not stable while hovering
4317 25 2018-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

my mavic is not stable while hovering. i have tried calibrating the compass, imu and also updating the firmware. can anyone resolve this issue.attaching a video for ref.
2018-8-8
Use props
AirPilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2355823 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Seems perfectly normal to me. The air blown by it's propellers inside the room creates turbulences that are corrected automatically by the drone with those fast movements. This is how the vision system works...disable it and the drone will eventually drift until it crashes into a wall, pushed by it's self-created turbulences.
2018-8-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

You are flying in house, most likely Mavic has no stable GPS link and only can rely on VPS if there is sufficient light in the room. Go outside, wait for stable GPS link (min. 11 satellites)  and you will see the difference.
2018-8-8
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I think it is wavering because it is full of angry bees.
2018-8-8
Use props
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

AirPilot Posted at 2018-8-8 12:39
Seems perfectly normal to me. The air blown by it's propellers inside the room creates turbulences that are corrected automatically by the drone with those fast movements. This is how the vision system works...disable it and the drone will eventually drift until it crashes into a wall, pushed by it's self-created turbulences.

i have also tried it in areas with higher roof... it starts moving in any direction it wants instead of remaining stable. and that also in tripod mode. at a height of around 3m
2018-8-8
Use props
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

i have also tried it in areas with higher roof... it starts moving in any direction it wants instead of remaining stable. and that also in tripod mode. at a height of around 3m
2018-8-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I suggest you fly your Mavic Pro outside with no any interference. If you have other question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-8-8
Use props
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

2018-8-8
Use props
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-8 12:48
Hello there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I suggest you fly your Mavic Pro outside with no any interference. If you have other question, please let us know. Thank you.

how can i improve the gps signal indoor
2018-8-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Dshaikh Posted at 2018-8-8 12:49

You can't. The Mavic Air is made for flying outdoors. Is there a particular reason for you to fly only indoors?
2018-8-8
Use props
Dshaikh
lvl.1
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-8 12:57
You can't. The Mavic Air is made for flying outdoors. Is there a particular reason for you to fly only indoors?

wedding coverage
2018-8-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Not suitable for indoor footage, even dangerous if crowded with people. For filming indoors you better get an Osmo or similar device.
2018-8-8
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The vision sensor need enough light and clear patterns on ground to position. Fly in house with single colour floor it can’t maintain position.

To improve GPS signal in room you need to remove the roof and better with the walls around.
2018-8-8
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

just the same for me (outside), even if I turn the gimbal's control button MA occasionally moves left. I think it's very urgent to issue the new firmware (Galaxy S7, Andorid 8.0)
2018-8-8
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

Will be very tricky. Hope you consider an alternative as it can be dangerous
2018-8-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft

You really don’t understand the technology you have purchased! It realises on LOS to the satellites ( at least 12) to mainitan a good GPS lock & hence stability - you’re not going to get this indoors.  The idea of using this indoors at a crowded wedding, probably with excited children running all over, is crazy! DON’T DO IT!
2018-8-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft

You really don’t understand the technology you have purchased! It realises on LOS to the satellites ( at least 12) to mainitan a good GPS lock & hence stability - you’re not going to get this indoors.  The idea of using this indoors at a crowded wedding, probably with excited children running all over, is crazy! DON’T DO IT!
2018-8-8
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

Agreed.  it seems quite normal. The air flow coming from the bottom of the device makes an effect on the stabilization.
2018-8-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

The hover looks fairly good to me, good lighting will only help the VPS to hold position, so that needs to be considered.

The Specifications give an idea of what to expect:-

Hovering Accuracy Range
Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

Horizontal:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

The only machine I would consider using close to people would be a Mavic Pro with cages fitted round props  (very noisy option for Mavic) which prevent the blades from damaging people.
2018-8-9
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-8-9 03:17
The hover looks fairly good to me, good lighting will only help the VPS to hold position, so that needs to be considered.

The Specifications give an idea of what to expect:-

"The only machine I would consider using close to people would be a Mavic Pro with cages fitted round props  (very noisy option for Mavic) which prevent the blades from damaging people."

Although I would never use it for indoor wedding photography (they're all too noisy), I've used the Spark indoors around people without issue.  I don't have it anymore, but was amazed at how stable and reliable it was indoors.  Granted, it doesn't have as good a camera, but it was acceptable for what I was doing and gave great results.  
2018-8-9
Use props
moulinrouge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119065 ft
Indonesia

Mavic Air's sensors
(From Mavic Pro user)

First, actually your Air doesn't move too much. But I understand, stability really matters if you want to take a good picture.

This is likely a case of ATTI mode Vision Positioning without GPS lock. Check on your control screen if it flies ATTI mode or GPS mode.
It moves right and left. Your mavic doesn't have a coordinate to stick with. GPS issue? most likely because you are flying indoor.
You are probably in Visual Positioning System (VPS), because it sticks vertically (it sensed the floor) but still wiggled right and left. So let's focus on why it wiggles right and left.

VPS relies on sensors that, for AIR, scan in 3 directions: front, back, and down. Front and Back are vision sensors, down sensor are vision sensors + infrared sensors.
Air's sensing ability has APAS system, it will instruct your drone to move right or left if it senses an obstacle in FRONT of it. You need to make sure that the area in front of your drone is clear from obstacles, else it may activate this obstacle avoidance maneuver.

If it bobbles up and down, you drone probably doesn't recognize the floor under it or your turn off your sensor. Since DJI says that the down sensor of AIR is equipped with 2 infrared sensors, it should be more capable to recognize the surface under it, that thing makes you more stable vertically.

The second element you need to pay attention to is the indoor light, without it the vision positioning wont be reliable, especially the front and back sensor since they are relying on the VISION sensor.
This could be the issue that affected your Air stability.

Lesson learned from that is you need to remember when the sensors are on, Mavic sensors are constantly scanning obstacles around it.
In some cases, it may accidentally catapult itself upward if it's sense something close under it. It may hit the ceiling, because it doesn't have upward sensor. People who do catch-landing know this.

All-in-all when flying indoor, you need to be extra effort to make it stable. There's a tripod mode that will make Mavic fly in slow speed, but I don't believe it can solve your weak GPS hence the stability issue.
I am sorry I only share thoughts on the cause not the solution, perhaps others can share their experience on how to solve this. I am always fly with all sensors and protection on, except when I do catch-landing.

Good luck man.
2018-8-9
Use props
Onbekommerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87178 ft
South Africa

Are the couple and the guest going to enjoy the MA sound? Lets be honest, the MA is noisy at close range (indoor)...
2018-8-9
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Not stable?
That's *super* stable, especially for an indoor, limited space hover.

Check the footage - can you see the (minute) drift in the footage?
If not, all is well.
2018-8-9
Use props
Muchmore
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568714 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you think that is unstable now....just wait until you go hovering around a brides head
2018-8-9
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

After watching your supplies video, I can say with confidence that this is normal behavior. Hovering with any kind of aircraft is generally inefficient as the motors have to fight the air currents it gives off as well as movements caused by said currents. Typically this is demonstrated by battery tests where the aircraft hovers rather than moving at a constant rate, where the aircraft that is moving at a constant speed is more efficient than the hovering one, which is part of the reason why you might not see the advertised flight time when hovering but might be closer when moving. As far as flying indoors, depending on your local laws, flying over people can be frowned upon or outright illegal, not to mention dangerous. Please keep this in consideration as uas's like the ones dji make are helpful for all sorts of filmmaking and photography, but it can't do everything. Consider maybe using your smartphone or even a point and shoot camera while indoors, and leave the breathtaking shots for more wide open areas.
Fly safe
Alpha
2018-8-12
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

Dude you're nuts. You can power it on and just walk around with it, just to use the gimbal. I doubt the bride wants to hear a fleet of angry bees while her vows are recited to her. Just use it for the gimbal.

Power on, hit record and walk it around. Tape it to a pole if you want.
2018-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules