Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone CRASH
2965 39 2018-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2c943a5c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 555725 ft
United States

Be careful Mavic Plat users, I lost my $1,400 investment while taking pictures over a lake.  I took off using GPS and was flying in an authorized zone.  In the middle of the flight (10 minutes) according to DJI, the license expired and triggered an auto landing.  This cant be overridden !!!!  Well, 15 seconds later and over a huge lake the drone descended and was lost.  DJI called it pilot error.  They didn't want to hear anything.  Their license expired mid flight and landed my investment in the middle of a lake.  I guess i purposely caused the license to expire mid flight and decided to purposely crash and sink my $1,400 inestment.  SO, beware of your pricey investments.
2018-8-9
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I'm just curious, so pardon the side track here. What license expired? I'm not sure I've ever seen a license in my MP, so if this is a thing to look out for, I'm just curious where the license is and when does it expire?
2018-8-9
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

So you unlocked a zone? and you went back later and it expired while you were there the 2nd or 3rd time whichever? I'm trying to figure out why this is DJI's fault
2018-8-9
Use props
fans2c943a5c
lvl.1
United States

This was there last message to me:

DJI Support (Support)

8月9日 CEST19:03

Hi XXXX,

Good day! I hope you're doing fine.

On behalf of DJI I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced. This has been very frustrating to me as I am assigned to accomplish whatever issue that you are having but I already exhausted all the resources to meet what we are asking for but the decision is logical and it has been the feedback of the Repair Team who analyzes the records. I have been very eager to push for a favorable resolution but the data that they have says it all. I am writing this email to finalize this issue that we cannot accommodate your request due to fault on your behalf. The conclusion of the data analysis was Pilot Fault. The aircraft worked in GPS mode in the flight, flew in the Authorization Zone,the license expired at the middle of the flight.At t=10:14,h=26 m,d=1042 m,LANDING was triggered due to the FLY-LIMIT ZONE. Pilot pushed pitch stick forward,the aircraft descended and flew forward,and crashed into water at t=11:07,h=-21 m,d=716 m.

I know this is very inconvenient for you. To extend our help with this, we can offer a 15% discount if you want to purchase another drone. Thank you so much for your kind understanding.

Best Regards,

Charles
Manager, DJI Customer Support
2018-8-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

What an interesting story again. Please upload your flightrecord to this site and share the link with us: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
You'll find your flightrecord in a DJI subfolder on your mobile device. Once we can see that, we shall be able to tell you what might have expired during that flight...
2018-8-9
Use props
fans2c943a5c
lvl.1
United States

The pilot (me) had no clue why the craft was descending.  I tried two times to override it, both denying me.  I flew forward for maybe 5-8 seconds in an attempt to bring it back.  It was descending on its own !!!!  NOT because i pushed the pitch stick forward !!!!!  Who the hell can land a craft in like 15 seconds over water ?
2018-8-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

fans2c943a5c Posted at 2018-8-9 13:06
The pilot (me) had no clue why the craft was descending.  I tried two times to override it, both denying me.  I flew forward for maybe 5-8 seconds in an attempt to bring it back.  It was descending on its own !!!!  NOT because i pushed the pitch stick forward !!!!!  Who the hell can land a craft in like 15 seconds over water ?

Please post your flightrecord as suggested above. I am almost 100% sure to know what has happened and to explain it to you but I first need to see the flightrecord.
2018-8-9
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-9 13:05
What an interesting story again. Please upload your flightrecord to this site and share the link with us: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
You'll find your flightrecord in a DJI subfolder on your mobile device. Once we can see that, we shall be able to tell you what might have expired during that flight...

ya this is really strange. Only thing i can think of is my reply but i have been wrong before.

Reason i don't use DJI Go 4 crap app anyway.
2018-8-9
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a platinum and have never had to have a license.  What license are you talking about?
2018-8-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Correction: No more need to post your flightrecord since you have posted the DJI analysis already here above. I have nothing to add to it and it is very clear. I am nevertheless very sorry for your crash, it is a very painful lesson.
2018-8-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-9 13:19
ya this is really strange. Only thing i can think of is my reply but i have been wrong before.

I believe your reply was correct.
2018-8-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Two questions: Did you know Date & Time the license would expire?  Did license expire prematurely?
2018-8-9
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

I guess let this be a lesson for others. If you unlock a zone using the crappy DJI Go 4 app down use it past the expiration time. This is what happens (I think).

Again i do not use the crappy DJI Go 4 app to fly anymore. I do however remember it well.
2018-8-9
Use props
Jfduck
lvl.1
United States

I still have no idea what license they're talking about.  Why would anyone fly having knowledge their license was going to expire over water?  Come on?  Nothing alerted me, nothing stopped me from taking off.  Just told me it was automatically landing.  How could I.....or anyone for that matter, stop or correct this for the future?
2018-8-9
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I don’t believe there is a license will expire to use DJI Go. Only reasonable guess is license to fly in restricted zone. Need to see the flight log about where it fly to confirm. DJI should explain what is the license for and why it expired in the middle of flight.
2018-8-9
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

There was a Spark pilot Leo Kowal  on  a Facebook group a couple of weeks ago that this happened to also  and he had  entered a restricted NFZ but had unlocked it   for 24 hrs and it expired before he was able  to get out  and it was over the ocean and it just hovered a few feet  from a pier until the battery died and it fell into the sea.
2018-8-9
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

You can unlock for 24 hrs or 72 hrs.

2018-8-9
Use props
Jfduck
lvl.1
United States

I didnt have to unlock anything......I had no prior warning until it was telling me it was auto landing.  Just not right.  Hey, if i deliberately bypassed or ignored a warning shame on me BUT not in this case.  I wonder how many other drone pilots lost their craft like this.   
2018-8-9
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

He shouldn’t be able to fly in the red zone or takeoff in there without unlocking. Without flight log can’t tell what’s happen.
2018-8-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-9 13:19
ya this is really strange. Only thing i can think of is my reply but i have been wrong before.

which app are you using rolling?
2018-8-10
Use props
MFPF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 240413 ft
United States

Yes, I am am curious as to what app you are using Rolling and what you you like about it over dji go.
2018-8-10
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-9 13:51
I guess let this be a lesson for others. If you unlock a zone using the crappy DJI Go 4 app down use it past the expiration time. This is what happens (I think).

Again i do not use the crappy DJI Go 4 app to fly anymore. I do however remember it well.

If you no longer use DJI Go 4, what are you using please?
2018-8-10
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

TX99517 Posted at 2018-8-9 13:22
I have a platinum and have never had to have a license.  What license are you talking about?

It is an authorized "unlock" of a no fly zone. The unlock of the zone is only good for a period of time. It appears as though he was flying at the time it expired. DJI provides you the time frame that the unlock is good for.
2018-8-10
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-8-10 01:08
which app are you using rolling?

The version i use will not work with the Air models in NFZ mode but will with most of the other DJI models at this time. I use the NLD version of the Go 4 app and f/w 01.03.0700 So basically just like my Mavic was when i took it out of the box in May 2017.
2018-8-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-10 03:21
The version i use will not work with the Air models in NFZ but will with most of the other DJI models at this time. I use the NLD version of the Go 4 app and f/w 01.03.0400 So basically just like my Mavic was when i took it out of the box in May 2017.

Thanks for the info Rolling
2018-8-10
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you would like assistance from the community to help understand what happened with your flight from an unbiased perspective, I would suggest uploading your flight record log from your phone/tablet to the following site and then pasting the resulting URL here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Once you do that, we can analyze what may have happened and provide feedback that may help you with your communication with DJI or help you to prevent what happened from occurring again in the future.
2018-8-10
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bill B Posted at 2018-8-10 02:07
It is an authorized "unlock" of a no fly zone. The unlock of the zone is only good for a period of time. It appears as though he was flying at the time it expired. DJI provides you the time frame that the unlock is good for.

Ok, I have never attempted to try and fly in a NFZ.
2018-8-10
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Captain
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

Just curious, as I have newer asked to unlock my bird to fly in a no fly zone, if this is a license, does the expiration time show on your device, like some type of warning.  I get a low battery warning, I get high wind warning warning.  If you are using this application, and it is about to expire, how about a automatic RTH?  Again, I don't know how this really works!  But just asking a few questions here.
2018-8-10
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Hmmm after reading all this, i think im just never gonna fly in a zone that needs unlocking, dont trust dji go 4 app here, they might easily count the time wrong. Its a risk im not willing to take. Just avoid those areas.
Safe Flying
2018-8-10
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
United States

TX99517 Posted at 2018-8-10 11:36
Ok, I have never attempted to try and fly in a NFZ.

Neither have I, and judging from what this post offers, I may never give it a go. I am fortunate to live in an area where there is little traffic. Both WiFi and air planes. Great for flying drones. Having said that I would NEVER recommend anyone move here to the butthole of the universe called.... Western NY. 6 months of winter, and 6 months of getting ready for it. SUCKS!
2018-8-10
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-8-10 14:26
Just curious, as I have newer asked to unlock my bird to fly in a no fly zone, if this is a license, does the expiration time show on your device, like some type of warning.  I get a low battery warning, I get high wind warning warning.  If you are using this application, and it is about to expire, how about a automatic RTH?  Again, I don't know how this really works!  But just asking a few questions here.

No it does not show on the devise. It is active for 24 hours or 72 hours. They will tell you which. You need to possess a part 107 FAA license and call or apply for the Waiver.
2018-8-10
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
United States

Alexey Batalov Posted at 2018-8-10 15:15
Hmmm after reading all this, i think im just never gonna fly in a zone that needs unlocking, dont trust dji go 4 app here, they might easily count the time wrong. Its a risk im not willing to take. Just avoid those areas.
Safe Flying

Agree 100%
2018-8-10
Use props
Bill B
First Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-8-9 23:10
He shouldn’t be able to fly in the red zone or takeoff in there without unlocking. Without flight log can’t tell what’s happen.

Agree, The only reason we need to have this type of government on our hobby is the fact that all of us, are paying the price for a few of us. We are all paying for the Casey NUTSACKs of the world who chose poorly to fly like idiots in areas of risk. So like all things of this world. They make rules and regulations to handcuff all of us, Rather that fine and prosecute the perpetrators for their actions.
2018-8-10
Use props
MFPF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 240413 ft
United States

Thanks Rolling, appreciate the info.
2018-8-11
Use props
rolling56
Captain
United States

MFPF Posted at 2018-8-11 05:38
Thanks Rolling, appreciate the info.

Best $25 accessory i have bought for my Mavic Pros
2018-8-11
Use props
kowal63
First Officer
Flight distance : 579843 ft
  • >>>
United States

my incident was almost identical to mine,,,,the similarities wow....check out my incident happened July 13th....

kowal63 Posted at 2018-7-13 07:03
spark geofence error

Kowal,

Wow! wow! wow! What a fight!

Let me re-enact last 3.5 minutes of your Spark's life:
9m 59 sec – Return home warning – battery low

10m 2 sec – you stop flying.

10m 9 sec – drone starts automatic RTH sequence tripped by low battery power. This is correct action.

10m 12 sec – automatic heading alignment in the direction of home point is completed – drone starts flying back but skims along geo-fence unable to penetrate it. It is not flying in the direction it is pointing to (home point) but rather along the geo-fence getting closer to home.

This is bad but consistent with behaviour observed in case https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152623

You are not providing any stick input – just waiting for Spark to do its job.

11m 21 sec – Spark is near closest point to home on the other side of the fence – its further progress along the fence would only take it further away. So it stops.

11m 22 sec – You switch to Sport mode thus cancelling RTH (which was useless anyways) but you do not touch sticks. Nothing happens since nothing can happen.

11m 24 sec – Spark initiates auto-landing due to critical battery level. Altitude 45 metres. You are not touching your sticks.

11m 28 sec – You start turning camera down – but still no directional input for drone.

11m 33 sec – Finally you decide to take control and start flying Spark – you cannot get through geo-fence – your actions are chaotic – Spark is going down.

11m 41 sec – You give up. Spark is 17 metres above water and landing with speed about 1 m/s.

11m 46 sec – You direct Spark to fly up. It obeys. You do it for half a second only and than watch in horror as Spark continues is journey down.

Few more chaotic stick movements follow but Spark is pretty much stuck and going down.

12 m 11 sec – 5 metres above water. You attempt to raise the elevation and you succeed. Battery is down to 6%

13 m 22 sec – You got Spark 53 metres up, you are facing roughly good direction and you are trying like crazy to fly home. Geo-fence stops you. Battery level is 0%. Doom is almost inevitable.

13m 31 sec – forced landing due to no power left.

Your Spark sinks while your right thumb is on full throttle forward in your direction but Spark is being stopped by geo-fence.

This was extremely well done and good fight. Congratulations!

I suspect that had you hit RTH again while Spark was stuck at the fence - it would have flown through it as was in case of 62+. However, I do not know for sure since 62+ case was slightly different - his geo-fence was not enforced airport geo-fence but rather geo-fence he set himself by setting max flight distance in DJI GO App. I strongly suspect that behaviour would be the same (that is - success) but I am not sure.

If you have warranty I would be very surprised if DJI would not honor it.

This is very clearly DJI design error which prevented you from safe landing despite quite heroic efforts.
DJI allowed you to operate within restricted space and yet, once you flew out, they did not allow you to come back. Very, very clear error on DJI part.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your success with DJI.

Mirek
2018-9-13
Use props
kowal63
First Officer
Flight distance : 579843 ft
  • >>>
United States

here is the airdata flight record to mine...wow...the similarities

geofence water bye bye
2018-9-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-9 13:51

Rolling that's the thing I admire of you,, you speak your mind and I for one admire that.
2018-9-14
Use props
sorens
lvl.1
United States

I can confirm that DJI Go 4 will lock you out of a yellow NFZ without warning. I had received permission the day before to take off from a yellow NFZ. Did a number of flights without problem. The following day, probably 23h 45m following the NFZ unlock, I took off, and on RTH 20 mins later it just skated the boundary of the NFZ. I was in a densely wooded area, and fortunately found a dirt road to land on with barely any battery left, but it was 2000m away from me as the Mavic flies, and 20 minutes by car to get to.

This would be an easy programming fix for DJI:
1. Is Mavic in yellow NFZ? Yes -> 2. Does Mavic have permission to fly in yellow NFZ? Yes -> 3. Is permission to fly in yellow NFZ going to expire in 30 minutes? Yes -> ALERT THE USER THAT ONCE YOU LEAVE THE NFZ YOU AREN'T COMING BACK
2018-11-1
Use props
Brycenhiga
lvl.1

United States

This same problem just happened to me while flying my Mavic Mini...

I live near an airport in Long Beach, California which requires an authorization zone to be unlocked. I usually fly around my neighborhood for some practice and fun while following the regulations. Each time I fly the drone here I must use unlock the zone through DJI's website prior to flying. A self unlock usually last about 72 hours until it expires it also depends on location and different authorization zones.

I flew the drone and and about 10 minutes into flying the license expires and the Mavic Mini completely locks me out so I have no control of the drone. Luckily the drone landed on a neighbors house which I was able to retrieve.

My solution or tip for DJI: We should be able to Return to home and land the drone or send a notification or alert that the license will be expiring soon.

Pilots solution: Be sure to always check your license if you are flying in restricted areas.

2020-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules