DJI Mavic Pro in Lufthansa Airlines
8040 10 2018-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
9TANK9
lvl.2

United States

Hello Kind Djians,

I am flying from Vienna, Austria to Iceland in November with my DJI Mavic Pro. I couldnt find any policy for carrying battery in the airplane on the Airline website and I have seen such topics here before but I just wanted to double check if something changed.

1. Should I carry Lipo safe cases for it?
2. The drone with the batteries should be carried in the Handluggage?
3. Anyother tips for travelling with the Drone in the Airplane?

I dont have a flying License as well, would that be a problem ?

Thanks,
Tank

2018-8-13
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I think the best solution is to call or email the airline directly as I think it's different by country (and probably even by airline). I know in the USA that most airlines require the batteries to be in LIPO bags and I have read some articles where they even require them to be discharged. Again, best bet is to call or email them directly.
2018-8-13
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi , i flew lufthansa many many times, check their page on website regarding dangerous goods and lithium batteries. With the pro or air , you have to carry it in handbag not checked in luggage. You can put 1 in drone and you can take 2 spares. Nothing mentionned about lipo bags , but i always but them in these bags , i always discharge them completely or half full. Further never had problems
2018-8-13
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Hi 9TANK9,

As Paul already mentioned above, the best solution here is to call or email the airline. However, I flew this year from Madrid to Munich with my drone (MPP) using Lufthansa. There was no problem at all. I made sure all three of my batteries are discharged half way down. 2 of them I placed into LIPO bags and the third one I left in the aircraft itself. Everything goes into your carry-on (hand luggage).

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Make sure to put the drone into a tray when at security (like you do with a laptop) as they have always asked me to show it afterwards when I left it in my backpack.
2018-8-13
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

For the drone you dont need a licence and also you dont have to show , however for flying the airplane you need one
2018-8-13
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Marian Posted at 2018-8-13 22:12
Hi 9TANK9,

As Paul already mentioned above, the best solution here is to call or email the airline. However, I flew this year from Madrid to Munich with my drone (MPP) using Lufthansa. There was no problem at all. I made sure all three of my batteries are discharged half way down. 2 of them I placed into LIPO bags and the third one I left in the aircraft itself. Everything goes into your carry-on (hand luggage).

I did the same trip from frankfurt to iceland and Marian is correct!

Remember in Iceland 80% you CANT fly with a drone !
2018-8-13
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/ ... ous-goods#Batteries

Read under "Portable electronic devices with lithium"

Easy answer; yes you can bring your drone on a Lufthansa flight as a carry-on. Do not check in batteries.
2018-8-13
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Portugal

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-8-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. Normally, there is no issue taking the drone to the airport and on-board, but you can try to confirm with the airline company you are going to fly with. Your airline should have guidelines available on their policies on their website but if you can't find that information, I would recommend you to contact the airline directly. For taking the drone to other countries, you can learn the drone regulations of the countries which you are going to by using this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe I hope this will help.
2018-8-14
Use props
9TANK9
lvl.2

United States

I am waiting for the Email reply from Lufthansa just to be on the safer side and I will update here as soon as I get any information.

Thanks Lads for the Vital Information. I will also share a copy of the Email here so everyone can print it out incase of suspicion.
2018-8-23
Use props
9TANK9
lvl.2

United States

Here is the mail,

Lufthansa DJI Mavic Pro QUERY.pdf

21.9 KB, Down times: 77

Mail

2018-10-5
Use props
Advanced