Newbie saying hello...
793 29 2018-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

I love making GoPro holiday videos and photography so recently purchased the mavic air. This is my first ever drone and thought I would say hi.

Any tips, tricks or warnings will be appreciated as a beginner in the drone world.

Below is my first ever capture with the MA, it was colour edited on a free app so not the best.

Look forward to joining the DJI community and contributing.
new im.jpg
2018-8-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome. Great picture composition, but it's a bit pixely. I'm guessing you had to shrink it a bit to upload. But nice composition.

BTW, post your youtube channel and I'll follow it. It'll be nice to see your drone piloting progression.
2018-8-8
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get a lot of fun out of your Mavic Air. Read the manual plenty of times and take heed of the great advice you will find on this forum. There is a lot of good stuff on You Tube too.
2018-8-8
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yes, the original picture is 6MEG so had to shrink this a lot and lost its picture quality. Is there anyway around this?

Youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNtWzD87OtFVjjyU_AJUoYw  
2018-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi welcome to the forum, drone footage will be great for you when used with go pro footage, makes story telling much easier, read the manual and continually refer to it as you go. Good Luck...
2018-8-8
Use props
maddox
Captain

nice shot
2018-8-8
Use props
maddox
Captain

welcome to the forum
2018-8-8
Use props
MFPF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240413 ft
United States

Great shot.  Can’t stress enough, read the manuals, watch the Utubes, and read the forums. Have fun flying.
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Welcome to the DJI forums and fly safe!
2018-8-8
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and happy flying.
2018-8-8
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello..... Fly safe!
2018-8-8
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the forum!

Below is a good beginners guide for the Mavic Air. You might pick up a few new bits of information.

2018-8-8
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Welcome to the forum. Best advice I can give you is to take things slow. Spend a lot of time getting to know your drone and all of its features before flying to far, to high or to aggressively. Most of the issues you see on this forum are pilot errors.
2018-8-8
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking forward to learning as much as I can and getting beautiful photos / footage.
2018-8-8
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

* Read the manual
* Put the white balance on a preset like sunny, don't use Auto
* Put the ISO at 100 most of the time
* Adjust the shutter speed manually
* Use the histogram to check your exposure - best to do it once in the air as it tends to get a bit brighter vs. the ground. Also depends on gimbal angle
* Check your return to home altitude
Tips on filming (great channel btw):

Finally, it is always good to find a big field and practice some scenarios:
1) Fly out a little and hit return to home and see what it does
2) Start a dronie or rocket and hit pause - learn where the pause button is! It can save you!
3) Practice stopping return to home with pause or the return to home button
4) Find a nice spot to land somewhere away from you, maybe a few hundred feet, then use Find My Drone to pretend to search for it - click the drone on the map and Beep ESC's
5) Practice gentle maneuvers in Sport Mode (be very careful, sensors are off) as it can save you if obstacle avoidance won't let you move between some trees or something. Be careful!
6) After you have flown around and the battery gets low, don't land - hover until the drone starts to force an auto land, then practice pushing up to control the landing.
7) Fly the drone out a bit, calibrate your phone's compass while connected to the RC (just wave the RC and phone about in figure eight usuallly) and pull up the radar view (hit the circle with the cross at the top of the map view). The radar will show you if you are facing the drone (good for signal) and which way the drone is facing. Practice flying the drone back to you using the radar.
8) Search for posts on this forum with words like "crash" or "lost", etc. and learn from their mistakes. Including mine .

Oh, and read the manual again ;)

2018-8-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Hello and welcome to the forum.
2018-8-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Congratulations for your Mavic Air and welcome to this forum! Thank you for the nice picture. The upload threshold in this forum is 2MB, with that you can achieve good resolution. You have already received excellent advice here above and all I can add is to wish you always happy landings!
2018-8-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have over 10 satellites before taking off and listen to the "you home point has been recorded" before taking off and follow all FAA rules and never fly out of sight.

Welcome to the community DJI drone community!
2018-8-8
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks so much guys   
2018-8-8
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Let me say thank you for joining the DJI forum.
Here you will find the best answers to any and all your questions.
The guys here are very knowledgeable.
If we criticize don't take it personnel. We just want to help make you a better and safer pilot.
Keep taking those videos and photos. Remember to fly safe and obey UK laws for drone flying.
2018-8-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Welcome to the forum.
Posting pictures to the forum will in most cases loose some details.
I use Irfanview64 for re size to under 2Mb.
You can also use Google Drive or Dropbox to share pictures here in the forum.
Pictures on Google Drive
or use re sizes.

2018-8-8
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Wish you a lot of stunning videos and photos and safe flying always
2018-8-8
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Today I tried uploading some test footage to youtube but it appears very choppy to me. I edited colour a little in premiere pro, exported as "youtube 4k" but its come out choppy. Might just be me. But feels as though the quality is lacking.

2018-8-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

db11 Posted at 2018-8-9 08:54

Today I tried uploading some test footage to youtube but it appears very choppy to me. I edited colour a little in premiere pro, exported as "youtube 4k" but its come out choppy. Might just be me. But feels as though the quality is lacking.

It will depend what you are playing it back on, to me watching in 1080p it looks great not choppy, have you watched it on a 4K monitor ?
2018-8-10
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-10 10:59
It will depend what you are playing it back on, to me watching in 1080p it looks great not choppy, have you watched it on a 4K monitor ?

My PC does watch 4k on youtube ok but played mine very choppy. The 1080 looked smooth.  May just be my PC.
2018-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

db11 Posted at 2018-8-11 11:49
My PC does watch 4k on youtube ok but played mine very choppy. The 1080 looked smooth.  May just be my PC.

I think your probably right, I’m sure soon enough we will all be watching tv in 4/5/6 k so keep recording in 4K .
2018-8-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

db11 Posted at 2018-8-9 08:54

It is not choppy now, Youtube needs a while for fully processing after your upload. Your capture of the fox is fantastic, what a lucky shot! Thank you very much!
2018-8-11
Use props
db11
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-11 12:03
It is not choppy now, Youtube needs a while for fully processing after your upload. Your capture of the fox is fantastic, what a lucky shot! Thank you very much!

Yes was very lucky with the fox. That was my second ever flight and the fox popped up in the field whilst I was practising.

Today I went on my third flight. Getting a tad more confident and took this image.

DJI_0019.jpg

2018-8-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

db11 Posted at 2018-8-11 12:08
Yes was very lucky with the fox. That was my second ever flight and the fox popped up in the field whilst I was practising.

Today I went on my third flight. Getting a tad more confident and took this image.

Great shot, thank you again!
2018-8-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome friend!  I truly enjoy anytime I'm lucky enough to see a fox.  Stunning creature!  Thank you for that.
2018-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules