Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lens glare Problem
1495 14 2018-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex Tsampas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 774603 ft
Greece

Hi guys,
I have an issue with my Phantom 3 pro camera after update firmware to latest version
I noticed a lens glare with flickering lines inside that circle as you can see at my pictures and video.
Please note that I am not in direct sunlight.I don't get that all the time but it comes and goes even in straight course.
P3P Firmware v1.11.20

Any ideas ?
Thank you

Alex

DJI_0027.jpg
DJI_0043.jpg
2018-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That looks like you have something in or on the lens.
2018-8-10
Use props
Alex Tsampas
lvl.3
Greece

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-10 00:54
That looks like you have something in or on the lens.

Thanks, my lens is clear, maybe it is from sensor.
2018-8-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Iran

Carefully remove the outer lens and clean the inside and out of that outer lens as well as the inner camera lens. If you find the outer lens is hard to unscrew ... DON'T grip so hard !! Its very thin alloy and if you grip too hard - it won't unscrew.

Best to clean lens - eyeglass cloth ... do not use fluids or sprays ...

The spot seems to be slightly different position in photos between the two ... I cannot view the video for the lines you mention as I am in a location that blocks all Youtube / Vimeo vids.

It may be caused by bringing the camera out of house with Aircon - into the heatwave weather you're having ... condensation inside that lens.

Nigel
2018-8-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the inconvenience that you have faced, Regarding with your concern I watched the video that you include what I notice the glare or something and its change the position as well but just a minimal, we can say it may be a dirt residue or it may condensation as well, since you've already tried to check as well on the lens. may I ask have you try to use an ND filter?
2018-8-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

You need to clean your lens
2018-8-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Alex Tsampas Posted at 2018-8-10 02:44

No, if it was on the sensor it would be in focus.
2018-8-10
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

if you check some old footage is there any sign of the issue at all i.e. spot may be smaller.
Any sign of marks when you took outer lens off (solentlife post 4#) ?
2018-8-10
Use props
Alex Tsampas
lvl.3
Greece

I checked my lens and i found it clear.
If you watch my above video at 00:02sec till 00:03sec
glare is disappearing for that 1 sec without changing angle.
So it can not be something on the lens.I have never taken outer lens off.
I haven't found solution.Thank you for your replies.
2018-8-13
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Alex Tsampas Posted at 2018-8-13 00:46
[view_image]

I checked my lens and i found it clear.

Does it do the same thing when the drone is facing away from the sun?
It difficult to pin point what the cause could be but if it happens when drone is flying away from the sun then you could have a fault with the cameras sensor.
If it only happens when the outer lens or camera lens has sunlight on it then it definatly looks like a dust particle or some form of foreign object in front of the camera
2018-8-13
Use props
Alex Tsampas
lvl.3
Greece

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-13 01:02
Does it do the same thing when the drone is facing away from the sun?
It difficult to pin point what the cause could be but if it happens when drone is flying away from the sun then you could have a fault with the cameras sensor.
If it only happens when the outer lens or camera lens has sunlight on it then it definatly looks like a dust particle or some form of foreign object in front of the camera

I have not noticed differences from flying type or lens angle.
You can watch another video, if that helps.Thank you

2018-8-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Hong Kong

Just a comment :

It does not need outer lens to be removed for condensation drop potential on the inside. Change of environment and temperature can cause the air between the two to cause a misty drop on either camera or outer lens ...
Standing the camera in one condition for time ... move to a different and it can happen.

It is possible to do a quick check of flying WITHOUT the outer lens ... seriously - yes you can ... take a similar video and see if the blemish is still there ...

Nigel
2018-8-13
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Alex Tsampas Posted at 2018-8-13 02:46
I have not noticed differences from flying type or lens angle.
You can watch another video, if that helps.Thank you

Usually the lenses used in this type of camera are made up of more than one piece of glass.  They have numerous elements with different curves ground on them, stacked upon each other to converge the light rays in a particular way.  
lens.png
You may have a droplet of water condensation on one of these elements which caused a hazy spot when it dried.   It would be difficult or impossible to see from the outside.  Have you ever flown in locations where the humidity has suddenly changed?    Taking it from an air-conditioned car to a humid park would qualify.  Have you crashed on water or ever flown in the rain?

Theoretically a lens can be dismantled, the elements disassembled and cleaned, but it is a massively difficult and fiddly process.  It would be easier and cheaper to find a replacement lens if that is the problem.

Have you checked that it isn't something silly like a fingerprint on the glass?  Sometimes they aren't that obvious, and shooting into the sun can exaggerate it.

Your photo of the camera looks like it was shot using a potato and rendered in 16 colours.  It is hard to tell but there appear to be a couple areas of concern which may just be reflections or other artifacts.
smudge.png

This phenomenon is correctly called lens flare.  It is when a bright light like the sun hits the lens elements on an oblique angle and causes spots and smears to stack upon themselves.  In your post #11 you can see a line of them on the top half of the video, all lining up to the large spot on the bottom half.  As you fly towards the light source the flares show up.  If you turn away from the sun, they will disappear as the side of the lens housing shades the lens from direct light.  If you tend to shoot video or take photos towards lighting, you can benefit from adding a lens hood to your camera to shade the elements.  They do make them for the P3 and are cheaply available on eBay, etc. for about a dollar or so.
hood.png

In your videos, where you see the spot breaking up with horizontal lines, this is actually the spinning propeller providing shading as it is spinning at just the right angle.  When it disappears, the arm will be solidly shading the lens.  You can see the spot fade in when it returns in the first example as the aircraft rotates slightly and stabilizes on its heading.  The large spot changes position on all your videos up and down slightly, but more left and right.  This will be because you aren't changing the (up and down) tilt very much, but are flying on different headings into the sun.  This suggests to me that the primary reflection is off the front curved lens element inside the housing.   You might find that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your lenses, but this is just the behaviour of the camera when you shoot towards the sun.

2018-8-13
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Alex Tsampas Posted at 2018-8-10 02:44

My guess, the sensor. Sometimes it happens that some "crap" could land on the sensor when it's fabricated. I have seen this with a few DSLR cameras as well, it's very rear. ..
2018-8-13
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft

I also noticed the prop flicker, then the spot seemed to disappear. I like Nigel's suggestion the best; remove that lens protector, clean the lens and fly another test without the protector.

I used the rubber band method method to remove mine. It produces an even amount of pressure around the ring and it comes off. I heard of one guy who resorted to a pair of pliers and ruined his lens.
2018-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules