Flyaway. Recovered with Video
2436 30 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Very sad day today.  I have just experienced a Flyaway with my P2VP..    Can you guys help me out with what my options are.

Purcahsed 27/01/2015

All batteries were charged 100% before taking off.
Home point set sucessfully before taking off.
10 Satellites before talking off.
Never had a hick up before.

Damage:
Something is missing on the Gimbal.  It looks like some sort of cover for the camera cable.
Prop Guard Broken
One motor seemd a bit stiff, but after removing the broken propguard and re screwing, it seems better.  But still have to test.

I will post footage of the flyaway soon..

Is there anyway DJI would refund this machine? I purchased directly from DJI

Don't fly these over crowds!!!  Im lucky to recover it.  If it flew in the opposite direction it would have flown out to sea.

Please help

2015-5-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Use the support link HERE
They will ask you to send it in for assessment and give you an RMA number.
Please post the video when its done so we can see what happened.

What are your thoughts as to why it flew away ?
2015-5-26
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

I am uploading to YouTube.   as soon as its online I will post link.

It took me a good 2 hours walking through thorns and fields in the sun to find it..   I had to use the wifi signal and judge how close it was based on how strong the signal was.

I have no idea what could have caused this..   10 satellites, full batteries and no possible cause of interference that I could think of..  

I was steadying and descending  slowly preparing to land with approx 35% battery left..

It looks like one of my motors is slightly crooked.  
2015-5-26
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Footage here ->   

Flyaway starts at 4:23

What to you guys think?

2015-5-26
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-5-27 02:17
Footage here ->   

Flyaway starts at 4: ...

Hi there and sorry for your crash.
May I ask if you switch off the phantom after calibration  for some reason and then on again ?
Or did you landing the drone before the crash switch off and after minutes switch on again but with the same battery ?

2015-5-26
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2015-5-27 03:58
Hi there and sorry for your crash.
May I ask if you switch off the phantom after calibration  for  ...

no, never.  I calibrate.   take 4 steps back, check satellites and battery, and takeoff...

and i always calibrate before takeoff.  even from the same point..  when i land i always swap to a fresh battery.  this time, i was only on my first battery.
2015-5-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

This is just a guess but your video and others I have seen look like a ESC or motor starts to go bad and looses RPM and the other motors pick up speed to compensate causing the look of a "fly away" while its is also slowly loosing altitude until it hits ground.
2015-5-26
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

That's a tough one. At 4:54 it changed direction. Had it been an ESC/ motor failure I would have suspected it to continue on the present  course but that was a 30 degree change. This one ??? Could have been that you were flipping switches/ controls trying to recover.  Have you hooked back to the assistant to see what it shows?
2015-5-26
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-27 05:01
That's a tough one. At 4:54 it changed direction. Had it been an ESC/ motor failure I would have sus ...

i was trying to regain control...  so yes i was moving the sticks.   when it changed direction i still had no control

what should i look for on assistant?
2015-5-26
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Sorry about your Phantom, at least it was recovered. It is something I don't look forward to....$$$$$ flying off in the breeze
2015-5-26
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Can someone kindly post a picture of the camera of their P2VP from the left hand side, with the camera facing yourself?  I just want to compare it with mine to ensure it is intact.  That would be of great help.  Thanks
2015-5-26
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-5-27 15:56
Can someone kindly post a picture of the camera of their P2VP from the left hand side, with the came ...

Sorry to witness the crash, up until then I was enjoying the scenery
I could almost hear the poor thing screaming in pain "Help, I'm over here"

Anyway, I took 4 photos of the camera
I hope this helps?
Facing.jpg
Right.jpg
Rear.jpg
Left.jpg
2015-5-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Anatomy of a DJI flyaway
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/anatomy-of-a-dji-flyaway-1
2015-5-27
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-28 01:18
Anatomy of a DJI flyaway
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/anatomy-of-a-dji-flyaway-1

Nice one Raybro, that's very informative, hopefully it will shed some light into the problem some people are having?
Perhaps even DJI might take note and look into improving the NAZA module? (won't hold my breath though lol)
2015-5-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

BazzaVMC Posted at 2015-5-28 01:27
Nice one Raybro, that's very informative, hopefully it will shed some light into the problem some  ...

Right!
2015-5-27
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

Yeah I guess I better be careful of what I say, someone might confuse me for a comedian {:3_48:}
2015-5-27
Use props
Numpty clive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This is why I get major butterflies before each
flight. So sorry about the crash but at least you found
her again.
2015-5-27
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

BazzaVMC Posted at 2015-5-28 01:11
Sorry to witness the crash, up until then I was enjoying the scenery
I could almost hear the poor  ...

Helps alot.  Just wanted to check everything is in place.  Which they seem to be.

I emailed DJI support 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet. Do they normally take so long??
2015-5-28
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-5-29 01:16
Helps alot.  Just wanted to check everything is in place.  Which they seem to be.

I emailed DJI s ...

I've never dealt with DJI, but I have read a few forum threads that they do take a long time to reply, apparently customer service is pretty poor...

Good luck
2015-5-28
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

I have never ever got a reply from emailing DJI
2015-5-28
Use props
dmiles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455312 ft
United States

I was not as lucky as you. My fly away happened at the beginning of the flight. Had home lock, 12 sats. At aprox. 20 meters altitude, 10 meters from home position, it just took a hard lean to the south, and took off. I had no control of any function. Switched to failsafe, then switched off transmitter as I was running down the road. I have no video, and no phantom 2 to send to DJI. Pretty sure it will not be recovered, at least not by me. I have long since suspected esc failure.

The "support" page is just for decoration. They have never responded to any email, and it's been over a month. I've heard you have to call, then they will tell you to send it in, and wait. Glad you got it back at least. The P3 looks tempting, but a fly away changes a man. I'm waiting to see how the solo pans out. In the mean time I did get a deal on a Phantom 2 that had a bad esc. I replaced it, and I must say, this Phantom has performed well so far. But then again, so had the other one until that day.....

I did find one thing interesting when I was in the process of replacing the esc on my ebay bargain. After I totally removed the bad esc, I started it up with no props, mainly to ensure that I had actually pulled the bad esc. It started up, and I could rev it up as much as I wanted. It had no idea that an esc was totally missing. I have noticed that if you try to start up with the esc "data" cable unplugged, it will not start up. But if one is totally missing, good to go. That is what is making me believe that esc failure is what caused my fly away.

If you do end up perusing support, I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure many here would appreciate hearing how it goes.
2015-5-28
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Did you just send an email or did you fill out a support request ?  The request is the way to go. I have always gotten a reply to the support request. How about others are you getting a response?
2015-5-29
Use props
dmiles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455312 ft
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-29 18:50
Did you just send an email or did you fill out a support request ?  The request is the way to go. I  ...

Support request. Absolutely zero response. In my opinion, that is the absolute worst thing a company can possibly do. Even a response of "we can't help you" at least has some common courtesy and respect.
2015-5-29
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-29 18:50
Did you just send an email or did you fill out a support request ?  The request is the way to go. I  ...

I filled out a support request.  I didnt even get an automated email reply.  I thought maybe i had a mistake in my email address so tried again to be sure.  Nothing!!!  Will wait till Tuesday and if I dont get a reply will have to call..   Thats frustrating...
2015-5-29
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-5-26 21:31
Use the support link HERE
They will ask you to send it in for assessment and give you an RMA number. ...

Tried twice through the link.  Not even an acknowledgement email..   :/  Found a support email to use..

Got ahold of a rep through Phantom 3 chat, and all he said was, sorry we did not get your email..  

Not Happy
2015-6-2
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

yeah don't bother using email, you have to call... and be ready for a decent wait time - 30 mins or so.  Speaker phone is your friend.

I did notice the drone was flying right over some power lines (not high tension power lines mind you).  Wonder if that was a factor with interference or something...  
2015-6-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-5-26 22:27
I am uploading to YouTube.   as soon as its online I will post link.

It took me a good 2 hours walk ...

This might seem like a dumb question, but I recently had a bit of a crash and I had a motor that was crooked.  And that's when I noticed that only 2 of the 4 motor screws were installed on all the motors!!  I dug around through the repair kit and sure enough, the other 8 bolts were in there!  So I screwed them all in so all 4 bolts were screwed in and suddenly the crooked motor was straight again.  Do you have 2 bols or 4 per motor?

Dan
2015-6-3
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Faken Posted at 2015-6-4 00:05
This might seem like a dumb question, but I recently had a bit of a crash and I had a motor that w ...

4 per motor.   the reason why mine is crooked is because on impact, the prop guard snapped off, but the prop guard is fastened using the same screws that hold the motor.  So when the prop guards snapped off, the force also skewed the motor.  At least this is my theory.   Since Prop guards and motor use the same screws.
2015-6-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-6-4 02:16
4 per motor.   the reason why mine is crooked is because on impact, the prop guard snapped off, bu ...

That's what I thought.  I have no idea why mine shipped with 2 screws installed instead of 4.  And this was from DJI...
2015-6-3
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Anyone have experience dealing with DJI support?  I sent mine back to Germany..      If it was possible, I would ask for a refund. Is it?  My confidence is shattered flying this, knowing it can just fly off :/
2015-6-22
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

Hi everyone.

Got an email saying my drone is being shipped back.  I asked them what they had repaired.  They told me an MC was replaced and the drone was fully updated and calibrated.  What are they referring to?

Thanks
2015-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules