Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Minor dispute of drone rules at Mesa Falls Recreation Area
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justin_mcvideo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Minor dispute of Drone Rules at Mesa Falls Recreation Area just outside Yellowstone National Park;

Here's the basic story, I shot this a couple of weeks ago. We were en route to Yellowstone Nat'l Park and we usually stop here on the way. I assumed I couldn't fly here just because it was a Recreational Area, and they accepted a National Parks Pass as a voucher for payment of entry, so I was certain I couldn't fly.
Well my brother in law just asked the front desk at the Visitor's Center about drones, and they told him they weren't banned, and handed him a paper with drone suggestions and regulations. I was a little shocked to hear they weren't banned, so I double checked, and then happily ran to my vehicle to grab my Phantom 4.
During this shoot, I stayed over the river and falls, careful of any down drafts and misty spray. I had the shots and was bringing it in for a landing when I heard the Park Ranger yelling to get my attention, only yelling because of the roaring volume of the waterfalls.
My tablet recorded the audio from the conversation
Basically there is /was some disagreement in the park with drone rules, the ranger was of the opinion they were banned. She said the rules say no flying over crowds, which I rebutted that I was only over the river. Then the disturbance of wildlife, but the loud waterfalls covered that one, the drone was almost impossible to hear.
In the end we ended with a handshake, trading email addresses, and an offer from me to donate any of my shots to the Park Service there. I'm still waiting to hear what the official ruling is at this time, but when I do I promised I would inform the drone community at large.

2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Great video! Also, thank you so much for sharing that information with us. That's a great help. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to reach us. We are here to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Don't worry about the ranger.  Typically, they don't know anyway.
2018-8-7
Use props
justin_mcvideo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Thanks, I'm still waiting on feedback
2018-8-10
Use props
djiuser_WQnnKNnhThrF
New

United States

A very similar thing just happened to me.  I asked at the hotel and was told "It is allowed but 'we' ask that you do not."
To me, that put the ball in my court.  
I made my way down to the river and the viewpoint.  I was such a beautiful location with only a few others.  There were no signs down there to indicate that I could not fly my drone. There were no signs to indicate any temporary closures.  I made the decision to make one fly over.
I had barely put the drone in the air when she came down and harassed me.
This needs to stop. If it is not allowed then say so. Post signs. They should not be left up to the discretion of whoever is working that day.
In this case, it was also unclear exactly where she meant. There were no signs down at the river. Nothing to indicate that I could possibly be violating a law or bothering wildlife. Perhaps she meant in the area around the hotel?
Just very frustrating to be told, " yes it is allowed but we ask you not to..... What does that mean?
2023-8-2
Use props
djiuser_WQnnKNnhThrF
New

United States

justin_mcvideo Posted at 2018-8-10 06:57
Thanks, I'm still waiting on feedback

Great video. See my comments below.
2023-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now