Namibia Moonlandscape clip
1386 28 2018-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Ok, so my very first clip with a Mavic Air. I find myself flying the drone, looking for photo opportuinties, and not concentrating on video at all. Of all the videos i made, not one has smooth, buttery, cinematic flying...........I tend to swing the drone around, move the gimbal too fast, etc. Had to cut out quite a lot of that from this video. Tips appreciated. Also, video editing is brand new to me.......... man, i suck at this. Will have to practice more.

2018-8-8
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

From what I saw of your clip I would say you did well.
Subject matter was great to look at.
Am looking forward to seeing more videos from you.

For tips it would be nice to see the unedited version.
2018-8-8
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-8 17:05
From what I saw of your clip I would say you did well.
Subject matter was great to look at.
Am looking forward to seeing more videos from you.

Thank u, but i do think u are a bit kind.
I know i am a bit rough with the sticks, so i don,t get that smooth yaw movements, and gimbal up and down video that i want. I did set up the sensitivity and yaw etc as a couple of good youtube channels suggested, but still getting this fast, nauseating turns....
Editing wise, i have no clue. I see some banding and artifacts in the sky, sometimes in the foreground as well, so not sure if it is my very bad video editing skills, or my bad flying....
Using Wondershare Filmora for now, Premium Pro looks a bit daunting for now.
Any advise?
2018-8-9
Use props
BHProductions
First Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

Practice practice practice.  It looks like you don't have any shortages of wide open spaces. Practice orbits, rotating pans, elevating pans, rotating elevating pans etc. Oh and patience helps too. I haven't used Filmora so I have no feed back on that. However I do like powerdirector on the android. It saves me from lugging around a laptop.
2018-8-9
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-9 09:54
Thank u, but i do think u are a bit kind.
I know i am a bit rough with the sticks, so i don,t get that smooth yaw movements, and gimbal up and down video that i want. I did set up the sensitivity and yaw etc as a couple of good youtube channels suggested, but still getting this fast, nauseating turns....
Editing wise, i have no clue. I see some banding and artifacts in the sky, sometimes in the foreground as well, so not sure if it is my very bad video editing skills, or my bad flying....

Charissa.
As BHP mention about using Cyber Power Direct. I also use it and another called  Davinci Resolve which is a pretty powerful editor to use. It is free
Power Direct has thousands of effects that can be used and are free from   Director Zone
I have Filmora on my computer but have never used it. Forgot I had it.

2018-8-9
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

BHProductions Posted at 2018-8-9 14:04
Practice practice practice.  It looks like you don't have any shortages of wide open spaces. Practice orbits, rotating pans, elevating pans, rotating elevating pans etc. Oh and patience helps too. I haven't used Filmora so I have no feed back on that. However I do like powerdirector on the android. It saves me from lugging around a laptop.

Thank u. Unfortunately, the wide open spaces was in Namibia, when on holiday. Now i am back in South Africa. Thanks for the advise, will download the software and go through it.
2018-8-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-9 17:15
Charissa.
As BHP mention about using Cyber Power Direct. I also use it and another called  Davinci Resolve which is a pretty powerful editor to use. It is free
Power Direct has thousands of effects that can be used and are free from   Director Zone

Thank u. Do u think that software and editing programs can also affect the outcome of the video quality to some extend?
2018-8-10
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-10 04:08
Thank u. Do u think that software and editing programs can also affect the outcome of the video quality to some extend?

From what I have seen on the forum and how these guys have used the editing to make great improvements to their video. I feel the quality of the videos are greatly improved.
Being slightly color blind(red, greens and brown) I don't make to many changes to the video. I sometime use a  DJI luts. in DaVinci to make the video pop a little.
2018-8-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-10 08:03
From what I have seen on the forum and how these guys have used the editing to make great improvements to their video. I feel the quality of the videos are greatly improved.
Being slightly color blind(red, greens and brown) I don't make to many changes to the video. I sometime use a  DJI luts. in DaVinci to make the video pop a little.

Then i should get my video editing skills up to standard. I have been doing photo editing with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop cc for years, but no proper video editing at all. Coming from a photo editing background, i often look for gradients, to improve the sky, by either removing noise, or darkening exposure with one stop, but can not do it with the videos.
I downloaded quite a few LUTs, but it seems as if it gives me that banding, tearing effect in the videos.
Maybe i am a still too stuck on photography, and editing. It is definitely two very different kettle of fish, i will tell you.
I can be to critical of flaws for my own good, so see all the tiny little color faults, tearing, pixelation, noisiness............
2018-8-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Great footage, thank you! There are many very good tutorial videos on how to adjust the DJI GO 4 settings to achieve great footage (gimbal speed, yaw etc.). Look out for them and you will make great progress.
2018-8-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-10 08:36
Great footage, thank you! There are many very good tutorial videos on how to adjust the DJI GO 4 settings to achieve great footage (gimbal speed, yaw etc.). Look out for them and you will make great progress.

Thank u kindly. I have done all the sensitivity settings, yaw movement to 35 etc. Still too rough with the sticks though. Suppose i have to practice a lot more.
2018-8-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-10 09:06
Thank u kindly. I have done all the sensitivity settings, yaw movement to 35 etc. Still too rough with the sticks though. Suppose i have to practice a lot more.

Use Cinematic Mode in the Quickshot Menu, that helps a lot. Tripod is also nice but too slow for many purposes.
2018-8-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-10 12:25
Use Cinematic Mode in the Quickshot Menu, that helps a lot. Tripod is also nice but too slow for many purposes.

Thanks, will test it this weekend.
2018-8-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-10 12:35
Thanks, will test it this weekend.

Cinematic Mode is what I use as favourite when filming. Most of the other quickshots are less interesting for me because I prefer to fly manually as much as I can.
2018-8-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-10 12:42
Cinematic Mode is what I use as favourite when filming. Most of the other quickshots are less interesting for me because I prefer to fly manually as much as I can.

I take it Cinematic Mode is just a quickshot mode, that slow the yaw, pitch etc movement way down?
2018-8-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-11 03:58
I take it Cinematic Mode is just a quickshot mode, that slow the yaw, pitch etc movement way down?

Yes, it also makes a smooth acceleration and braking. All movements are smoothened. Just the gimbal speed you need to set separately.
2018-8-11
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-11 09:22
Yes, it also makes a smooth acceleration and braking. All movements are smoothened. Just the gimbal speed you need to set separately.

Thanks. Is Tripod just a slower version of Cinematic mode? Everything else the same?
Appreciate your help.
2018-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-20 03:40
Thanks. Is Tripod just a slower version of Cinematic mode? Everything else the same?
Appreciate your help.

Almost, in addition to lower speed also the stick movements are less responsive for obtaining very smooth moves.
2018-9-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job, nice colours.
2018-9-20
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Very lovely footage. Thank You so much
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-20 08:20
Almost, in addition to lower speed also the stick movements are less responsive for obtaining very smooth moves.

Thanks. Was wondering exactly what is the difference, as i could not really notice the difference while flying. Maybe because  I am a bit harsh with the sticks.
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-20 08:37
Nicely done - thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much.
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Thank you, appreciate.
2018-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-20 08:50
Thanks. Was wondering exactly what is the difference, as i could not really notice the difference while flying. Maybe because  I am a bit harsh with the sticks.

Then Tripod mode is made for you ;-)
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-20 08:52
Then Tripod mode is made for you ;-)

I tend to think so too.
2018-9-20
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Nice 1st video.. Like the others said.. practice practice practice..  Some pilots are very skilled while others like me are continuing to learn and get better every flight.  You will get a feel for what YOU think looks good after a while.  This forum has a lot of content creators that can inspire you as well..  
2018-9-20
Use props
msisrael
lvl.4
United States

Nice job.  You might enjoy this collection of drone videos from Namibia:

AirVuz Namibia Collection
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

msisrael Posted at 2018-9-20 13:57
Nice job.  You might enjoy this collection of drone videos from Namibia:

AirVuz Namibia Collection

Thanks. I did go through some of them. Beautiful. Namibia is worth a visit.
2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules