Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic footage maxing out RAM in Premiere
852 4 2018-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans000e33df
New
United States

Got a new Mavic Pro from Amazon a few months ago.  Haven't been able to edit any footage in Premiere Pro because once I start scrubbing through, my RAM maxes out and locks up the machine until I can get Premiere closed.  This was happening on my slightly older machine so I thought a new machine would help.  I now have an i9, 64 gb RAM, M2 drive, 1080ti, and more goodies.  Start a fresh project, put just one video from the Mavic in there... scrub along and same exact scenario happens.  I've done the whole "enable hardware accelerated decoding" bit.  Tried both ways and nothing.  Anybody?  Any clue?

2018-8-13
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It shouldnt crash once it runs out of RAM.  Worst case it should swap it out to disk.  Have you got lots of disk space remaining. Are you using any plugins?
You can configure max ram and resource usage in the preferences if you want to test but shouldnt have do to that.  Does this happen on ALL clips or just specific effects?
  I use premiere on older and newer spec machines and never seen that.  My laptop is only an i7/16gb/1060 machine and when im rendering files it maxes the CPU and ram but doesnt crash out.

You might get a better response on the official Adobe Premiere forums than here as this sounds app specific.
2018-8-13
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

I had similar problems with Adobe Premiere Elements.  My advice would be to try Davinci Resolve (there is a free version) - It takes a little  while to get used to, but I find it a much better performing editor for the platform processing power.  I find the free version does all my needs.
2018-8-13
Use props
fans000e33df
New
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-13 09:40
It shouldnt crash once it runs out of RAM.  Worst case it should swap it out to disk.  Have you got lots of disk space remaining. Are you using any plugins?
You can configure max ram and resource usage in the preferences if you want to test but shouldnt have do to that.  Does this happen on ALL clips or just specific effects?
  I use premiere on older and newer spec machines and never seen that.  My laptop is only an i7/16gb/1060 machine and when im rendering files it maxes the CPU and ram but doesnt crash out.

Yeah I currently stepped over to Adobe to post there.

It's not crashing, rather hanging up.  Once the RAM is maxed it's waiting for room to move to do anything else.  I have premiere set up pretty optimal.  It should be doing this.  I have another Boxx on my desk with dual Xeons and 32 gb RAM... it does just fine with these videos and is 6 years old.

This is only happening with the footage from the Mavic.  I have 3 hard drives one being an M2 and the other just a standard ssd.  The 3rd is just storage... a regular spinning drive.

I use Resolve from time to time but I'd rather figure out what the heck is going on with this Mavic footage.

Thanks for the replies.
2018-8-13
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.2

United States

Couple things I understand

1. the new macbook pro has an incompatibility with adobe premiere and professional users have been ditching it since the recent release, no sure if this is your case.
2. nvidia and adobe has some legal issues and removed certain software support (make sure you have CUDA installed, if not this can also be a problem), I don't think that is still the case but check your version and setup.
3. DJI uses consumer level codecs that are horrible for editing, even on the best machines

If it is not a hardware problem consult a proper workflow for editing, install the appropriate software, and if that fails, you'll want to transcode to dnxhd or prores for an NLE friendly codec,, if that is not possible you can also use proxies.
2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules