Crash after latest firmware (1.1.9) update!!!
3050 17 2015-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
du
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69747 ft

Portugal

Guys, today was a good sunny day, so i take my drone to fly outside to test the altest firmware 1.1.9, well the update process went normally like the previous ones, this was my 7º time flying this aircraft, altough i have a lot of expereince controlling these devices, everything went smooth, i was testing rotation and stability, when suddendly the P3 went in full speed against the wall... but i was able to rotate it a little before the crash...

I broke all the 4 props, have a dent on camera corner (not a big deal), the aircraft stills working normally, was the first time something weird happened.

You can check the video here:

Im uploading the flight data to DJI, i think is better to wait to get any response to check what went bad.

I was flying without vision position system, the battery was about 40%, the outside temperature was about 30º C.
2015-5-25
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

As much as I can empathize with your pain I can't help but wonder why you were making those extreme movements is such an enclosed space.  
2015-5-25
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I think a future release of the firmware will actually let you fly through walls.
Update:  Look up in the sky at the end of the video.  You can clearly see a white contrail in the sky.  I believe your P3 was shot down.
2015-5-25
Use props
bebbi
lvl.2

Monaco

P3 are not designed to perform stunts, i'm not surprised you have smashed it.
Just imagine somebody throw you around like this, i don't believe you stay straight for a second.
2015-5-25
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

My guess would be that the compass was not calibrated or the steel in those structures threw off the compass?

Or perhaps a momentary radio link fail.
2015-5-25
Use props
du
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69747 ft

Portugal

It is not steel, but stone, about interference i cannot believe that was the reason, and i already flown in more small spaces than that...

it just sped itself...
2015-5-25
Use props
war550
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really?     
Just take responsibility for your mistake and offer whatever it costs to repair your quad. This is a part of the reason that DJI is hesitant to honor claims. It's never the pilot's fault. It was only a matter of time. Very wreckless! Sorry....
2015-5-25
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Sorry for the damage to your Phantom

I'm a little confused, didn't you just speed up and fly to the left of you at high speed, turn around and then fly back towards yourself and try to do the same (turn around) but then get too close to the wall and it hits the wall?

When flying towards yourself, it is very difficult to see how fast you are actually flying (it is an optical thing just as it is difficult to see how close your Phantom is to a tree that is far away). The speed can come as a bit surprise when it suddenly is close to you and you don't have time to react.

I've done something similar with a cheaper 'training' quadcopter - and crashed it. If you fly towards yourself you can't easily see how fast it is actually going. I know it does not help you, but it might help others; I urge people to take it slow with the Phantom and fly something cheaper and more disposable if you want to push the envelope.

Most importantly; is the Phantom okay, except for the props and a few scratches? If so; I think you got off cheap. Something like that might very well destroy something vital. Breaking the gimbal/camera might cost close to 50% of a new P3 and you might have to be without your P3 for a long time when in for repair...

I highly doubt this is firmware-related. Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

Good luck  
2015-5-25
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Reminds me of Physics class , something to do with centrifugal force and a object in motion stays in motion ....  When practicing with any drone , get a wide open area with nothing to get in your way .....
2015-5-25
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Sorry for the damage to your Phantom.
I use your 2 e-mail addresses to check the record and cannot find the logs....Who did you send them to?
2015-5-25
Use props
Wurwag
New

Finland

hmm... could it be the famous "invalid user error"?
2015-5-25
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That really does not look like a P3 fault, just looks like you flew it into a wall!.. Can you post the controller telemetry for us to see what was happening when it attempted to go through a wall?
2015-5-26
Use props
memelivorno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

Really you make a claim for this?
2015-5-26
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

PILOT ERROR! You just dont fly at that speed with that small area.
2015-5-26
Use props
edgarcparra
lvl.1

United States

Learn to fly guy.
2015-5-26
Use props
yale
lvl.1

United States

Yeah sorry, thats all pilot error.  You can see what you were doing on the sticks when you're in the map of the flight record.  Just click the little controller icon and you can see what you were doing when it crashed.  Unless your hands were completely off the sticks for the 5 seconds before it crashed, its on you.
2015-5-26
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I truly don't get these guys. Crashing into trees, their own houses, you name it. DJI goes and comes out with a quad copter with more than a km or range if not more and they go and dick around in places where they should be using a syma x5c or hubsan h107c. Or hell, if they really must have a picture of their bedroom window or the tree next to their house, use a freaking step ladder. Maybe I'm missing out on some real excitement crashing into trees 20 feet from where I stand. What is the DJI procedure for pilot brain calibration?
2015-6-2
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I propose a DJI "Darwin Awards" Forum
2015-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules