Ground Station Home Point
1893 7 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

Does anyone know if while in ground station mode if the home point is actually a waypoint or does it represent where the controller is located?
My question is because I need to video 2 miles of roadway, a straight line and would like to do it in one non stop flight. So I was thinking I could set my way point to the end of the two miles, put the controller in the truck and keep the controller in range of the Phantom during the recording.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck

2014-9-18
Use props
srl
New

China

rc controller has no gps, so the home point is just a waypoint.  

you could set the home point 2miles away, but it may be dangerous if your rc lost signal.

i think you could update the home point by swith s2

if app could set the phone position to be home point, it will very useful for roadway video
2014-9-18
Use props
srl
New

China

rc controller has no gps, so the home point is just a waypoint.  

you could set the home point 2miles away, but it may be dangerous if your rc lost signal.

i think you could update the home point by swith s2

if app could set the phone position to be home point, it will very useful for roadway video
2014-9-18
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

Thanks SRL, I'll have to try the s2 switch update position and see if that works.
2014-9-19
Use props
ztp
New

United States

Good Luck! Please let us know how it works for you.
2014-9-19
Use props
Tazdevil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43074 ft
  • >>>
Canada

mmmmm , interesting anyway
2014-9-19
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed, traveling alongside it, or just behind, sounds like a safe plan. Then toggling s2 to reset home point at the end would work perfectly. Just get used to the toggle speed/pattern of the s2 home point reset function. It is a bit tricky at first. At least it was for me. Timing is everything.

The other thing that  would work great here, providing it is a perfectly straight line you need, is switching into NAZA-M mode and using course lock. This is actually a perfect example of when course lock will come in handy. Have you looked into IOC? Again, only helpful if it is truly a straight line, but it may help you. Opposed to waypoint flying, in course lock you can control yaw movement while traveling in a controlled straight line path. Waypoints do not offer this control.
2014-9-19
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for the suggestions... I flew it yesterday before I read these replies.. I sat in the back of the truck and flew it in normal operation mode, it was working great until it reached the boundary limit so it just stopped and wouldn't go further. I think I saw someplace to change the distance for the limit but didn't do that yet. I just landed it there and went back up to finish the video.  I'm guessing the s2 toggle would have done the trick if I had done that before it reached it's limit. Next time I'll read up on the NAZA-M and course lock and see if that works.
2014-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules