687 3 2018-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ScottH69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8350600 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry if this post seems ridiculous, but I did try to find out the answer before posting this. I have been playing around with manual iso and shutter speed with Spark within DJI Go with some success. Never used lens filters before (ie: Polar Pro Cinematic, etc)....so just a couple of questions and thanks so much for any insight!

- if you seem to get good results at setting exposure via the manual route, do you need to even consider filters?
- if you do go the filter route, do you use them (ex: ND16 on a sunny day) in conjunction with using manual exposure settings? Or filter + auto exposure?

Sorry for newbie questions and thanks for any explanation(s)!  Just trying to get my head wrapped around this.

2018-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

There is a rule...I think the 180 Rule that says for nice smooth motion during videos with movement (versus choppy), you want a shutter speed twice the frame rate.  E.G. for Spark's set 30 fps you want 1/60th shutter speed.  So on a sunny day, you would need ND filters...even ND32 maybe...to try and lower the shutter speed to 1/60th.
2018-8-13
Use props
ScottH69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8350600 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-8-13 19:03
There is a rule...I think the 180 Rule that says for nice smooth motion during videos with movement (versus choppy), you want a shutter speed twice the frame rate.  E.G. for Spark's set 30 fps you want 1/60th shutter speed.  So on a sunny day, you would need ND filters...even ND32 maybe...to try and lower the shutter speed to 1/60th.

Ahhh....so it sounds like if you cannot manually "push" to the 1/60th (180 rule) on a very sunny day, the ND filters will help you get there?  So....manual exposure setting + ND filter is what it sounds like.

THanks.
2018-8-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

ScottH69 Posted at 2018-8-14 06:37
Ahhh....so it sounds like if you cannot manually "push" to the 1/60th (180 rule) on a very sunny day, the ND filters will help you get there?  So....manual exposure setting + ND filter is what it sounds like.

THanks.

Even if you could, that would result in a horribly overexposed footage... which for video is generally even worse than underexposed.
2018-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules