Brand New Mavic stolen
12Next >
4761 54 2018-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_IqnRFHHR7IkU
lvl.1

Lost my new Mavic pro which was delivered to my front porch. Looks like it was stolen. Is there any way to find it? I never even saw the box, so will Dji be able to block the activation at all? Will the person still be able to use the stolen drone since it was never registered? Curious to know if Dji care can be purchased if the person manages to activate it. What are the potential solutions to this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
2018-8-11
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Unfortunately there is nothing dji can do without the serial number from the drone and even then i dont think they will do anything.
Your best option is to contact your local police but again without a serial number your chances of getting it back are very slim.
First thing you can try tho is to contact the delivery company and see what they can do to help ie insurance etc.
I really dont like your chances of finding it without some form of proof as to who took it.
Maybe go speak to a few of your neighbors one of them may have seen something.
2018-8-11
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Basically, you're screwed. Unless you bought it from DJI, they won't know what the serial number is and they don't seem to be too helpful with stolen drones.
2018-8-11
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Check with neighbors who have security cameras.  Who was the delivery company and how do you know it was actually delivered. since you never saw the box ? You can get security cameras now for around $20

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/

2018-8-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3 S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Contact DJI, they have the serial number, and can stop activation. But who knows if they will? Chances are they ( the ones who took it) won't activate it, they'll sell it online.
2018-8-11
Use props
Baldpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8409 ft
United States

Security cameras are an excellent idea! Inexpensive insurance/proof.
2018-8-11
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Call the retailer for the SN. And, what shipper will leave an expensive package without a signature?
2018-8-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello, we are sorry to hear about that unfortunate event. I would to clarify, may I know where did you purchase your drone?
2018-8-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3 S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-11 16:29
Call the retailer for the SN. And, what shipper will leave an expensive package without a signature?

The shipper doesn't know the value of the packages they deliver. So it's up to the seller or buyer to require a signature for delivery.
2018-8-11
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.
If you can't find any surveillance video in the neighbor hood I would be checking with Internet sellers like eBay and Craigslist. With Craigslist the seller will be someone in your city or county. With eBay the city is listed for the seller. I have heard that the police use that method to fine stolen property.
Hope you can get your Mavic bad.
2018-8-11
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

I thought that DJI always deliver their stuff w/ signature confirmation or they change their delivery style now.
I remember when I order my MP and even my LNP props, I have to sign for delivery confirmation.
Or, someone was waiting and signed for it.

2018-8-11
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always have my packages delivered to my workplace.
I can't even imagine having a package, let alone an expensive one, left on my porch.
You gotta cover your back side, especially in today's times.
People (Thieves) will drive around looking for packages and will even follow delivery trucks.
2018-8-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, Eagle_Eye is right, if the drone is purchased from the DJI Official online store, we will need customer's signature confirmation. Please double confirm with your express company to see if the package has been delivered to your house, if yes, please check the surveillance video around your house and call the police for assistance. At this time, we are unable to block the activation, DJI Care Refresh can be purchased with the serial number. Wish you good luck.
2018-8-11
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

I’m actually surprised you did not have to sign for it usually something that expensive you dI.
2018-8-11
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The Mavic Pro remains a hot item currently in the world of consumer electronics. Funny thing, a well known national store-chain had the Mavic Pro on sale for $799 (tax included) in March. I phoned the store head of time to hold one, when I got to the store they informed me someone had stolen my drone they reserved right out of the store. The box was the only remaining part, so I had to wait several weeks thereafter for them to get another one in stock to sell me. The good news is I got a rain check even though the price when I bought it went back up to $999.

The manager told me this wasn't the first Mavic Pro they had that was stolen out of the store. I bet if you crunched the numbers, we would see that the Mavic Pro likely is one of, if not the largest, most stolen consumer product out. The store said the stolen Mavic Pro is a phenomenon, although I doubt it comes even close to the era of stolen car radios that existed all over the world during the 1980s. Back then from 1980-1987 most car stereos would be stripped out of the dashboard, but German cars began instituting a removable face plate to car stereos (like Bose & Blaupunkt) and soon Sony and the rest did as well and that turned the wave to where radios today are not stolen as much.

Maybe DJI should think about implementing some kind of removable part making the drone unable to fly or operate? It seems the solution easily enough would be to lock the device in event it becomes lost or stolen? I initially had the understanding that if my drone had become lost all that needed to be done was phone DJI to report the drone missing and the rest would be taken care of? Now I fly with just a little less comfort knowing there is less incentive for founders or thieves of drones not to return them as property back to the original owner.
2018-8-11
Use props
djiuser_IqnRFHHR7IkU
lvl.1

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-11 16:30
Hello, we are sorry to hear about that unfortunate event. I would to clarify, may I know where did you purchase your drone?

Purchased it from the Dji website.
2018-8-11
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-11 18:30
Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, Eagle_Eye is right, if the drone is purchased from the DJI Official online store, we will need customer's signature confirmation. Please double confirm with your express company to see if the package has been delivered to your house, if yes, please check the surveillance video around your house and call the police for assistance. At this time, we are unable to block the activation, DJI Care Refresh can be purchased with the serial number. Wish you good luck.

Does this mean DJI have the ability to block an owners Drone that has been lost or stolen after registration with DJI?
2018-8-11
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

djiuser_IqnRFHHR7IkU Posted at 2018-8-11 22:19
Purchased it from the Dji website.

In this case the courier service can be held accountable. They are not authorised to just leave a parcel on your porch.
2018-8-12
Use props
Alexey Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I think that dji cant block the drone at all. When i lost mine and asked them if it was used later on by someone (presumably the person that found it) they said they cant help me here and that its not possible for them to block the drones.
Safe Flying
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Celsus Posted at 2018-8-11 22:21
Does this mean DJI have the ability to block an owners Drone that has been lost or stolen after registration with DJI?

Hi Celsus, no, we are unable to block the activation in this situation, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-8-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

This seems like a fishing post.
2018-8-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

This won't get your aircraft back, but for future large purchases I suggest the following.

I've signed up with UPS, FedEx, and USPS as a "member" or "partner" so I can direct a package to be held at one of their commercial locations.  While it can seem to be a hassle to have to pick up something, I know it's not going to be stolen.  Doing so also reduces the frustration of missing the delivery and having to reschedule or go pick it up anyhow.

One other thought:  I usually pay with PayPal, or a major credit card.  You might check their policies and challenge the charge.  Technically you didn't receive the product ordered and they may refund your funds and take up the issue with the vendor.

2018-8-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-11 18:30
Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, Eagle_Eye is right, if the drone is purchased from the DJI Official online store, we will need customer's signature confirmation. Please double confirm with your express company to see if the package has been delivered to your house, if yes, please check the surveillance video around your house and call the police for assistance. At this time, we are unable to block the activation, DJI Care Refresh can be purchased with the serial number. Wish you good luck.

Hey Mindy.... Just requesting that you have your PR people look into this one further.  OP says he purchased from DJI online.  If so, I would expect that the invoice has the serial numbers associated with his purchase.  There may be some way to flag that number through DJI Refresh, Care, or other repair service you offer.  In addition, all of my DJI purchases required signatures at delivery.  That deserves looking into as well.  If he didn't sign for it, it wasn't delivered, right?  Thanks, as always.
2018-8-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-12 02:46
This seems like a fishing post.

If you meant "phishing" it's an interesting point.  A nice way to determine if stealing a drone delivery can be traced from the manufacturer!
2018-8-12
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Damn auto correct
2018-8-12
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

If in the USA you can have packages left at Walgreens and then go pick it up later when you have time. Something they started this summer i think. Call first before you order to be sure at your local Walgreens.
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

WebParrot Posted at 2018-8-12 04:20
This won't get your aircraft back, but for future large purchases I suggest the following.

I've signed up with UPS, FedEx, and USPS as a "member" or "partner" so I can direct a package to be held at one of their commercial locations.  While it can seem to be a hassle to have to pick up something, I know it's not going to be stolen.  Doing so also reduces the frustration of missing the delivery and having to reschedule or go pick it up anyhow.

I also believe there are options to get this solved with either the courier service (they must have an insurance) or the credit card company. But the courier service in my opinion is the first to be held accountable for the loss. As a matter of fact the registered shipment from DJI was not properly delivered.
2018-8-12
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 00:52
In this case the courier service can be held accountable. They are not authorised to just leave a parcel on your porch.

Unless the receiver authorized them in any ways to do so.
2018-8-12
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2018-8-12 04:58

I considered that, too.  Speaking from my experience only, FedEx wouldn't allow me to "pre-sign" or waive signature on DJI deliveries...  The only options I had was to have it held at a FedEx office or divert the delivery to a non-office location.  Both DJI and UPS give the shipper the option of "no-waive" signatures.   So, it may be carrier issues, or dependent on???? (FWIW, we don't know where OP is from)
2018-8-12
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 00:52
In this case the courier service can be held accountable. They are not authorised to just leave a parcel on your porch.

+1 Every purchase that I've made via DJI ALWAYS request a delivery signature
2018-8-12
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft

@djiuser_IqnRFHHR7IkU Whereabouts are you? In the US?
2018-8-12
Use props
DrMagical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 959879 ft
United Kingdom

In the UK it would be the retailers responsibility to ensure that it was delivered safely, in this situation the courier did not deliver it safely so your response would be contact DJI to post another or refund. Not sure what the law is in the USA?
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2018-8-12 04:58

OP remains surprisingly silent, the whole story starts to smell a bit, but of course I might be totally wrong...
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-8-12 05:43
+1 Every purchase that I've made via DJI ALWAYS request a delivery signature

Yes, exactly!
2018-8-12
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^ I've had a couple of small price items delivered to my home without signature but don't drones. Drones I've had to sign for them.
2018-8-12
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your loss, report it to the Police Station.
2018-8-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

DJIUSER has left the building.
2018-8-12
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Jake Phantom 3 S Posted at 2018-8-11 16:38
The shipper doesn't know the value of the packages they deliver. So it's up to the seller or buyer to require a signature for delivery.

Sorry Jake, it is up to the shipper to declare the value of the package to protect the buyer. Unless the buyer specifically authorized leaving the package without a signature, it's their issue to resolve. Now, if the buyer waived the signature, that was a big mistake.
No matter, clearly this guys is just making stuff up. No way DJI send this package uninsured without requiring a sig.
2018-8-13
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Norway

Some credit cards have a 3 month warranty for stolen/broken things. You might want to check that out.
2018-8-13
Use props
djiuser_IqnRFHHR7IkU
lvl.1

An update.
Apparently someone signed for it and neither my roommates or I know who that person actually is. Could have been a friend of a friend.
But to clarify the responses I have received, I understand that the drone cannot be blocked, could still be activated with s/n and they can purchase Dji care (if they have the knowledge for it in the first place). I got my money back from my credit card company which was my primary concern, I'm just thinking out loud about the fate of the lost drone. Looks like there's nothing Dji does about that, which I would imagine is a thin line to cross legally. The privacy and protection of the consumers (Example: Dji being able to remotely control/block your drone)

Thanks for the responses. Buying a new one soon most likely from the physical store, happy flying!
2018-8-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules