Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark attacked by angry bees!
2288 31 2018-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137487 ft
United States

Hi everyone,

New Spark owner here.  Been lurking on this board for the last few weeks, so I wanted to drop in and say hello.  I have about 15 mostly trouble-free flights so far, but I did have something interesting and somewhat scary happen a few days ago.

I was flying my spark (and taking video) about 1/2 mile from my house and I lost connection to the drone.  It went into RTH mode and fairly quickly re-established a connection to the RC.  I could see it returning to home on my phone screen and since the battery was getting low anyway, I just let it continue to RTH.  At this point, I was no longer looking at my phone screen, I was looking up waiting for the Spark to appear.  Soon enough I saw it above my head at 200ft (RTH altitude) and I let it continue to land.  The Spark landed flawlessly but when I went to pick it up, I noticed something was splattered all over it.  I also noticed a single bee flying near it, but it didn't seem bothered by the Spark or me picking it up.  It wasn't until I went inside looked at my Spark more carefully and replayed the video that I saw what had happened.  A swarm of angry bees attacked my Spark!  I then realized that the angry swarm was directly above my head, albeit 200ft up!   I've since flown and had no bee issues.  Has anyone else had this happen to them before?

The Skypixel video is below.

Also, here is what the Spark looked like when I brought it inside.  If you look carefully, you can see part of a bee on the rear leg of the Spark.

Spark2.jpg
Spark1..jpg
2018-8-13
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

Wow they were on full mode attack. Its happend to me but not that many. i bet those props chopped alot of them up lol
2018-8-13
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

I had a Hubsan 507A which attracted bees regularly. There are some YouTube videos of this happening. The theory was that the Hubsan motors emitted frequencies that attracted the bees.
2018-8-13
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU Posted at 2018-8-13 11:35
Wow they were on full mode attack. Its happend to me but not that many. i bet those props chopped alot of them up lol

Yeah, they were pretty aggressive and I'm sure I thinned out the population a bit with the props!  The underside of the props were pretty gunked up with bee goo and pollen.  I should have taken a pictures of the props but I didn't think of it until I had already cleaned them.
2018-8-13
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-13 14:13
I had a Hubsan 507A which attracted bees regularly. There are some YouTube videos of this happening. The theory was that the Hubsan motors emitted frequencies that attracted the bees.

Interesting theory about the sound.  I wonder if the sound of the Spark motors also attract bees?  Guess I'll see if it happens again as I now know I have a bee hive fairly close to my house somewhere.
2018-8-13
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

The Hubsan had brushed motors and gears, so it probably generated  different frequencies to that of the Spark.

So far I haven't sliced any bees with my Spark, but I did get an interested look from a hawk.
2018-8-13
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Hi and welcome to forums...

That's an awesome video..   Spark sounds like a swarm of Bees from the sound it makes.    I would imagine the real Bees might have confused it with a Enemy Queen and were attacking it.   

Edit : Lucky you got drone back and they didnt do too much damage to it.   Poor lil Bees....
2018-8-13
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Never Bees that i'm aware of but definitely a few of these guys...Barn Swallows
https://cdn.audubon.org/cdn/farfuture/jE85Z2LhPzXGMKxrQviitLmgoAO52f4d4uOw953qmgo/mtime:1422550707/sites/default/files/Barn_Swallow_c22-37-030_l_1.jpg

Too Bad for the Bees... the spark is like a blender.

2018-8-13
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I bet you got a real buzz from that flight!
2018-8-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You got a real killer, Sir. Actually, the sound of our sparks reminded me from the very beginning on a bee swarm! Perhaps the bees think that, too?
2018-8-14
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Captain
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I have experienced this..... On my first flight it was worrying!!
Now bees have flight paths and when you invade there flight paths they attack, and when a bee is murdered they amp up the attack!! There's blogs on this subject. All you can do is quickly fly up or down, i landed mine straight away and it was covered in bee blood!!! I felt bad. Generally a springtime problem but also summer of course!!!
2018-8-14
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

The Bees just wanted to make friends with the Drone.

They all just got - BEE HEADED.

2018-8-14
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-8-13 18:54
https://cdn.audubon.org/cdn/farfuture/jE85Z2LhPzXGMKxrQviitLmgoAO52f4d4uOw953qmgo/mtime:1422550707/sites/default/files/Barn_Swallow_c22-37-030_l_1.jpg

Have seen a flock of those circling my Spark. Not sure what attracted them to it, the sound or the fact it was a strange looking object in the air with them. No bee encounters, though.
2018-8-14
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Very interesting and informative
2018-8-14
Use props
Blellow
Captain
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dragonflies are interested in my spark, but smart enough to not be killed by it.
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-13 15:51
Hi and welcome to forums...

That's an awesome video..   Spark sounds like a swarm of Bees from the sound it makes.    I would imagine the real Bees might have confused it with a Enemy Queen and were attacking it.   

Thanks Greg!  Yeah, drone was fine but dirty.  I'm the type of guy that rescues honey bees from my pool when I see them drowning, so I felt bad that I probably chopped up a bunch of them.
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-8-13 18:54

Wow, I would hate for my Spark to be attacked by even one of these birds!  I'm sure the results would not be pretty!
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-14 04:32
You got a real killer, Sir. Actually, the sound of our sparks reminded me from the very beginning on a bee swarm! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1v4c0v6FoI Perhaps the bees think that, too?

Wow, you're right!  The sound IS very similar.
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

WilfredSparkman 0 Posted at 2018-8-14 06:49
Yes I have experienced this..... On my first flight it was worrying!!
Now bees have flight paths and when you invade there flight paths they attack, and when a bee is murdered they amp up the attack!! There's blogs on this subject. All you can do is quickly fly up or down, i landed mine straight away and it was covered in bee blood!!!  I felt bad. Generally a springtime problem but also summer of course!!!

Flying up or down is good to know.  If this ever happens again, I'll be sure to try that.  I'm just glad the swarm didn't follow my Spark all the way to the ground.  That could have been a real Buzz kill!  
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-8-14 07:04

LOL!  
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-14 07:32
Very interesting and informative

Thanks nixuspix!
2018-8-14
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

wow, that is pretty cool but to bad the bees suffered a few injuries in the process.
2018-8-14
Use props
Northwood
Captain
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

The population of honey bees in the world is dwindling, it  is a bad thing, they are responsible for so much pollination, something which humans are so unaware of.  Sad for these guys for sure.  I did some bee-keeping when I was in my teens, learned about their flight paths, and they are quite territorial around their hives.
2018-8-14
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-8-14 07:04

i see what you did there
2018-8-14
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
United States

Tervist Posted at 2018-8-14 07:32
Have seen a flock of those circling my Spark. Not sure what attracted them to it, the sound or the fact it was a strange looking object in the air with them. No bee encounters, though.

Yes same here, they are brave enough to come in for a close up inspection, and agile enough to avoid you in sport mode. Barn swallows move a lot like the drone they have sharp movements. Saying that they can change direction RAPIDLY in flight would almost be an understatement. I have observed  them come in then circle it a bit at close range then they fly off often repeating the behavior several times. I have never seen one come in contact with my drone but I have seen them come in CLOSE. It visually appears as they are being initially agressive with the Spark, leading with their tallons and retreating just prior to contact, then go back several times just to make sure its not a threat. The encounter lasts only seconds and is useually at a low altitudes my encounters have been between 20 & 80' at or just under tree-top level.  

2018-8-14
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-8-14 11:29
The population of honey bees in the world is dwindling, it  is a bad thing, they are responsible for so much pollination, something which humans are so unaware of.  Sad for these guys for sure.  I did some bee-keeping when I was in my teens, learned about their flight paths, and they are quite territorial around their hives.

Yep.... no Bees no People.
2018-8-14
Use props
SirLurksalot
lvl.4
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-8-14 11:29

I agree completely!  I felt bad that I likely killed so many bees that day...  
2018-8-14
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

SirLurksalot Posted at 2018-8-14 09:55
Thanks Greg!  Yeah, drone was fine but dirty.  I'm the type of guy that rescues honey bees from my pool when I see them drowning, so I felt bad that I probably chopped up a bunch of them.

oh well not like you could see them that high...
2018-8-14
Use props
mhw#209
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96319 ft
United States

Wow, thats crazy!
2018-8-14
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

wow hahaha some of them get killed by the props
2018-8-15
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3483304 ft
Canada

This is hilarious. My Tello got attacked by bats, but i was usuing the extender and flying around 100ft up and the video was choppy and couldnt make out anything else but a black spot flying in the cameras angle, but from below i clearely saw bats...so funny how these drones give us a broader view of a world we rarely get to see and that lives just above our heads, a world where intruders get sent back home quickly...i would have been hysterical if my tello got attacked. The spark i just got had been the subject of bird curiosity but i guess they got scared from the sound it was making
2018-8-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What a mess lol
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now