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

So why?
2018-8-8
Use props
Ligurobsidian
lvl.1
Italy

In my opinion there's a GPS receiver (how I turn on the receiver?) in the system as shown in photo
2018-8-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Well, I am fresh out of ideas, it does seem that the display device does have a strong signal.
2018-8-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ligurobsidian Posted at 2018-8-8 13:11
In my opinion there's a GPS receiver (how I turn on the receiver?) in the system as shown in photo[view_image]

Obviously one of those GPS signal messages is not right.
With the non+ versions, DJI's message weak GPS signal means no GPS signal.
Are you able to confirm that the GPS receiver is enabled in the display's Location Services?
Are you able to install an app called GPS Status to get a display that will show what your display GPS receiver is actually doing?

If all else fails, try using active track for a better experience than follow-me gives anyway.
2018-8-8
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

IMG_0962.JPG To get "follow me" mode to work with the Phantom 4+ you need to connect your moble phone to the controller via Wi-Fi. From the controller home screen click the "gear" icon, then select "system settings" and then "Wi-Fi". Make sure the slider is "On". Keep this screen open while connecting to your mobile phone. I can only explain for the "iphone" so go to "Settings", then select "Mobile Data". Make sure "Mobile Data" is ON. Select "Personal Hotspot" and make sure it is ON. Click on "Password" so that this is visable. Now look at the screen on your controller that you have kept open and you should see your mobile phone listed, click on this to connect and enter the password that is displayed on your mobile phone. Now you should be connected.
2019-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PhantomPhil Posted at 10-17 16:51
[view_image]To get "follow me" mode to work with the Phantom 4+ you need to connect your moble phone to the controller via Wi-Fi. From the controller home screen click the "gear" icon, then select "system settings" and then "Wi-Fi". Make sure the slider is "On". Keep this screen open while connecting to your mobile phone. I can only explain for the "iphone" so go to "Settings", then select "Mobile Data". Make sure "Mobile Data" is ON. Select "Personal Hotspot" and make sure it is ON. Click on "Password" so that this is visable. Now look at the screen on your controller that you have kept open and you should see your mobile phone listed, click on this to connect and enter the password that is displayed on your mobile phone. Now you should be connected.

That would only share internet data and do nothing at all about GPS location data.
In the post you were commenting on (over a year old), it was pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings.

2019-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Seems to be a thing, replying to old threads.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-17
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-17 18:26
That would only share internet data and do nothing at all about GPS location data.
In the post you were commenting on (over a year old), it was pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings.

I only look here every year or two ("over a year old") to see if there is anything new but its usually the same old stuff doing the rounds. To you, it may have been pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings but you did not explain how to enable it in the location settings. I would be pleased to know how to do this if you know how to. Thanks for your help.
2019-10-18
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 10-17 21:06
Seems to be a thing, replying to old threads.

Apparently the Phantom 4+ has been superceeded by newer models so there is nothing new to say about the P4P so a lot of the threads are old.

I'm not sure if its a problem replying to old threads and i've missed a forum rule or something. You have obviously stated the obvious for whatever reason but my apologies if i've upset you.
2019-10-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Start a new thread.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-18
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I could start a new thread but the thing is that the OP question hasn't been answered. Do you know how to enable the GPS receiver in the displays Location Services as this is what is required according to Labroids.
This would be more helpful to answer a question rather than interjecting pointlessly.
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PhantomPhil Posted at 10-18 00:21
I only look here every year or two ("over a year old") to see if there is anything new but its usually the same old stuff doing the rounds. To you, it may have been pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings but you did not explain how to enable it in the location settings. I would be pleased to know how to do this if you know how to. Thanks for your help.

To you, it may have been pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings but you did not explain how to enable it in the location settings.
If the controller is like every other Android device, you click on Location in the settings and select the GPS option.

I'm not sure if its a problem replying to old threads ....
I was simply pointing out how old the thread was in case you thought you were replying to someone asking for help and waiting for an answer.

2019-10-18
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-18 02:14
To you, it may have been pretty obvious that the OP did not have GPS enabled in his location settings but you did not explain how to enable it in the location settings.
If the controller is like every other Android device, you click on Location in the settings and select the GPS option.

If the controller is like every other Android device, you click on Location in the settings and select the GPS option.
The controller that comes with the P4P+ is like any other DJi controller in that it does not contain any GPS module. This is why unlike any other android device it does not have the option to enable GPS in the settings.

I was simply pointing out how old the thread was in case you thought you were replying to someone asking for help and waiting for an answer.

I was not asking for help, i was being helpful in providing the correct answer to the question that was asked by the OP since nobody else seemed to know what they were talking about. I stand by my answer in that you must pair your mobile phone to the controllers Wi-Fi to get "follow me" mode to work. Yes, this also shares internet data so that apps such as "facebook" can be used and updating the map data for the on-screen display mapping but also provides GPS data to the controller so that "follow me"and "home lock" modes work as well.
For your information the CrystalSky monitor does have a built-in GPS module, but the OP does not have this monitor but if i was going into detail about the CrystalSky I would start a new thread particuarly since i am being stalked by RHP!
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PhantomPhil Posted at 10-18 03:40
The controller that comes with the P4P+ is like any other DJi controller in that it does not contain any GPS module. This is why unlike any other android device it does not have the option to enable GPS in the settings.

I was not asking for help
I don't remember suggesting you were.

I was being helpful in providing the correct answer to the question that was asked by the OP

And if he's still around wondering if anyone will answer his 1.5 year old question, you will have made him a happy camper.

I stand by my answer in that you must pair your mobile phone to the controllers Wi-Fi to get "follow me" mode to work.
Maybe it does?  I can't test because I don't have that model.
But it would be surprising if it does work since hotspotting doesn't share GPS data on any other devices.

For your information the CrystalSky monitor does have a built-in GPS module

Thanks so much for answering a question I never asked.
In case you were wondering, the young of the common hare is called a Leveret.
2019-10-18
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-18 04:00
I was not asking for help
I don't remember suggesting you were.

To sum it up, Its difficult to know if you actually know anything that's worth knowing. Have a good day.
2019-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PhantomPhil Posted at 10-18 04:09

To sum it up, Its difficult to know if you actually know anything that's worth knowing. Have a good day.

Its difficult to know if you actually know anything that's worth knowing.
Yeah ... I wouldn't expect you to be able to tell.
See you next time around in a year or two.
2019-10-18
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-18 04:36

And if he's still wondering if anyone will answer his 1.5 year old question, you will have made him a happy camper.
It would be nice if it was appreciated. Besides this is a public forum and anybody else using the forum search facility for "follow me mode" may be able to find this answer helpful.

I know that you don't have the P4P+ controller but believe the controller has a GPS module, your attempt at being helpful to the OP gave wrong information in answer to his question causing more confusion to anyone looking for an answer. I know that in order to deflect from your ineptness you attempt to nit pick and create irrelevant issues to put blame on others; like stabbing someone in the back and then pretending you are the one bleeding.

I respect people with real intentions who tell me the truth. Being negative only makes a journey more difficult: you may be given a cactus, but you dont have to sit on it. I think there is wisdom in being kind and compassionate even to those with whom you do not see eye to eye. People with purpose, goals and visions have no time for drama; they invest their energy in creativity and focus on living a positive life. I have no desire to argue with anyone, I choose to walk away because I just want peace.
2019-10-18
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-18 04:36

In the old west, the best guns constantly heard the phrase “reach for it mister!”
In the DJI forums, Labroides constantly hears “you have no idea what you’re talking about!”
Yet he’s always right...
So strange.

Jeff
2019-11-2
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jeff Millard Posted at 11-2 21:39
In the old west, the best guns constantly heard the phrase “reach for it mister!”
In the DJI forums, Labroides constantly hears “you have no idea what you’re talking about!”
Yet he’s always right...

Yeah, but its quite laughable to think anyone is stupid enough to think your controller is fitted with GPS. Without stupid people we'd have nothing to laugh about, so thanks both of you. So strange.....but in this case it isn't
2019-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules