DJI Phantom 4 Advanced Dropped out of Sky
4122 29 2018-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alpinextrm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 820600 ft

I'm trying to understand why my DJI Phantom 4 Advance dropped out of the sky for no reason. I took off all systems normal and all of the sudden the drone dropped out of the sky. DJI is saying there wasn't a problem and I completely disagree. I am just glad no one, including myself, was under the drone at the time of the malfunction. I downloaded the flight records and show nothing abnormal unless I'm just not reading them right? If anyone else has any insight into reading these flight logs, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. Needless to say I'm getting the drone repaired, but will think twice about flying to drone anywhere I wouldn't feel comfortable it dropping to earth like a rock.
Here's the flight record:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/H1I7EUQTCCCXDJBJY9ZB/
2018-8-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Was battery still inserted when you got to it?   Nothing at all looks wrong.
2018-8-7
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-7 16:18
Was battery still inserted when you got to it?   Nothing at all looks wrong.

Yes the battery was locked in place.
2018-8-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Sorry this happened to ya.  A bummer for sure.
2018-8-7
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-7 16:24
Sorry this happened to ya.  A bummer for sure.

Thank you, just glad I wasn't over anything or anyone!
2018-8-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

So your P4 was in the air for less than 8 seconds before it turned itself off.  Is that correct?  
2018-8-7
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-7 16:36
So your P4 was in the air for less than 8 seconds before it turned itself off.  Is that correct?

That's correct
2018-8-7
Use props
Håkan K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Although there is no indication of it in the log presented. All props were attached after he crash and the battery was also still attached to the craft?  It looks to me if those figures are all from the log, as they look normal and then just nothing, could indicate the battery was disconnected in some way. There is a log in the craft too. Did DJI analyze that?
Edit:

There is nothing abnormal with the flight log you have in your device. EXCEPT it ends in the air and not showing the expected landing. So I would say you want to puch back at DJI.
2018-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Bird strike, mini missile, large carnivorous insect, bat, bad luck?

RedHotPoker
2018-8-8
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Håkan K Posted at 2018-8-8 02:58
Although there is no indication of it in the log presented. All props were attached after he crash and the battery was also still attached to the craft?  It looks to me if those figures are all from the log, as they look normal and then just nothing, could indicate the battery was disconnected in some way. There is a log in the craft too. Did DJI analyze that?
Edit:

Sadly, the response I received from DJI is unintelligible:  

Dear Customer, unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

Even trying to speak to someone at DJI is nearly impossible let alone having a discussion around the cause of a malfunction.   
2018-8-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-8 06:18
Sadly, the response I received from DJI is unintelligible:  

Dear Customer, unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

I think what they're saying, in so many words, is they believe it's likely you inserted the battery incorrectly.  

Sorry for your loss.
2018-8-8
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-8 06:50
I think what they're saying, in so many words, is they believe it's likely you inserted the battery incorrectly.  

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks...but not sure I'm getting that same assessment from this response
2018-8-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

At the begining of the log it shows that you were taking off in a Class C Zone, could that not be the cause?
2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize if you had some issues with the aircraft. For us to check what happened we would recommend to send in the aircraft for assessment and check the integrity of the components inside the drone. Please click the link to process an online repair request.

Online Repair Request
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Suren Posted at 2018-8-9 09:43
At the begining of the log it shows that you were taking off in a Class C Zone, could that not be the cause?

No, that has nothing to do with it, I was on the beach by the ocean.
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-9 09:55
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize if you had some issues with the aircraft. For us to check what happened we would recommend to send in the aircraft for assessment and check the integrity of the components inside the drone. Please click the link to process an online repair request.

Online Repair Request

It's being repaired as we speak, but I don't agree with DJI's assessment. DJI assessed and claimed it wasn't a problem with the drone, I totally disagree and from other posts I've read, others have had exactly the same experience with their Phantom 4
2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-9 10:14
It's being repaired as we speak, but I don't agree with DJI's assessment. DJI assessed and claimed it wasn't a problem with the drone, I totally disagree and from other posts I've read, others have had exactly the same experience with their Phantom 4

Hi, may we ask for the CAS number so I can help and coordinate this one to the correct department? We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-9 10:27
Hi, may we ask for the CAS number so I can help and coordinate this one to the correct department? We're here to help you. Thank you.

I don't feel comfortable posting that information on a message board however if you provide me your DJI e-mail address and contact information, I am happy to supply it to you.
2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-9 10:32
I don't feel comfortable posting that information on a message board however if you provide me your DJI e-mail address and contact information, I am happy to supply it to you.

Hi, just private message me for us to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-9 10:40
Hi, just private message me for us to help you. Thank you.

How do I know you are with DJI? I would like the help but you're asking me to post case numbers online and then asking me to private message you and I have no idea whether you work with DJI?
2018-8-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-9 10:42
How do I know you are with DJI? I would like the help but you're asking me to post case numbers online and then asking me to private message you and I have no idea whether you work with DJI?

You can tell because the name starts with DJI and below it is the word "Administrator"
2018-8-9
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

The administrators can be trusted.
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-9 11:32
The administrators can be trusted.

That's fine, I sent he/she my information and they didn't do anything. DJI changed $200.00 for repair of the drone and then turned around and charged me full-price $169.00 for a replacement battery. That's after having a conversation with their support group over the phone and the "intervention" of the "Administrator", who quite honestly did NOTHING.

SHAME on DJI for not standing behind their products. I've heard this about them but now experienced it first hand. I really wish DJI had a viable competitor.
2018-8-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-9 17:33
That's fine, I sent he/she my information and they didn't do anything. DJI changed $200.00 for repair of the drone and then turned around and charged me full-price $169.00 for a replacement battery. That's after having a conversation with their support group over the phone and the "intervention" of the "Administrator", who quite honestly did NOTHING.

SHAME on DJI for not standing behind their products. I've heard this about them but now experienced it first hand. I really wish DJI had a viable competitor.

'SHAME on DJI for not standing behind their products. I've heard this about them but now experienced it first hand. I really wish DJI had a viable competitor.'

Try putting yourself in their shoes. They have only one way to analyse the flight and decide if there was a product malfunction or not. Their warranty covers such product malfunctions. But your flight was a total of 8 seconds and the log does not show anything wrong with the aircraft. So how do they conclude there was a manufacturing problem with the aircraft? You could just as easily have made a mistake while flying.
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-9 17:44
'SHAME on DJI for not standing behind their products. I've heard this about them but now experienced it first hand. I really wish DJI had a viable competitor.'

Try putting yourself in their shoes. They have only one way to analyse the flight and decide if there was a product malfunction or not. Their warranty covers such product malfunctions. But your flight was a total of 8 seconds and the log does not show anything wrong with the aircraft. So how do they conclude there was a manufacturing problem with the aircraft? You could just as easily have made a mistake while flying.

That was very helpful, thank you
2018-8-9
Use props
Mikeaudioags
New
Mexico

I am very sorry for what happened to you, I hope you can help me in your experience when flying drones, first question do not recommend flying it at a high altitude and the second question is that if you fell off your drone or with the propellers moving, greetings and we are in Contact
2018-8-9
Use props
alpinextrm
lvl.1

Mikeaudioags Posted at 2018-8-9 18:03
I am very sorry for what happened to you, I hope you can help me in your experience when flying drones, first question do not recommend flying it at a high altitude and the second question is that if you fell off your drone or with the propellers moving, greetings and we are in Contact

Thank you, but I'm not sure I understand your question. I was flying at 50 feet and the props were firmly attached to the aircraft, in fact, they were still on when it crashed, albeit one of them had broken.
2018-8-9
Use props
Mikeaudioags
New
Mexico

alpinextrm Posted at 2018-8-9 18:08
Thank you, but I'm not sure I understand your question. I was flying at 50 feet and the props were firmly attached to the aircraft, in fact, they were still on when it crashed, albeit one of them had broken.

That's what I meant, I did not understand and I just confused you, but thanks for your answer, see you soon
2018-8-9
Use props
Ngun200
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1371132 ft
Ireland

My 3 month old p4 advanced dropped into sea after 6 minutes of flight time with a battery that had over 60 % power left. I watched it fall about 750 metres out at sea, 80 feet drop to its death, warranty null and void, final  data stopped recording with everything in perfect flight order,no sudden deceleration recorded, so something major failed  what a waste of money, dji offered a discount on a replacement but would only ship it to a hong kong address, I live in ireland, hense to say I got nothing what so ever in the end, warranty is fictitious.
2019-1-17
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

Did you need a new battery?  

"Where there is smoke, there is fire."  NEXT
2019-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now