DJI: The Height Restriction Has Got To Go!
123Next >
9286 103 2018-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Mittens Posted at 2018-8-7 12:36
man now your contradicting your self.

I figured everyone would understand but i guess not.
Why are some of you fighting with me? I'm trying to help but i guess DJI has their hooks in deep.
2018-8-7
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I stop worrying about this a long time ago..... These kind of threads kill the enjoyment of having a drone
2018-8-7
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2018-8-7 13:24
I stop worrying about this a long time ago..... These kind of threads kill the enjoyment of having a drone

ya you're right. Life is to short.
I've taken care of the problem but i just had to get it off my chest so to speak lol
I guess i expect to much out of this forum. I'll go back to the commercial forums and spend more time there.

2018-8-7
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 13:27
ya you're right. Life is to short.
I've taken care of the problem but i just had to get it off my chest so to speak lol

Once I learned that. Flying has been awesome. I fly every where. I've been asked by one person to bring my drone down. And I was at friends place. And he was worried it was too late. And the noise was too loud.  "I'm living my best life"
2018-8-7
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2018-8-7 13:39
Once I learned that. Flying has been awesome. I fly every where. I've been asked by one person to bring my drone down. And I was at friends place. And he was worried it was too late. And the noise was too loud.  "I'm living my best life"

You change your login name?
2018-8-7
Use props
Alexey Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Get a go pro karma it has no limit or shall i say that the limit can be switched off completely.
Also on parrot bebop2 you can override the max limit of 150 meters that parrot has endlessly. Not sure about Anafi.
Autel has a limit of 800 meters.
Yuneec can be switched to 1000 meters limit.
Safe Flying
2018-8-7
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Alexey Batalov Posted at 2018-8-7 15:20
Get a go pro karma it has no limit or shall i say that the limit can be switched off completely.
Also on parrot bebop2 you can override the max limit of 150 meters that parrot has endlessly. Not sure about Anafi.
Autel has a limit of 800 meters.

oh i was ready for this so i am fine and can fly the way i want to but thank you for the input
2018-8-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

rules are not laws..   even for part 107, because no one is going to exempt you from a federal law....period. this must mean that there is a clear lack of a law for flight height restrictions. no one is above the law, including the very people who put the laws into place.  so one can or will create some exemption...  

the argument that being allowed to fly over 500 meters will result in more crashes with aircraft is horsesh**t as well, since more of drone encounters have occured within 500 feet of the ground and within a few miles of an active airport..  i cannot think or find of 1 confirmed drone crash with an aircraft (beyond another drone) that happened outside of 500 feet AGL...    that sort of argument is same sort of argument people make up for gun laws, that more guns = more death... and its stupid to think that way, so both arguments are based on literally nothing.  but let me add: armed society is an honest society...
2018-8-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 13:07
Yes you pick one or the other before you start your drone up. You cannot switch while you're in the air.

ok you say no problem and that is what you are entitled to.

I not sure that is exactly how it would go down with Law enforcement and before the Judge.
When an activity in question is in a professional's field (Cert 107 Pilot), professionals are often held to higher standard, regardless of whether professionals are at work or not.

In U.S. always good idea to keep in mind that Federal Agencies love to make examples of little guy because - little guy does not have funds to fight said agency, and a win for agency, reasserts agency's authority, along with setting a precedence.
2018-8-7
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

The problem is our drones cant measure hight above the ground, so DJI enforced Idiotick restriction of hight above home point/start - the only thing they can do to look legit. So in the mountains where I fly this is crazy - if You start in the valley you can't reach most of the targets worth filming/seeing despite climbing several meters above the Ground. If on the other hand, You start from the top You can cruize 100's to 1000's meters above the valley staying "comfortably" at 5 m. above home point
2018-8-8
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Can be done !  google nolimitdronez or https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... nd-Boost-and-No-NFZ
2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-8-7 16:26
rules are not laws..   even for part 107, because no one is going to exempt you from a federal law....period. this must mean that there is a clear lack of a law for flight height restrictions. no one is above the law, including the very people who put the laws into place.  so one can or will create some exemption...  

the argument that being allowed to fly over 500 meters will result in more crashes with aircraft is horsesh**t as well, since more of drone encounters have occured within 500 feet of the ground and within a few miles of an active airport..  i cannot think or find of 1 confirmed drone crash with an aircraft (beyond another drone) that happened outside of 500 feet AGL...    that sort of argument is same sort of argument people make up for gun laws, that more guns = more death... and its stupid to think that way, so both arguments are based on literally nothing.  but let me add: armed society is an honest society...

So no guns would not effect people being shot, how ridiculous is that statement. No crashes above 500 feet, not sure about that one, but is no crash above 500 ft, not a good result , surely when they’re are no accidents that’s good for everyone ?
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2018-8-8 00:51
The problem is our drones cant measure hight above the ground, so DJI enforced Idiotick restriction of hight above home point/start - the only thing they can do to look legit. So in the mountains where I fly this is crazy - if You start in the valley you can't reach most of the targets worth filming/seeing despite climbing several meters above the Ground. If on the other hand, You start from the top You can cruize 100's to 1000's meters above the valley staying "comfortably" at 5 m. above home point

Thank you for your input Alex and members if you don't know @alex_markov he is one of the most popular drone pilot here and has posted many many videos of professional flying as anyone can. I highly recommend checking out his videos.
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

oh ya i am with you brother and yes i have scoured the net for info but thank you for the post

2018-8-8
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Imho, the ability to fly nearly 4 times the regulated 400ft, offers plenty head room for the vast majority of situations. However, as Alex mentioned, in mountainous areas, this can be a problem.  While there are 3rd party solutions, it would be nice if DJI could allow a key in certain known areas with diverse altitudes.
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-8 05:21
Imho, the ability to fly nearly 4 times the regulated 400ft, offers plenty head room for the vast majority of situations. However, as Alex mentioned, in mountainous areas, this can be a problem.  While there are 3rd party solutions, it would be nice if DJI could allow a key in certain known areas with diverse altitudes.

Everyone has their own opinion. That's why i posted this so i can see what everyone's opinion is.

2018-8-8
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 14:26
You change your login name?

No It's been the same. Why?

Were my post different?
2018-8-8
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

I would of mention the workaround for your drone. But I don't know if your allowed to talk about it her.e
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2018-8-8 07:42
No It's been the same. Why?

Were my post different?

Sorry i guess my eyes are playing tricks on me lol
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2018-8-8 07:43
I would of mention the workaround for your drone. But I don't know if your allowed to talk about it her.e

No i have everything taken care of thank you for the offer. Just trying to make everyone aware of this height limit.
I like not having my flight distance updated. I hope it just stays right where it is lol
2018-8-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Friend, I wouldn't advise flying above 400 feet altitude as that is a buffer zone for drones. Anything above 500 feet and then the drone may be flying at same altitude to any manned aircraft. Unless you're flying next to an airport in close proximity to departing and arriving aircraft, anything up to 400 feet altitude pretty much makes it almost impossible to come into contact with a manned aircraft, given helicopters and planes do not travel at that low altitude unless again it's around an airport. If you fly above 400 feet, then you risk the event of accidental crash that can be hazardous.

The only caveat the FAA has for drones given the ability to fly above 400 feet is when flying next to tall structures. Any tall structure flying VLOS, the FAA gives permission to maintain an altitude of 400 feet above that structure. That's the only loophole for flying above 400 feet. It's rare and you have to be flying close proximity to the drone where you can see the surrounding area if you do indeed go 400 feet above a tall structure.
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

that sort of argument is same sort of argument people make up for gun  laws, that more guns = more death... and its stupid to think that way

Yes!  In U.S., stats on number of Guns owned per captia vs. Murders by Guns per capital, run counter too arugment of more ''Common Sense'' gun laws.
Stats for U.S. laid bare starting at timemark 2:58 -
As for world, Stats for U.S. compared to other countries, starting at timemark 0:30.

2018-8-8
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:20
Nope you are wrong sorry

I live at a elevation of 5000ft msl. I think the 400ft agl is a good rule. Its a common sense, we do have a visual line of site rule.  Try and see if can really keep your Drone in site at 400ft when its 4000ft away. I know I cant, we all use the DJIGo App to fly home with the red arrow indicator, or we hit RTH.  
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-8 11:04
I live at a elevation of 5000ft msl. I think the 400ft agl is a good rule. Its a common sense, we do have a visual line of site rule.  Try and see if can really keep your Drone in site at 400ft when its 4000ft away. I know I cant, we all use the DJIGo App to fly home with the red arrow indicator, or we hit RTH.

Try and see if can really keep your Drone in site at 400ft when its 4000ft away.

Brings up questions:
1) How far away can average drone pilot See their Mavic Pro / Mavic Air in sky?
2) How far away can average drone pilot Spot their Mavic Pro / Mavic Air in sky, after being distracted?  (Forced to look down for say 10-seconds, and drone has moved during that time.)

Same questions, but this time when aformentioned drone is low enough that background is not sky, but a complex background like say forest, mountain, urban jungle?

2018-8-8
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:20
Nope you are wrong sorry

2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-8 10:44
that sort of argument is same sort of argument people make up for gun  laws, that more guns = more death... and its stupid to think that way

Yes!  In U.S., stats on number of Guns owned per captia vs. Murders by Guns per capital, run counter too arugment of more ''Common Sense'' gun laws.

This is not a propaganda list unlike that crock of sh#t video, you will notice US pretty high up the list for gun related deaths and while all may not be murders, all are caused by guns. You will also notice that all countries above US are either second world countries, countries without proper governments and countries rife with corruption, if Americans are listening or watching that crap, then it’s no wonder they rank so high on gun death list.
2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-8 10:44

Yes!  In U.S., stats on number of Guns owned per captia vs. Murders by Guns per capital, run counter too arugment of more ''Common Sense'' gun laws.

2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-8 11:04

We all have our opinions
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-8 11:18

We all have our opinions
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Your posted numbers are bogus, given entire Homicide (murder by club, knife, gun, car, ...) rate for U.S. is only 4.9 per 100,000 - as of 2015, last World/Country data set listed.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade

US-2015-4.9.jpg

2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-8 12:45
Your posted numbers are bogus, given entire Homicide (murder by club, knife, gun, car, ...) rate for U.S. is only 4.9 per 100,000 - as of 2015, last World/Country data set listed.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade

Nothing bogus about it, who mentioned anything else except guns, once again trying to twist with you rubbish, cop yourself on your looking like an idiot here as usual. (GUNS) can you not read.

https://www.worldatlas.com/artic ... related-deaths.htmlhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/12/15/the-countries-where-guns-account-for-the-highest-share-of-violent-death-infographic/#757885256c2c
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/12/15/the-countries-where-guns-account-for-the-highest-share-of-violent-death-infographic/#5e4eda876c2c

Among developed nations US has a pretty poor record with gun deaths, not everyone can be wrong....

2018-8-8
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

alex_markov Posted at 2018-8-8 00:51
The problem is our drones cant measure hight above the ground, so DJI enforced Idiotick restriction of hight above home point/start - the only thing they can do to look legit. So in the mountains where I fly this is crazy - if You start in the valley you can't reach most of the targets worth filming/seeing despite climbing several meters above the Ground. If on the other hand, You start from the top You can cruize 100's to 1000's meters above the valley staying "comfortably" at 5 m. above home point

I agree with this statement, and here is a very legit example of where the arbitrary limit does restrict a legal flight.  I personally tend to agree with the option of not restricting something that can be used legally just because an idiot can misuse it.   

Is there anything that is impossible for an idiot to misuse if they try hard enough.....

2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-8 11:30
This is not a propaganda list unlike that crock of sh#t video, you will notice US pretty high up the list for gun related deaths and while all may not be murders, all are caused by guns. You will also notice that all countries above US are either second world countries, countries without proper governments and countries rife with corruption, if Americans are listening or watching that crap, then it’s no wonder they rank so high on gun death list.

America only ranks high, when someone like you is allowed to get away with declaring what is a ''crock of sh#t'', and what isn't.

List of countries by guns and homicide

From link above, table puts United States in the middle of 166 listed countries, with a rank of #83.

United-States_4.2.jpg

Death blow to your bogus numbers post.  

Availabilty of guns, from same table at link provided - Americans own most guns per capita (100,000 people).

A further death blow to those that claim more guns equates to more muders by guns.

US_most-guns-per-capita.jpg
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-8 12:57
Nothing bogus about it, who mentioned anything else except guns, once again trying to twist with you rubbish, cop yourself on your looking like an idiot here as usual. (GUNS) can you not read.

https://www.worldatlas.com/artic ... related-deaths.htmlhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/12/15/the-countries-where-guns-account-for-the-highest-share-of-violent-death-infographic/#757885256c2c

No wonder you spew so much non-sense.  You can not even understand simple concpet that you can not have more Gun Homicides than total Combined (knife, club, gun, car, ...) Homicides.

Perhaps something elementary school level for you.
Combined Homicides = Whole Pie
Gun Homicides = only part of Whole Pie

Your bogus numbers are larger than Whole Pie!
2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-8 13:20
No wonder you spew so much non-sense.  You can not even understand simple concpet that you can not have more Gun Homicides than total Combined (knife, club, gun, car, ...) Homicides.

Perhaps something elementary school level for you.

You are a complete idiot, who mentioned homicides or knife crime or all the usual crap your spewing out. It’s simple you are once again being totally annoying bringing ridiculous s#it into everything , I mentioned nothing only gun related deaths , is suicide by gun homicide . Deaths by guns simple. Not homicides not knife crime not anything else.
Your just all over this forum trying to create trouble, you are seriously lacking something. I have asked you to stop trolling on so many occasions, go bother sheep or something, because you becoming more ridiculous everyday . Now Quit. I have reported this trolling.
2018-8-8
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

The 400 ft software limit is an adjustable recommendation in the app.
The 500 mtr hardware limit is keeping the drone within its aerodynamic specification.
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-8 13:50
You are a complete idiot, who mentioned homicides or knife crime or all the usual crap your spewing out. It’s simple you are once again being totally annoying bringing ridiculous s#it into everything , I mentioned nothing only gun related deaths , is suicide by gun homicide . Deaths by guns simple. Not homicides not knife crime not anything else.
Your just all over this forum trying to create trouble, you are seriously lacking something. I have asked you to stop trolling on so many occasions, go bother sheep or something, because you becoming more ridiculous everyday . Now Quit. I have reported this trolling.

You can try all SPIN, Twisting, Denying you want.
But facts are completely against your bogus numbers you posted.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate  (complied by United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Your bogus numbers put United States at 10.54 per 100,000 for guns.
Total  number of Homicides for United States is 5.35 per 100,000 for all  weapons (knife, club, gun, ...) and methods (fists, strangulation,  arson).
Your bogus number is nearly twice reality.

Same table lists number of intentional homicides as 17,250.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 4
Number, which is close to FBI Stats which report homicides as 15,070.

Difference is down to who complied numbers.  Our FBI or United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

I suppose you will now try SPIN and Twist that United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is biased for United States.

Hallmark007 - Now Quit. I have reported this trolling.

I sincerely, hope you did.  

Being you started this with your bogus numbers to put down United States, and I was justified in countring with facts - backed by links to actual data.  
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Interesting replies in this mainly recreational oriented forum. I'm sure the replies would be different in a mainly commercial oriented drone/quad forum.

Thank you everyone for your input and replies. Very much appreciated
2018-8-8
Use props
PandaCheese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253986 ft
United States

Please don't turn this into a gun debate...it's evolutionarily impossible for two Americans to argue sanely about guns, abortion, climate change or evolution for that matter.
2018-8-8
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

I have no problem with the 400'agl law. Good law keeps you from crashing into planes. I do have a problem with the DJI imposed rule of 500 meters from take off. This has prevented me from flying up drainages in the mountains to get views that I could not climb to. I was only 10 meters above AGL but maxed out at 500 meters from take off. I needed another 500 meters to get me where I wanted to go, If I could have flown 1000 meters above take off I still would have only be 10 to 20 meters AGL. Well under the US 400 foot law. This rule by DJI is a hindrance.  There is terrain data that DJI could use to verify your not more than 400 feet AGL  +/- 30 meters in extreme areas if they wanted. Maps made easy already uses it. There is even more accurate data they could use if they wanted to make a option to turn off the 500 meter rule you load up the correct DEMs for the area and your good to go.

2018-8-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules