690 9 2018-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all

I have just got back into owning a P4P Just trying to get used to all the settings again, all seems good on the app settings, been ages since I done IMU and compass calibrations, last time I owned a P4P there was talk about if to do a compass calibration or not, what would you suggest doing with a secondhand unit ? any other pointers ? quite easy to forget what you need to do lol
2018-8-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. regarding with your concern. I would suggest for that checking if the aircraft is on the latest firmware then you can do as well the calibration starting from the Gimbal, Imu and Compass just to make sure it's all working good.
2018-8-13
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will not do any harm doing them. Plus it will give you peace of mind that they have been done. If I got one I would certainly do it. Also give the machine a proper check over for cracks, damage etc.
2018-8-13
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for reply Stephen, I have already done the update for the p4p, it says the tx is up to date, I will do the gimbal imu and compass tomorrow eve
2018-8-13
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

All checked over and like new he said it had done 5 hours flying, it also has 4 p4p batteries, chargedtgem up in the hub, only as yet fitted one of them in the drone and it said it had been charged 7 times,  I will mark that battery  up with a number so I can check what the others have done
2018-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2018-8-13 12:41
Thanks for reply Stephen, I have already done the update for the p4p, it says the tx is up to date, I will do the gimbal imu and compass tomorrow eve

If the Phantom flies normally, there is no need to calibrate anything.
Recalibrating unnecessarily won't improve a thing.
Unless there is a problem or you modify the Phantom, there should never be any need to recalibrate.
2018-8-13
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So no need to do the compass dance if all flys ok ?
2018-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2018-8-13 22:10

That's right.
My P4 pro is more than 1.5 yrs old and flown several times each week without ever calibrating anything.
If it flies straight and hovers in place without slowly spiraling, everything is as good as it's going to be.
2018-8-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2018-8-13 22:10

Aloha SWW,

That is correct.  But as Labroides noted, check everything carefully to see if it operates properly.  There should be nothing "odd" that you do not understand.  There should be a reason for every performance variable.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-13
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thanks for your replies lads, much appreciated
2018-8-15
Use props
Advanced